Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 3d glasses

Reply to topic
3d glasses
Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:23 pm
I have shutter 3d glasses which are for a device called 3d theatre to watch movies in 3d, i want to know if i can use these on a sms mark 1, with the 3d glasses adaptor to play 3d games, the glasses have a cable and a plug at the end to plug into the back of the 3d theatre.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 pm
Well, plug it in and try it!

The Famicom 3-D glasses work in the SMS flawlessly, so there is a chance that similarly-built glasses will too.
Fantastic replacement 3d glasses!! Better than the original!
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 am
Something told me these glasses would be pretty cool. I picked one pair up on eBay and I must say, they blow Sega's original hardware out of the water. Larger windows, brighter image (presumably the unshuttered window is less opaque), just fantastic!

If anyone is interested, there are still some available: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120341244236

How do Famicom glasses look?
Re: Fantastic replacement 3d glasses!! Better than the original!
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:39 am
Mike Cukan wrote
I must say, they blow Sega's original hardware out of the water. Larger windows, brighter image (presumably the unshuttered window is less opaque), just fantastic!

so do they actually work with the SMS? same plug, no mods needed? just plug and play 3D games?
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 pm
It has a regular 3.5mm TRS plug. All you do is plug it into your Sega 3-D adapter or Japanese SMS 3D socket (I tested both). Gorgeous.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:28 pm
Lovely, I am gonna buy two :)
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:40 pm
Bock wrote

hold on, me too!
they're cheaper than fuck too :)
thanks for the heads up, Mike!
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:55 pm
Bock wrote

I just bought myself a pair too. :-) Thanks for the recommendation, Mike, and if they don't live up to your review it doesn't really matter at that price!
Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 am
do those ones in the Ebay link plug directly into the card port or do you have to have that adapter you mentioned earlier?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 am
You need to have the adapter that plugs into the card port (shown at bottom left in the photo): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/3099572254_6990f67be4_m.jpg

Or a Japanese SMS with built-in socket.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 am
How hard would it be to make your own, for example to add support to an SMS2 or make an internal SMS1 mod to avoid typing up the card slot?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm
I've been thinking of the second solution Maxim mentioned, but I've been squeamish about opening up my adapter! Nevertheless, I can't imagine it would be difficult to reproduce the circuitry. Thanks to these cheap Chinese PCB services I bet it wouldn't be hard to even create replica adapters for SMS1 owners who don't want to mod their consoles.

I don't know enough about how card ports are hooked in to address lines to consider working on an SMS2 (or even Game Gear?) mod.

If anyone has an extra 3D adapter - maybe no longer functioning because of damaged pins? - I would definitely love to hear from you.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:40 pm
Here's how I understand it...

The cart, card, BIOS and expansion ports are all "live", it's just the /CE lines that are managed to avoid contention. From the software side, you write to any address in the range $fff8-b, i.e. address %11111111111110xx, and the glasses "side" is selected by bit 0 of what you wrote. On the hardware side, I presume it is using /M8-B and /M0-7 to infer A15, ANDing most of the rest together with /MReq, and triggering a flip-flop that's controlling the side of the glasses that's getting powered.

I guess nobody ever experimented to see exactly which address lines matter - since writing to 0-$c000 makes no sense (usually), it may not be necessary to watch them all.

Of course, a donor adaptor would be the way to go. If the homebrew version needs 20 solder points then it might be a problem...
Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am
There's a circuit diagram on Enri's website:
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~haf09260/Mark3/EnrM3.htm

It's the last one on the page.

My new pair of 3D glasses arrived today, I'll build the circuit and report back.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm
Do you know what voltage/frequency the Sega 3D glasses run at? I've seen 5V, 9V, 10V and 12V circuits for a PC adaptor, and 400Hz seems to be the closest I've found to a frequency.

Edit: I built myself a PC adaptor based on the second design on this page, but am using the PC's 12V DTR line as power. It works very well. :-)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 pm
got my 3D glasses in the mail today! they sure work like a charm, much clearer picture than my dirty old second hand official SegaScope goggles.
they fit in my huge-ass head much better than the Sega glasses too, I was starting to feel like I had a fucking balloon for a head, no wonder that so many of them have broken earpieces by now :)

I *still* can't see the 3D effect like I think I should, but I guess that's more a problem with my own eyes than with anything else...

thanks again, this is a nice and dirt-cheap way of playing your 3D games, assuming you have a loose 3D adaptor, that is!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:08 pm
I have a big, round Slavic pate and I also wear glasses (sorry ladies, I am happily married). I should have mentioned that the 3D glasses fit snugly - well, tautly - over my prescription specs. It is conceivable (if unlikely) that someone might have even wider prescription specs than I; you will not be able to use the 3D Theater glasses unless you do some sort of physical modification.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 pm
My 2 pairs of 3-D glasses arrived yesterday. These babies are pretty cool actually. Plugged them in and the 3-D effect is as good as Sega’s efforts. Infact the picture through these is much lighter, this is because you’re not looking through dark black plastic like you do with the original glasses.

This you might feel is a good thing, my problem is that after about 5 minutes my eyes began to ache. Due to these being lighter, the flickery effect (with the shutters opening and closing) is far more noticeable and thus started to hurt my eyes much quicker than with the Sega glasses. You don’t notice it really when playing games with a dark background like Zaxxon or Blade Eagle, but I found games such Maze Hunter 3-D difficult to play. I slipped on Sega’s specs, a lot darker picture, but there was no real distracting flicker.

I mean as a spare pair these are great and at that price you can’t complain. If you really want to play the Sega 3-D games at length, I suggest you pay a bit more and go with the original glasses.

This is my own personal opinion, some people might not agree. There must be a practical reason why the glasses were made so dark, as well as looking really cool!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!