Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear unlicensed Tetris (was: Is this a rare game??)

Reply to topic
Game Gear unlicensed Tetris (was: Is this a rare game??)
Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 pm
I think that it is a pirate game... isn't it???

but is a rare game???

If is the original tetris kind of game, I will buy it.

mb480m.jpg (9.04 KB)
mb480m.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:26 am
It is Super Tetris, a Korean unlicensed clone originally running on the Master System (where you can play 2 players).
Difficult to say about the rarity of pirate items, as we are not well exposed to them. As with most pirate games it worth not much which is good.
Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 pm
Although I'd prefer to see GG games on SMS instead of SMS games on GG (so we could play them on real hardware on the big screen), I do enjoy seeing these pirate cards.

Here's another one for GG, Street Fighter II - apparently based on Sangokushi 3 for SMS:
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:36 pm
It's not even "based on" - it's just the SMS ROM with the GG running in SMS mode. Hence why these are more common, there's no work required compared to a substantial amount to rework a GG game for the big screen.

Also, apart from Korea, the GG was much bigger than the SMS in countries with significant pirate game industries. In Korea, that got us MSX hacks and a few "original" games.
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 am
Maxim wrote
Also, apart from Korea, the GG was much bigger than the SMS in countries with significant pirate game industries. In Korea, that got us MSX hacks and a few "original" games.

I really love the Korean SMS games. Likely because one never could read about them in the magazines, so it's a bit like seeing entirely new games being released.

- What MSX hacks are you referring to ?

Maxim wrote
It's not even "based on" - it's just the SMS ROM with the GG running in SMS mode.

What I meant is that this game is a Street Fighter II hack (in this case running on a GG) which is obviously based on Sangokushi III for MS. Never saw that game before. Here's the link again:

- There aren't that many GG games that run in SMS mode, basically just Castle of Illusion, yes ?

Maxim wrote
Hence why these are more common, there's no work required compared to a substantial amount to rework a GG game for the big screen.

Hey, would it be possible to mod a GG into an SMS so it would play games from both systems ? Would be kinda sexy if it would work ^_^
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:26 am
Christuserloeser wrote
- There aren't that many GG games that run in SMS mode, basically just Castle of Illusion, yes ?
Olympic Gold iirc
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:45 am
Christuserloeser wrote

There's loads on n-hap (Korean for n-in-1) cartridges, but they're mostly undumped/unreleased. There are released dumps of Super Boy II, The Three Dragon Story and Dr. HELLO.

Christuserloeser wrote
What I meant is that this game is a Street Fighter II hack (in this case running on a GG) which is obviously based on Sangokushi III for MS.

I hadn't noticed the similarity before. It doesn't look like a hack, just code reuse. It is dumped, by the way.

Christuserloeser wrote

Castle of Illusion
Excellent Dizzy Collection, The
Fantastic Dizzy
Jang Pung II
Olympic Gold
Out Run Europa
Predator 2
Prince of Persia
R.C. Grand Prix
Rastan Saga
Super Kick Off
Taito Chase H.Q.
WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge

Christuserloeser wrote
Hey, would it be possible to mod a GG into an SMS so it would play games from both systems ? Would be kinda sexy if it would work ^_^

Isn't that what a Master Gear does?
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm
Can I see somewhere what the MS or GG version of this tetris looks like?
Does it have 100% playability or is the game funky?
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:56 pm
D wrote
Can I see somewhere what the MS or GG version of this tetris looks like?
Does it have 100% playability or is the game funky?

From what I remember it is a pretty decent rendition of Tetris.

Maxim wrote
There's loads on n-hap (Korean for n-in-1) cartridges, but they're mostly undumped/unreleased. There are released dumps of Super Boy II, The Three Dragon Story and Dr. HELLO.

Ah, I wasn't actually aware of the fact that these originated on the MSX.

Maxim wrote
I hadn't noticed the similarity before. It doesn't look like a hack, just code reuse.

You're right, it looks way too close to a real SF game than to be hack.

Maxim wrote
It is dumped, by the way.

[...]

Jang Pung II

- That's the game from the YouTube video.

Maxim wrote
Christuserloeser wrote

Isn't that what a Master Gear does?

Yeah, exactly. Wouldn't it be possible to mod a GG+Master Gear adapter into a SMS, so it works with games from both systems on the big screen ? Has something like this been attempted ? Would it still work with the FM chip ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 am
Christuserloeser wrote
From what I remember it is a pretty decent rendition of Tetris.

It's a bare-bones implementation of the game, barely more than Heliophobe's Tetracycline. Tetris really needs a little more polish to make it fun.

Christuserloeser wrote
Wouldn't it be possible to mod a GG+Master Gear adapter into a SMS, so it works with games from both systems on the big screen?

You wouldn't be able to mod an SMS into a GG without basically reimplementing the IO and VDP chips in FPGAs or something. You could take a GG, implement the RGB mod, stuff it into an SMS case, wire up an SMS cart port in parallel with the GG port, mod the controller to interface with the GG's buttons, maybe figure out that SMS mode player 2 controller connection to the Gear-to-Gear port... and you'd have almost everything, but I think the FM mod would be out of the question.

Alternatively, just have an SMS and stuff a GG into the case, modded as above. It'd be the same as stuffing any two random consoles in a box, though. Or even four.
compilation cartridges
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:04 pm
Hi

I was wondering where all thes compilation cartridges come from!

Does this mean that all X in 1 games cartridges come from Korea or were there also some released in other countries. I have included a few images I have.

Lots of games say Sega Mark III. Is that a console that was released before the Master System?

Others seem like clones of official Ni****do games. eg. Super Boy II

Also, I have two boxed Xin1 games for the Game Gear. Does SMS Power want big scans of these for this website?

Thanks, Rob
53in1.jpg (18.74 KB)
53in1.jpg
53in1-small.jpg (28.86 KB)
53in1-small.jpg
68in1.jpg (40.54 KB)
68in1.jpg
dea1_1.JPG (33.94 KB)
dea1_1.JPG

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:41 pm
Pirate GG cartridges mostly come from Taiwan and Hong Kong (and thus ultimately from China), with some Japanese production. They were sold everywhere, though, so long as the importers were able to hook up with the buyers. I never saw any in the UK, most people I knew got their pirate stuff from HK.

The Mark III was the predecessor to the Master System in Japan. It was much the same hardware (compatible with all SMS games) but had additional "computer" features. Pirate games from 1986 to 1988 would have used that text.

If you want to submit scans then they will always be welcomed.
pirate and rare converters
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm
Hi I have a pic of a SEGA Master Gear converter and a picture of mine which states "THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT OF KABUSHIKI KAISHA SEGA ENTERPRISES OR AN OF TS SUBSIDIARY OR ASSOCIATED COMPANIES"

My converter takes about 10 goes to get a damned game to work but they do work in the end.

Is this a pirate converter of lesser quality? I have added some pics of other non-sega Master Gears I have found.

Cheers

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:55 pm
Christuserloeser wrote

I have a Chinese GG cartridge with a lot of quality Konami games.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 am
Back at my parents for Christmas, I remembered a pirate Game Gear cartridge was sitting around. As far as I know, the cartridge came from Hong Kong, and it looks much more similar to official cartridges than the ones posted above. Tthe only significant difference that I could find was the lack of a screw on the back. I have another cartridge without the patent information on the back, so I doubt this is very unique, but the rest had screws. In place of the patent info, it simply reads "MADE IN JAPAN".

And here are two unnecessary shots with the cartridge alongside Ax Battler, everyone's favourite Golden Axe game.

Apart from the aforementioned different back, I thought the 'Sega' logo embossed on the front might be a bit different. However, across all the cartridges I have, the quality varies rather a lot.

Booting up the disk gives a 2 page menu of 16 games. Nothing very exciting here, they're all Master System titles, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I didn't think to actually take a picture of the list, but here are the ones I can remember:
    Transbot
    Woody Pop
    Columns
    My Hero
    Bank Panic
    Teddy Boy
    Great Baseball
    Super Tennis
    World Grand Prix
    Pengo

The thumbnails link to larger versions of the images, in case they're useful. I don't have a scanner, so the photos are the best I could do, and there's no box to go along with this. I haven't seen many other mentions of pirate GG carts, so I thought I'd add it to this old thread rather than starting a new one.
front.jpg (357.83 KB)
front.jpg
back.jpg (293.34 KB)
back.jpg
front-comparison.jpg (421.14 KB)
front-comparison.jpg
back-comparison.jpg (386.12 KB)
Attachment fairy
back-comparison.jpg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!