6 22% 22%
7 33% 33%
8 27% 27%
9 (excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music 2009] Inconsiderate Pedestrian by Johannes
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 am
Title: Inconsiderate Pedestrian (MP3) (OGG)

By: Johannes

This is my contribution to the 2009 SMS Power music competition.
I don't have time to tell you which game the song is from but it was
recorded using a $5 Casio SA-11 and a $50 ukulele (and a MacBook).

Johannes Holmberg 2009

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm
The intro is promising but at 0:30 it all goes a bit cheesy... it recovers later but I think more ukulele and less Casio would help.
Ys - First Step Towards Wars.vgz (3.15 KB)
Original version

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 pm
I like cheesy.. so thats fine with me :)

Considering the limited tools you had to work with I thought you managed to pull the song off quite well.

This song make me feel like busting out the flares and disco ball. The only thing that let the song down as a whole was the synthetic trumpet sound, can't be helped with a casio, but maybe even a little effects or something so it doesn't sound as dry.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:36 pm
I have a fever.
The only cure is MORE UKULELE!!
tibone
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 pm
Inconsiderate Pedestrian - Overall this sounds very quiet. It's not a bad song, how over it could benefit from better sounds. Especially the "wah" and the drums. It has the potential to be a great song. Mixing is a issue here. The drums are very "machine-gun" like and are being overpowered by the song. Also, i have not heard a bass ? Improve on the mixing and you can go a LONG way.
The arrange is quite nice.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys! I think you're right about the cheesiness, the song kind of started moving in the direction of cheesy disco as soon as I added the drums and I didn't really have a problem with it, I figured it was the right way to go. :)

And djbass, I'm somewhat baffled that you were actually able to identify the lead instrument as a trumpet. :D
It is ("brass ens" to be precise), and I really only chose it because it was one of the most synthetic sounding instruments on that stupid keyboard, and I much prefer overly synthetic to something that sounds like a crappy watered down version of a real instrument. But yeah, it could have used some more work. There's a tremolo effect on it, but it's barely noticeable.

It's encouraging to hear requests for more ukulele as I don't consider myself to be much of a ukulele player and I was afraid the ukulele bits might not be quite up to scratch. I would have liked to use it some more but getting decent ukulele recordings turned out to be really time-consuming and I only started this project the sunday before the (original) deadline. I'll keep it in mind for next year, though. :)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm
tibone, you're right about the mixing. I didn't really have time for it, I just tried (and failed) to make sure every instrument could be heard. The final mix is indeed strangely quiet. I was under the impression that Garageband would normalize it for me, but obviously that didn't happen. I should probably do something about that sometime. The drums are a bit crap and that's just due to me being incompetent. I also hated most of the available drum sounds and ended up using just five different sounds that I found to be acceptable. The bass is there but it's not incredibly deep (mostly because it's being played on a really cheap keyboard). Thanks for commenting!
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:18 am
The intro is fantastic.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!