SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Modding SMS 2 for language switch and more

Reply to topic
RoberBellie
Modding SMS 2 for language switch and more
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 3:27 am
I found an older post way at the bottom of this forum about a heavily modded SMS2 with all bells and whistles. I'd like to fix my SMS to have the language switch, 50/60Hz switch, and add the missing reset button. But it seems my SMS2 is somewhat different from the details in one chip: 315-5216 instead of 315-5237 as outlined. I can figure out the language switch but not the reset switch.

Also I'm going to try and figure out the AV mod (possibly S-Video) since RGB and SCART aren't widely used in USA.

(PS my SMS 2 has a very clearly marked jumper for 50/60Hz mode, connected to pin 47 of 315-5246)

SMS2 with 315-5216? Well I never...
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 11:28 am
> I found an older post way at the bottom of this forum about a heavily modded SMS2 with all bells and whistles. I'd like to fix my SMS to have the language switch, 50/60Hz switch, and add the missing reset button. But it seems my SMS2 is somewhat different from the details in one chip: 315-5216 instead of 315-5237 as outlined. I can figure out the language switch but not the reset switch.

Reset is pin 22 on the 315-5216.

I had no idea that SMS2 consoles existed with the older 315-5216 instead of the 5237, though - is there any possibility of getting a scan? ;-)

I suppose the versions with 315-5216 must have been the very first models, just after the SMS1 went out of production. I take it it has AKMW as the built-in game?

> Also I'm going to try and figure out the AV mod (possibly S-Video) since RGB and SCART aren't widely used in USA.

I assumed it would be similar to the RGB mod I did for mine (see here), but I've since been told that the CXA-1145 doesn't support S-Video, unlike the CXA-1645 whose data sheet I took the pinout from.

I don't have confirmation of this, however, so if you do get S-Video working I'd love to know about it :-)

Mike
RoberBellie
Here's a pix of SMS2 with 315-5216 (I hope)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 9:59 pm
> Reset is pin 22 on the 315-5216.

Thanks. That's what I needed.

> I had no idea that SMS2 consoles existed with the older 315-5216 instead of the 5237, though - is there any possibility of getting a scan? ;-)

Been a while since I snuck in a picture on a message board but here goes:

Click above to see a larger image.

It does show a wire jumper that sets the 50/60Hz, not a circuit trace that I've seen in the past.

> I suppose the versions with 315-5216 must have been the very first models, just after the SMS1 went out of production. I take it it has AKMW as the built-in game?

What's what I think too, and yes it has the same built in game.

> I assumed it would be similar to the RGB mod I did for mine (see here), but I've since been told that the CXA-1145 doesn't support S-Video, unlike the CXA-1645 whose data sheet I took the pinout from.

> I don't have confirmation of this, however, so if you do get S-Video working I'd love to know about it :-)

I'll let you know if I can grab the S-Video out. If not, a plain composite may work OK since it's the same chip used in older SMS and they do have composite video.

RoberBellie
D'oh! Take 2...
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 9:02 pm

Click above to see a larger image.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!