SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - What is 315-5342?!?

Reply to topic
RobearBellie
What is 315-5342?!?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 8:46 pm
I was looking through some hardware of several Sega games and systems. I came across a 20 pin DIP chip that bears that Sega part number 315-5342 but I can't seems to find any info like the pinouts or it's function.

The rest of the chip's number is
SCK2605
FGQ4200 9009YB (9th week of 1990?)
315-5342

TIA

Power Base Converter
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:44 pm
> I was looking through some hardware of several Sega games and systems. I came across a 20 pin DIP chip that bears that Sega part number 315-5342 but I can't seems to find any info like the pinouts or it's function.

> The rest of the chip's number is
> SCK2605
> FGQ4200 9009YB (9th week of 1990?)
> 315-5342

This is found inside the Power Base Converter, if I remember correctly. (Is this where you saw it?)

If so, my best guess is that it debounces the Pause button, or something similar. In truth, though, I have no idea what it does or why it's required. I haven't seen it mentioned in any documentation.

Mike
RoberBellie
Re: Power Base Converter
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 3:32 am
> This is found inside the Power Base Converter, if I remember correctly. (Is this where you saw it?)

Yes it is.

> If so, my best guess is that it debounces the Pause button, or something similar. In truth, though, I have no idea what it does or why it's required. I haven't seen it mentioned in any documentation.

It's not for the pause button. Pin 13 of both card and cart port are wired there, as well as several lines from the card port. (only card port) I think that chip is also responsible for preventing confusion if you accidently insert both card game and cart game at the same time. It is probably also responsible for F-16's problem.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 12:30 pm
> It's not for the pause button. Pin 13 of both card and cart port are wired there, as well as several lines from the card port. (only card port) I think that chip is also responsible for preventing confusion if you accidently insert both card game and cart game at the same time.

Sounds sensible. It doesn't explain why the second version of the converter (the one without a card slot) also has this chip, though!

> It is probably also responsible for F-16's problem.

Hmm. I thought the only problem with F-16 was that the Mega Drive doesn't support the legacy graphics modes (modes 0-3) that it uses - I didn't think there was a physical problem with the converter as well.

I don't own the card version of F-16, so can't really check which pins it connects.

Mike
RoberBellie
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 9:00 pm
> Hmm. I thought the only problem with F-16 was that the Mega Drive doesn't support the legacy graphics modes (modes 0-3) that it uses - I didn't think there was a physical problem with the converter as well.

> I don't own the card version of F-16, so can't really check which pins it connects.

I've wondered about that too. When I use the F-16 in the card slot of the PBC, I can get the title screen but that's all. I get blank screen after that. But when I used the card-cart converter and plugged the F-16 on the card port, the game is playable. I've tried this on 2 different version of Power Base Converter with the same result but when I tried Genesis 2 I can't get the game to play in either port.

Maybe some early model of Genesis 1 do support the extra video mode required for F-16. I am beginning to wonder how many different variations of Sega consoles that exists. As I mentioned in other thread I have a SMS2 with older 315-5216 chip and the NTSC/PAL jumper. (PS I should have that pix fixed by now)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!