Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - TASM Lives!

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
TASM Lives!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 11:12 pm
Behold!

It looks like TASM* (formerly Table Assembler, now Telemark Cross Assembler) is still supported after all... I'd given up looking for a newer version beyond the 3.0.1 and figured it was abandonware. It's no longer maintained or sold by Speech Technology (hence the name change), but the original author is still involved.

There's a 3.1 release for DOS available, which doesn't add much of general use but is able to use extended memory finally. There is also a Linux (binary) port available as well as an experimental Win32 (Console) beta for download... The windows and linux versions have such perks as long file name support, full use of system memory, and longer macro expansions.

The down side of this is that since it's no longer abandoneware, I suppose I ought to cough up the $40 to register it.

http://www.halcyon.com/squakvly/

(*The first person to mention anything about Borland has to face my oversized, stone-and-pterrydactl-splitting fist.)

Consolemu
Borland...
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 4:20 am
Just kidding :o)

Man, I'm bored! Ahh!! I was playing Dragon Warrior I for Gameboy Color (Another Brilliant Ni****do GBC Update, *tisk*) and I saved up 2,555 Gold Pieces and because I ran out of magic (for bright spell) and my torch died out, I was forced to comit suicide. It's litterly insane to work your way out of a tomb when you can only see a single sprite of yourself (the agony). On the good side, the king will revive and heal your body (allowing you to keep your experience points), but you loose nearly 2/3's of the money you collected. Guess how much I was left with? A mere 1,2000. All that hard work down the drain *sigh*.

On another off topic subject, I was very, very, very disappointed with Sunsoft's Gameboy Color release of Meta Fight (Blaster Master). Everybody here should know what Blaster Master is and why it's such a good game (Don't tell me you haven't snuck and played the NES favs. Admit it! Admit it!). Blaster Master was famous for it's realistic vehicle controls, lice rolling along on natural velocity and acceleration, wheels bouncing up and down, funny little square wave noises you hear as you control it. And let's not mention it's overhead view. Free 8-way direction, multiple bombing action, etc. Basically, with this supposed "revamp" or update to it on the Gameboy Color, they were brave enough to break the "Don't fix it if it an't broke" rule and it was a total disaster. All the natural acceleration stuff from the vehicle is gone. It's bad to the point where pressing right instantly speeds the vehicle and letting go stops it in it's tracks. And they had the nerve to make the overhead 4-way instead of 8-way and you're limited to shooting only one bomb at a time. If the director to that Gameboy Color project don't deserve a good 1 hour floggling with a huge fish, I don't know what does. Can you think of a game conversion worse than that?

Chris :o)

Consolemu
In All Seriousness though...
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 4:25 am
It's good to see the Table Assembler alive and well. I was so hungry for a GUI to the Table Assembler that I was coding a little IDE for it in Visual Basic. Looks like I'm a little late, eh?

Chris :o)

• Site Admin
Re: In All Seriousness though...
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 8:00 am
> It's good to see the Table Assembler alive and well. I was so hungry for a GUI to the Table Assembler that I was coding a little IDE for it in Visual Basic. Looks like I'm a little late, eh?

Well, no. Notice I said it was a "Win32 (Console)" version. It is still controlled from the console. So keep working on it if you like. The win32 port thing benefits from win32 features like long filenames and the inherently more logical flat protected mode memory model (the latter is available with applications compiled with djgpp, and you can fake the long filename support in dos, but anyway...), and it links against the c runtime library for a smaller executable, for what it's worth (if you carry your developer environment around on a floppy for use with different computers).

Every so often I like to plug PFE (Programmer's File Editor) as my text editor/IDE of choice... it's an exceptionally configurable and very lightweight text editor. The editor itself is quite nice, and you can set up external utilities for make, execute, debug, compile, or anything else you could need, and pick your own keymappings. Right now I have them set to mimic Visual C++'s default keys, so the transition back and forth is easier. It's less than a 700k download and FREE. No longer being developed unfortunately, but that's okay, because it's quite complete as is.

And, naturally, I don't have the URL handy. Oh, duh, I can check the About box...
www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe

Still, a dedicated TASM IDE being be nice. Right now I have the entire build process for my shoot 'em up game outlined in a batch file. It runs the graphics converter, executes tasm with the right args, etc. Naturally I name it 'make'. I've been thinking of writing a sms make utility for tasm, but that'll wait until after the end of the year.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!