SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - my shinobi SE demo

Reply to topic
my shinobi SE demo
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 am
Hi sms community,

after of too much time of work and delays I decided post my little shinobi demo, (rom and source code) I was thinking about post it when I got more advanced and wait to implement the excellents collision routines that atari racoon send it to me in this project (thanks again for your help atari racoon ^. ^)i but in view that my progress is so slow and there still very hard work, I decided post it today.

My dream is some day create a shinobi special edition for the sms...maybe someday...

Im decided post it for 3 reasons:

1. Because Im proud of my advance in learning the sms so I want show it to the community with my little rom :) I know that must be little thing for experts like you, but Im still proud :), and it is a proof that Im serious with this.

2. Because I was thinking that if I post source code people can give me suggestions for improve my sorce code and suggestions for enhancement.
So let me now your opinions about my rom and source!

3. The more important reason is that I was trying of create my own game engine but my advance is so slow, I only get two direction horizontal scroll and display a sprite and fliped it in software using double buffer feature (check my source).

But if some people like atari racoon, martin or other people could have an complete engine for platform games in assembler and show it to me maybe I could have now the enough knowledge for at least try to understand it and try to adapted it to my project, And because that is better for faster advance use work of others, I hope dont ask you too much.

Well I dont loose anything with ask you guys, right? :)

Thanks for reading my post, my english is very poor so I hope you can understand me.

PD: I dont know why but I had problems with meka, try kega or emukon, run it well in real hardware with my tototek.
shinobi_SE.sms.rar (6.86 KB)
rom
source.rar (19.74 KB)
source

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:59 am
It seems to run equally well on both Meka and Kega, as far as I can tell. It just supports walking left and right, correct?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:38 pm
yes, only left and right walk.
Is strange, in newest versions of meka I had problems, which version are using you?
Meka ran it ok
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm
Hi there,

Interesting rendering of the ninja, did you draw yourself ?

Also, I notice that you may be using Windows with file extensions hidden (therefore you tried to name it .sms and it ended up having .sms.sms extension). Is that the case ?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:59 pm

works fine in mine :O looks beautiful, btw, keep up the good work :}
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:09 pm
Hey Olaf thanks for your comment, and is nice know that works also in your emulator.
^.^

Nicklot, Yes, I tried to rename the rom from output.sms to shinobi_SE.sms that is effectively the problem.
And the ninja is "retouch" because I drawed it less widht than the arcade version which uses 320 224 resolution and the sms uses 256 192 and that adjust the proportion.
Also I did it so with enemies for implement them in some future, also because in that way you save tiles and get less flicker ;)

If at least someone would want show me source code of some game engine for faster advance with my project...that could be....Oh joy!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:23 pm
DLed it and tried at Dega emulator... runs very well :-)
Liked the graphics and the smooth movement...

Now hope you make good sound and finish a great game!
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:13 am
Well Rony_ket, thanks so much for support me with your comments, It still far away from become a game, but, hey! is a beggining ;)

My knowledge in the sound department is almost near to zero, maybe someone with sound & programation skill and some time avalaible could be help me in some future with that area, even more with fm sound! ...someone? :P

Thanks
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:02 am
hey Max,

I do finish uni study in under a month now, I will then have 3 months free or so, I could perhaps look at some sound for you. Although I don't know how to compose for the FM chip I could use the PSG.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:56 am
maxxfarras wrote
Nicklot, Yes

Niloct.

maxxfarras wrote
I tried to rename the rom from output.sms to shinobi_SE.sms that is effectively the problem.

Nice to see you noticed that.

maxxfarras wrote
And the ninja is "retouch" because I drawed it less widht than the arcade version which uses 320 224 resolution and the sms uses 256 192 and that adjust the proportion.

The sprite is nice, if you do enemies like that it must be pleasing to the eye.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:53 am
Niloct: Effectively, I was also very careful with draw and colour quality in enemies, So I expect show it in a future release some day ^.^

Jacko, thank you very much! that is great! Could be cool implement all the original songs of the arcade also! I will send you a PM for discuss about that ;)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:14 am
Jacko, can please check if you received my PM when you get a chance? Im not sure if I send you correctly. Sorry, it is my fault...
Sorry again for bug you with this and the double post.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 am
Hey Maxxfarras,

I sent you a reply, can you see if you got it this time? its weird how the system works.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 pm
received!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:14 pm
So far it looks quite good! Color usage is great.
Did you make provision or plan for enemies colors in the sprite palette?

PS: I don't have a problem with running it in Meka, can you elaborate on this? (you can PM me)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:57 pm
Thanks so much for your comment Bock!

Yes, in fact the palete for sprites in the demo uses the palette that I use for the total set of enemies. In fact the enemies are ready and waiting for implementation!
;)

Im PM you.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:34 am
Sorry, been away for days at a time here.

Hey, that looks a lot better since the last time I saw your progress. You even got rid of that terrible slowdown when he moves

Fresh background refreshing and good animation with him, especially in movement.

My code is a little bit out of the loop, but I think I should quote it up again with some of the newer stuff I put in, asuming I've updated it some since I gave you a copy of the code.

Been a while since I worked on it.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:03 pm
Hey Atari Racoon, nice to talk with you again.

Well, was thanks to your suggestions and Maxim suggestions, that was possible for me improve this new code. Even Im not yet implement your code in my program (collisons and gravity, sprite moving) , I learn it from your source, and I have idea how can I do it since some time, at least in paper. Could be great for me have a look in your code improvements when you have it ready...Sorry my english is not strong. what means "out of the loop"?, (you can PM me if you prefer, anytime).

Best Regards
Rafael
Jaicen
Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 pm
That looks like a really good start to what will be a nice looking game, so well done. I wonder if you can perhaps slow down those legs though, does look a bit looney tunes!!
With regards to the music, I I think you should definitely consider using FM, since it was supported by the original (perhaps you can rip the music from that?) I'd offer to help but i'm not a programmer (is there software for composing on an SMS???).

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 pm
There is software available, but none for the YM2413, well any that im aware of.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:00 am
Lol! Thanks Jaicen,
Well Jaicen, the speed is not a problem now, because its a little demo and still too much heavy cpu procesing stuff for add: enemies, collisions write, to sprite table, game engine etc, so the true desafiance will be dont have slow down ;)

Respect to music, I have almost no idea how can I implement it. Jacko have many knowldge in that area. maybe could you help to Jacko and working together?

Also I will could prefer remake the music for better results before than rip, (Do you think so, right, Jacko?) after all is a shinobi remake, right? In any case original game shinobi lacks of many music tracks also.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 am
Very nice demo! =)
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 am
Thanks haroldoop ^.^
If you or anyone have suggestions for improve /optimize my code , you dont doubt to PM me anytime, that could make me very happy!

Thanks again ;)
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 pm
First, try to follow the usual optimization guidelines (google for something like "z80 optimizations"). These are optimizations you can apply to any kind of code without really understanding it.

Then you need to find out which parts of your code need much time, and optimize these. This can be very hard to do for others, because it needs a good understanding of your code. If you find a part in your code you want to be optimized, you can tell us about it, and we can see if we can help.

You should also split your asm file into smaller files ("useful_functions" is usally not a good name for a splitted file, at least when a program is getting more complex. It should be more like "vdp", "palette", etc.).
Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:27 am
Thanks martin, I will try!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!