SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Vecna...read this

Reply to topic
nintendont
Vecna...read this
Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 11:40 pm
I just upgraded to Direct X 8.0 on my Win 2k machine, and since I did, chasms no longer stalls on exit (it used to stall my machine for a few seconds) so I guess Microsoft did something right for once :)Are you still working on chasms btw?

Consolemu
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 2:48 am
> I just upgraded to Direct X 8.0 on my Win 2k machine, and since I did, chasms no longer stalls on exit (it used to stall my machine for a few seconds) so I guess Microsoft did something right for once :)Are you still working on chasms btw?

Interesting! I noticed that before too I just never bitched about it or took concern as to why that happened. Now, it's because of Direct X and not Chasms. This happened in a couple other programs and emulators as well.

Chris :o)

Consolemu
Btw (Direct X 8)
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 3:54 am
Does anybody know what's so special about the new release of Direct X8? I read through Microsoft.com and I did learn that they pretty much merged everything into 3 main components...

DirectVideo
DirectDraw
Direct3D
DirectAudio
DirectSound
DirectMusic
DirectPlay

and now they have merged DirectShow. The thing is, I've been studying Direct X off an on for the past month or so and it's confusing me. The main problem is because Direct X's API's keep changing before I can even become acustomed to one API set of Direct X. I started with Direct X5, but then I stopped because I learned that Direct X7 supported Visual Basic (My favorite language). So, now that I'm getting used to Direct X7 is there any point to getting Direct X8? Does Direct X8 even support Visual Basic?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 7:38 am
> Interesting! I noticed that before too I just never bitched about it or took concern as to why that happened. Now, it's because of Direct X and not Chasms. This happened in a couple other programs and emulators as well.

Considering that it's not happening with ALL programs, I would say the contrary: it is because of Chasm and not Direct X.
Probably some kind of simple error (bad initialization or closure) that aren't easy to fix without looking for a good Direct X program template.
vecna
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 7:44 am
> I just upgraded to Direct X 8.0 on my Win 2k machine, and since I did, chasms no longer stalls on exit (it used to stall my machine for a few seconds) so I guess Microsoft did something right for once :)Are you still working on chasms btw?

Interesting! For the stall on exit... the machine I originally wrote CHASMS on, an AMD K6/2-400, it did not stall on exit, but I recently upgraded to an Athlon Thunderbird 800 and I noticed that it did stall on exit when I first got it. Now I've upgraded to DX8, and I didn't think to try CHASMS, but you're right, it doesn't stall anymore. It seems to have been some sort of problem that just depends on your video/DirectX drivers.

CHASMS.. I have several other programming projects, but I've been wanting to release a new version of CHASMS. Since 0.30 I've fixed the occasional crash-on-exit bug, added a few Windows niceness (standard close/minimize/maximize buttons, for instance), but I've not been able to come up with any real new features to warrant a new release. I tried to get Lightgun support a couple times but haven't had much luck. I'd also like to emulate the FM chip but I either have to find a MidiOUT api doc somewhere and get it to work, or use a digital FM synth. The only ones I've been able to find are GPL, and tho I intend to release my source code with the next release, I'm morally opposed to GPL, so I don't want to use that. So I'm kinda out of ideas. I could try to add a debugger or something I guess, but for the most part CHASMS accomplished what I wanted to do with it. Maybe I'll try to spiff up the GUI some more or something. Any suggestions?

- vecna

nintendont
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 9:18 pm
> > I just upgraded to Direct X 8.0 on my Win 2k machine, and since I did, chasms no longer stalls on exit (it used to stall my machine for a few seconds) so I guess Microsoft did something right for once :)Are you still working on chasms btw?

> Interesting! For the stall on exit... the machine I originally wrote CHASMS on, an AMD K6/2-400, it did not stall on exit, but I recently upgraded to an Athlon Thunderbird 800 and I noticed that it did stall on exit when I first got it. Now I've upgraded to DX8, and I didn't think to try CHASMS, but you're right, it doesn't stall anymore. It seems to have been some sort of problem that just depends on your video/DirectX drivers.

> CHASMS.. I have several other programming projects, but I've been wanting to release a new version of CHASMS. Since 0.30 I've fixed the occasional crash-on-exit bug, added a few Windows niceness (standard close/minimize/maximize buttons, for instance), but I've not been able to come up with any real new features to warrant a new release. I tried to get Lightgun support a couple times but haven't had much luck. I'd also like to emulate the FM chip but I either have to find a MidiOUT api doc somewhere and get it to work, or use a digital FM synth. The only ones I've been able to find are GPL, and tho I intend to release my source code with the next release, I'm morally opposed to GPL, so I don't want to use that. So I'm kinda out of ideas. I could try to add a debugger or something I guess, but for the most part CHASMS accomplished what I wanted to do with it. Maybe I'll try to spiff up the GUI some more or something. Any suggestions?

> - vecna

Hmm...lesse. Touchups to the GUI sound nice, although I think its pretty cool the way it is :) Here are a few things I would like to see in chasms:

Colecovision support
Ability to change GUI color
Light gun support of course
Better compatibility (Space Gun for instance)

Thats about all I can think of. The emulator is almost to perfection in my opinion. Welp seeya!

Consolemu
Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 1:55 am
I'm not one to give suggestions for other people's emulators but I think before you go coding a Colecovision driver or creating a GUI pallete changer to concentrate on improving little things in the SMS emulation. Like...

* improving SMS noise channel emulation
* adding voice support or improving it
* Tweaking the PSG tones somehow (In some games it will play extra notes)

Again, Chasms is wonderful but those are little things that should be fixed whenever you can or you get around to it.

PolestaR
Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:17 am
Bloody noise emulation eh ;P.
Vecna, in regards to Chasms, how did you implement the DirectSound buffers to be filled with data. Currently I have it so it just checks the read position with IDirectSoundBuffer::GetCurrentPos, and updates a buffer which is 4/50th's of a second in length. I'd be interested in how you would do it as your emulator is the only decent sounding SMS Windows emulator :). Im sure my method isn't the best it could be....Any help would be appreciated!
-Jason Starr-

PolestaR
Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 10:18 am
Zoop is probably right, I dont think my emulator FreezeS(pardon the pun) on exit, although if anyone wants to prove me wrong thats ok :P. If you dont release certain surfaces or directX objects correctly, certain problems can arise..... for example, release all your directdraw surfaces in order you created them before you release the DirectDraw object, same with sound and input. HEY POPPA JOE
-Jason Starr-

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!