SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mark 3/ Japanese SMS FM hardware

Reply to topic
Leonard Silva de Oliveira
Mark 3/ Japanese SMS FM hardware
Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 4:11 am

I managed to build this thing 11 months ago. A friend told about it to some people arround the SMS community and I even
received some e-mails about it, but at that time I don't had a way to make pictures of it and it was too hard to get the YM2413
chip...

I'm going to release it's schematics to public domain soon, so anyone will be able to buid his own.

Cya ...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 9:18 pm
> I managed to build this thing 11 months ago. A friend told about it to some people arround the SMS community and I even
> received some e-mails about it, but at that time I don't had a way to make pictures of it and it was too hard to get the YM2413
> chip...

I'm truly impressed! Were you able to obtain the schematic, or did you reverse engineer a real FM unit? Either way, it's a superb (and very worthwhile) achievement.

How hard was it to find the YM2413 chip, by the way? It is listed on Yamaha's site as a current product, but I haven't had much luck finding it for sale anywhere.

> I'm going to release it's schematics to public domain soon, so anyone will be able to buid his own.

Excellent! I can't wait :-)

Mike
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:39 am

> I'm truly impressed! Were you able to obtain the schematic, or did you reverse engineer a real FM unit? Either way, it's a superb (and very worthwhile) achievement.
Actually I had to do a reverse engineering without any knowledge about the device. I got a little help from Ricardo Bittencourt back in 08/99 when he made some testings with the latch I/O port (F3h).
Creating the circuit and the final implementation was only a matter of time. I got the OPLL chip from a broken Sony Hit Bit computer (MSX2+, Japan only) and started to work out the thing.
The schematics are available at my "HTML dump". I'll post direct URL to the JPG file of the schematics, as a teaser ... I'll do a complete page this weekend.

> How hard was it to find the YM2413 chip, by the way? It is listed on Yamaha's site as a current product, but I haven't had much luck finding it for sale anywhere.

I don't think it's easy to buy new, as I said, I got mine from scrap. All other components on the schematics are common and easy to buy at any electronic parts shop.

> > I'm going to release it's schematics to public domain soon, so anyone will be able to buid his own.

> Excellent! I can't wait :-)

> Mike

Wrong picture
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:44 am

Oh damn ... I'd just put the wrong picture in the URL ... This one is the right ...

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!