SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Delays in Assembly

Reply to topic
Consolemu
Delays in Assembly
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 2:09 am
Since assembly code is so blindly fast, is there anyway I could delay or slow the system down? I tried to type the delay by counting each VSync but I dunno whether I'm reading the VDP port wrong or the system is just incredibly fast. I'm setting register C to $20, reading bit7 from port $BF and decrementing register C every VSync. I will make it jump back and wait for VSync until register C equals 0 or Zero Flag is set.

Chris :o)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 4:03 am
> Since assembly code is so blindly fast, is there anyway I could delay or slow the system down? I tried to type the delay by counting each VSync but I dunno whether I'm reading the VDP port wrong or the system is just incredibly fast. I'm setting register C to $20, reading bit7 from port $BF and decrementing register C every VSync. I will make it jump back and wait for VSync until register C equals 0 or Zero Flag is set.

That should give you about a half second delay. The speed of the emulated CPU shouldn't matter at this point, since Vsync time is constant.

This sounds like a bug elsewhere. This would be a good time to fire up brsms in the debugger mode and trace your execution. Check to see that your loop which polls $bf for a sign of vsync is really waiting around a long time before it finally lets you through. If it lets you through the first time then you know there's a bit in the part that checks for bit 7. Double check with your z80 manuals and if still stumped after experimenting with it a little, post the routine here.
Nyef
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 1:32 pm
> Since assembly code is so blindly fast, is there anyway I could delay or slow the system down? I tried to type the delay by counting each VSync but I dunno whether I'm reading the VDP port wrong or the system is just incredibly fast. I'm setting register C to $20, reading bit7 from port $BF and decrementing register C every VSync. I will make it jump back and wait for VSync until register C equals 0 or Zero Flag is set.

Why are you spinwaiting on a port? Why not hook the interrupt, and have the handler decrement your counter?

Seriously, almost every game in existance hooks the interrupt...

> Chris :o)

--Nyef

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!