Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - detecting page register accesses in hardware

Reply to topic
detecting page register accesses in hardware
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:13 am
is it safe to assume that when Cart_Enable, 'MC-F' and WR are asserted (active lows) that the paging registers have been accessed?

my logic is that 'MC-F' denotes an memory access to $C000 to $FFFF, of which RAM occupies $C000 to $DFFF and is mirrored
from $E000 to $FFFB, so the 8kB_RAM_CE is low and Cart_Enable is high for addresses $C000 to $FFFB, and the 8kB_RAM_CE
is high with Cart_Enable low for addresses $FFFC to $FFFF.

can i get a confirmation/correction on this.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:30 pm
> is it safe to assume that when Cart_Enable, 'MC-F' and WR are asserted (active lows) that the paging registers have been accessed?

> my logic is that 'MC-F' denotes an memory access to $C000 to $FFFF, of which RAM occupies $C000 to $DFFF and is mirrored
> from $E000 to $FFFB, so the 8kB_RAM_CE is low and Cart_Enable is high for addresses $C000 to $FFFB, and the 8kB_RAM_CE
> is high with Cart_Enable low for addresses $FFFC to $FFFF.

> can i get a confirmation/correction on this.

RAM is enabled for writes and reads to FFFC-FFFF, the value written will go to the bankswitch registers as well as RAM.

• Site Admin
Does it really?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 5:56 pm

> RAM is enabled for writes and reads to FFFC-FFFF, the value written will go to the bankswitch registers as well as RAM.

is that so?
I hadn't figured that one out, believe it or not. I had figured the paging rom or external mapper had to answer the read request from the paging registers, which would have made the logic horrendously difficult to implement in hardware. Rather, for reads from $fffc-$ffff can be ignored by the mapper (and simple not send CE to the actual (ep)rom, so the mapper only needs to handle writes. That makes perfect sense.
I'm quite sure now that a 22v10-knockoff PLD could be programmed to work like at least a bank 2 only mapper, if only I knew of some affordable way of programming (in a hardware sense) a 22v10 PLD. (possibly even a 16r8?)
Re: Does it really?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 8:26 pm
I'm not sure what is returned by a read to like, 0xFFFF, is the last written value had like bit 7 set (which is ignored by a masking when doing the mapping itself).
page mapping hardware
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 2:18 am
actually the logic is very simple. i've designed a full mapping system that supports mapping using pages 0, 1 and 2 with just 4 74 series logic chips

>
> > RAM is enabled for writes and reads to FFFC-FFFF, the value written will go to the bankswitch registers as well as RAM.

> is that so?
> I hadn't figured that one out, believe it or not. I had figured the paging rom or external mapper had to answer the read request from the paging registers, which would have made the logic horrendously difficult to implement in hardware. Rather, for reads from $fffc-$ffff can be ignored by the mapper (and simple not send CE to the actual (ep)rom, so the mapper only needs to handle writes. That makes perfect sense.
> I'm quite sure now that a 22v10-knockoff PLD could be programmed to work like at least a bank 2 only mapper, if only I knew of some affordable way of programming (in a hardware sense) a 22v10 PLD. (possibly even a 16r8?)
Cart_Enable
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 2:32 am
forgot to ask before, what is the exact behaviour of Cart_Enable? is it only asserted in the $0000 to $DFFF address range
or is it also asserted for $FFFC to $FFFF, because it's a bugger to test 16 address lines instead of just 2 (Cart_Enable and Mc-f)

> > is it safe to assume that when Cart_Enable, 'MC-F' and WR are asserted (active lows) that the paging registers have been accessed?

> > my logic is that 'MC-F' denotes an memory access to $C000 to $FFFF, of which RAM occupies $C000 to $DFFF and is mirrored
> > from $E000 to $FFFB, so the 8kB_RAM_CE is low and Cart_Enable is high for addresses $C000 to $FFFB, and the 8kB_RAM_CE
> > is high with Cart_Enable low for addresses $FFFC to $FFFF.

> > can i get a confirmation/correction on this.

> RAM is enabled for writes and reads to FFFC-FFFF, the value written will go to the bankswitch registers as well as RAM.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!