Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - how to un"screw" gamegear

Reply to topic
how to un"screw" gamegear
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 9:21 pm
What kind of tool does everyone use to open the kind of "screw" that holds a Game Gear (and some more recent cartridges) together? I figured people here are opening cartridges all the time, so what is the best (and cheapest) way?
Consolemu
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 3:51 am
> What kind of tool does everyone use to open the kind of "screw" that holds a Game Gear (and some more recent cartridges) together? I figured people here are opening cartridges all the time, so what is the best (and cheapest) way?

I have that problem. Try a local electronics shop or something like Radio Shack and ask for an electronics tool kit or something. Or simply bring the cartridge to the guy at the counter and ask, "How the fuck can I get this open?"

Chris :o)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 10:39 am
> > What kind of tool does everyone use to open the kind of "screw" that holds a Game Gear (and some more recent cartridges) together? I figured people here are opening cartridges all the time, so what is the best (and cheapest) way?

> I have that problem. Try a local electronics shop or something like Radio Shack and ask for an electronics tool kit or something. Or simply bring the cartridge to the guy at the counter and ask, "How the fuck can I get this open?"

To which the reply may be, "With a fucking sledgehammer." :-)

Seriously though, I don't think Radio Shack will be able to help you. See Mark K's post a bit further down the page, entitled "Screwdriver Bit for SMS carts", this may be of use.

The later SMS carts have 4.5mm "External Line Head" type screws, while the GG carts use the 3.8mm variety. CPC Electronics in the UK and MCM in the US (www.i-mcm.com) sell the bits for these. (They call them "Gamebits".)

Alternatively if (like me) you have a number of hours to spare, you can file a slot in a normal flat-blade screwdriver to fit these screws.

Mike
Limbs a Flyin'
Re: how to un
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 6:01 pm

> Alternatively if (like me) you have a number of hours to spare, you can file a slot in a normal flat-blade screwdriver to fit these screws.

i gave that a go and apart from wasting a perfectly good flathead, the thing was very hard to use, stripped the black enamel off the screws and beat up the screw socket. plus i couldnt tighten the screw up later.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 6:37 pm
> The later SMS carts have 4.5mm "External Line Head" type screws, while the GG carts use the 3.8mm variety. CPC Electronics in the UK and MCM in the US (www.i-mcm.com) sell the bits for these. (They call them "Gamebits".)

I should have been more specific - what I want to do is unscrew the one bit in a Game Gear console (not cartridge). It is located on the backside, above the place where you screw in a Master Gear. (Every other screw is a normal one - they just HAD to throw in a weirdo, didn't they?!?). Anyway, does anyone know what type of screw this is?

On another (somewhat related) topic - does anyone have schematics for the Game Gear's internals?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 8:50 pm
> > The later SMS carts have 4.5mm "External Line Head" type screws, while the GG carts use the 3.8mm variety. CPC Electronics in the UK and MCM in the US (www.i-mcm.com) sell the bits for these. (They call them "Gamebits".)

> I should have been more specific - what I want to do is unscrew the one bit in a Game Gear console (not cartridge). It is located on the backside, above the place where you screw in a Master Gear. (Every other screw is a normal one - they just HAD to throw in a weirdo, didn't they?!?). Anyway, does anyone know what type of screw this is?

That's a 4.5mm external line head screw, the same as on Genesis/MD carts and later SMS carts.

Mike
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!