Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Eagle engine? 2X Kai? 3point Guassian? What the.....

Reply to topic
Chinese Pimp
Eagle engine? 2X Kai? 3point Guassian? What the.....
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 5:42 am
Hi y'all
I am currently working hard to write a SMS emulator. (still conceptual phase, though)
I am very interested in graphic enhencing engines (term?) like eagle, 2x kai/kreed, etc. It seems, though, very hard to find any kind of documentation about this stuff on internet / bookstore.
Is there any URL that I should check? or any section of a bookstore? Apparently there isn't much on these at advanced computer topic section of Barns and Nobles...

Chinese Pimp
Rememer the best is still yet to come.

Consolemu
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 9:11 pm
> Hi y'all

sup

> I am currently working hard to write a SMS emulator. (still conceptual phase, though)

k

> I am very interested in graphic enhencing engines (term?) like eagle, 2x kai/kreed, etc. It seems, though, very hard to find any kind of documentation about this stuff on internet / bookstore.

You can forget about bookstores. I doubt they even publish 2D graphics books anymore. The 3D rage has taken over.

> Is there any URL that I should check? or any section of a bookstore? Apparently there isn't much on these at advanced computer topic section of Barns and Nobles...

I'd suggest E-mailing some authors (ie, Zoop), or downloading a development libray such as Allegro or DJGPP and use their graphics enhancement routines. Or do it yourself you lazy goat. The easiest graphics enchancement you can do is blur. If you can or you know how, switch to a graphics resolution with more colors. Go pixel by pixel, line by line, and compare 2 pixels and get an average for them. Then re-draw the averaged pixels to the screen. For example...

for y = 1 to 384
for x = 1 to 512
colorR1 = screen(x-1,y,red)
colorG1 = screen(x-1,y,green)
colorB1 = screen(x-1,y,blue)
colorR2 = screen(x+1,y,red)
colorG2 = screen(x+1,y,red)
colorB2 = screen(x+1,y,red)
newcolorR = (colorR1 + colorR2) / 2
newcolorG = (colorG1 + colorG2) / 2
newcolorB = (colorB1 + colorB2) / 2
Pixel(x,y,newcolorR,newcolorG,newcolorB)
next x
next y

That's just psuedo code in Basic. I bet there's much faster ways of doing what I did. Like I said, ask around.
>
> Chinese Pimp
> Rememer the best is still yet to come.

Be careful of the boastful things you say. They might not come true.

Chris :o)

Chinese Pimp
Re:Re: Eagle engine? 2X Kai? 3point Guassian? What the.....
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:15 am
>do it yourself you lazy goat.
>> Well, aparently that is what I am intending to do. I am not really interested in other people's code. I'm looking for the theory behind "blur" or otherwise known as 'interpolation'. I am hereby talking about 'the Science', or the formular, or whatever you would like to call....

>The easiest graphics en[c]hancement you can do is blur. If you can or you know how, switch to a graphics resolution with more colors. Go pixel by pixel, line by line, and compare 2 pixels and get an average for them. Then re-draw the averaged pixels to the screen. For example...
>> Thanks for your suggestion, but it is kinda old. I already know this average method, and I believe this method is, quoting the guy who wrote this method in MSDN, "not the best way to interpolation." Also this method is only good for the scalic zooming like 1:2 or 1:4. How would you fit 256*194 sms display into 640*480 pc full screen? That is 2.5 zooming in both dimesion.
I am looking for more advanced graphics enhancement and curious about what gfx method the super eagle, 2X Sai/Kreed, and 3point Gaussian (the one used by real SNES hardware) uses. I guess the 3 point gaussian uses gaussian average for missing pixels but 3 points? Information on this might be very helpful.
By the way, I try to remain anonymous w/o email account, so I really don't want email anybody. The only way I can get help is to get it posted in this forum. So....

I am very glad to know there are nice people like you around. Thanks for your posting.

Chinese Pimp
Rememer the best is still yet to come.

Consolemu
Well..
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 8:09 am
Why didn't you say so? Your first message sounded too general; like a fake or new programmer. Forgive me for making that assumption. The old school blur is the only one I know. Finding 2D dithering algorithms are difficult. I see what you mean, you're just like me; not wanting to use other people's code. But when it comes to stuff like that, you're gunna need other people's code to atleast get you started or to give you an idea as to how it works. I dunno.

I apologise again,

Chris :o)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!