Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Names, nothing but names...

Reply to topic
Names, nothing but names...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 11:19 pm
For a french speaking individual such as myself (read : who learned english by himself ;) , learning another language is only a matter of listening, remembering and interpreting what I hear... what I hear... , What about the words I usualy don't (or never) hear? How am I supposed to know them? Think about it. Therefore I'd like to know how a few words are pronounced. A few words related to pc's / programming. They are :

C++ , Is it "see plus plus"?
X86 assambly. Forget the assembly part. How about the "X86" one? is it "times 86" or "exe (X) 86"?

I think that's it. How are they spelled "phonetically"? Now I'm sure this looks like a bizzare question for english speaking people but i'd like to know since these two "therms" are not used on tv & in movies... Thank you.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:23 am
> For a french speaking individual such as myself (read : who learned english by himself ;) , learning another language is only a matter of listening, remembering and interpreting what I hear... what I hear... , What about the words I usualy don't (or never) hear? How am I supposed to know them? Think about it. Therefore I'd like to know how a few words are pronounced. A few words related to pc's / programming. They are :

> C++ , Is it "see plus plus"?

Yes. You'll a common convention of using the extension '.cpp' on c++ files, where the '++' is not a legal file character or just a pain in the ass to type. CPP stands for 'C Plus Plus'.
I think I've heard some other interpretations of it, but people who use them are loony and should be avoided.
The meaning of the name is that it is the next step beyond C (since ++ is the autoincrement operator, any variable it follows is increased by one).

> X86 assambly. Forget the assembly part. How about the "X86" one? is it "times 86" or "exe (X) 86"?

PRonounced the X like the name of the letter: "Ecks". The X means 'unknown' or 'blank', like a wild card, so you wouldn't say 'times' because it doesn't have to do with multiplication.

On the other hand, I'm not so certain how you ought to pronounce CD-ROm drive speeds, a la 4x, 20x max, etc, since it really does concern multiplication, but I generally just pronounce the letter X or say 'speed'.

> I think that's it. How are they spelled "phonetically"? Now I'm sure this looks like a bizzare question for english speaking people but i'd like to know since these two "therms" are not used on tv & in movies... Thank you.

This tends to happen in the modern world, where we read about computer things that we rarely need to discuss out loud, and nobody seems to know the authorative way to pronounce it.

especially with abbreviations (some people laugh at me for pronouncing 'gif' like 'jiff', but I'll never ever change). Native english speakers have a hard time with that too, especially when you don't know whether to just spell out the letters or pronounce the letters like a word (for instance "OOP" for object oriented programming. I say the individual letters, butI -have- heard people just say 'oop' as in 'Zoop').
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 2:07 am
> > C++ , Is it "see plus plus"?

> Yes. You'll a common convention of using the extension '.cpp' on c++ files, where the '++' is not a legal file character or just a pain in the ass to type. CPP stands for 'C Plus Plus'.
> I think I've heard some other interpretations of it, but people who use them are loony and should be avoided.
> The meaning of the name is that it is the next step beyond C (since ++ is the autoincrement operator, any variable it follows is increased by one).

This one was easy but I wanted to be sure... tnx ;)
>
> > X86 assambly. Forget the assembly part. How about the "X86" one? is it "times 86" or "exe (X) 86"?

> PRonounced the X like the name of the letter: "Ecks". The X means 'unknown' or 'blank', like a wild card, so you wouldn't say 'times' because it doesn't have to do with multiplication.

This one was a little more difficult. good thing I asked...

> On the other hand, I'm not so certain how you ought to pronounce CD-ROm drive speeds, a la 4x, 20x max, etc, since it really does concern multiplication, but I generally just pronounce the letter X or say 'speed'.

Well in french we say (example : 48 fois max, which means times... so you might be right on this). Since a normal cd player runs at 1x (300 rpm) and a "48x" runs 48 times faster than that, well...
>
> > I think that's it. How are they spelled "phonetically"? Now I'm sure this looks like a bizzare question for english speaking people but i'd like to know since these two "therms" are not used on tv & in movies... Thank you.

> This tends to happen in the modern world, where we read about computer things that we rarely need to discuss out loud, and nobody seems to know the authorative way to pronounce it.
Thanks!

> especially with abbreviations (some people laugh at me for pronouncing 'gif' like 'jiff', but I'll never ever change). Native english speakers have a hard time with that too, especially when you don't know whether to just spell out the letters or pronounce the letters like a word (for instance "OOP" for object oriented programming. I say the individual letters, butI -have- heard people just say 'oop' as in 'Zoop').
Consolemu
Btw...
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 4:27 am
> X86 assambly. Forget the assembly part. How about the "X86" one? is it "times 86" or "exe (X) 86"?

You probably know this but like Heilophobe said, X is a wild card. Like a variable of some sort. So when you say you know x86 assembly, you could be talking about the 8086, the 80186, 80286, 80386, etc. What's also confusing is the whole DX, SX, BX ordeal. It took me a while to figure out that DX was short for Deluxe, SX meant Software eXtension, and BX meant different versions of Beta software. Like B1 is short for Beta 1. And BX alone could represent many different types of Betas.

Chris :o)

Re: So...
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 4:45 am
> > X86 assambly. Forget the assembly part. How about the "X86" one? is it "times 86" or "exe (X) 86"?

> You probably know this but like Heilophobe said, X is a wild card. Like a variable of some sort. So when you say you know x86 assembly, you could be talking about the 8086, the 80186, 80286, 80386, etc. What's also confusing is the whole DX, SX, BX ordeal. It took me a while to figure out that DX was short for Deluxe, SX meant Software eXtension, and BX meant different versions of Beta software. Like B1 is short for Beta 1. And BX alone could represent many different types of Betas.

> Chris :o)

So, It's an INTEL thing? Is X86 a language designed by intel? Since all the cpu's you mentioned are intel's... Just curious...
  • Site Admin
Re: So...
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 6:43 am

> So, It's an INTEL thing? Is X86 a language designed by intel? Since all the cpu's you mentioned are intel's... Just curious...

not a -language- exactly, it's a family of processors invented and produced by intel.
Each generation of processors was designed to be downwardly compatible with the previous, so as not to break compatibility with previously existing software.

So the 286's did everything the 8086's could do, with some special extensions (new instructions and addressing modes mostly) that the 8086's didn't have. The 386 added things to the 286, but could still run 286 and 8086 code natively. The 486 added to the 386, while remaining downwardly compatible, etc, up through the various pentiums.

x86 assembly refers to the set of instructions that is legal and defined for the 8086, 286, 386, 486, all pentiums, and clones of these processors (plus the athlon family, which I wouldn't quite call a 'clone' so much since it's a major redesign that's cross compatible with p3's in most ways (all the ways that matter)), with the footnote that certain instructions, addressing modes, and other processor features aren't available in all models.

So it's not strictly an intel thing, since other companies make intel-compatible chips (in fact they were calling them 386's, and 486's, until intel started giving their chips names that could be trademarked).
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!