Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - has anyone successfully made a sega master system cart????with eprom??

Reply to topic
drew
has anyone successfully made a sega master system cart????with eprom??
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 8:15 am
i want to know if it is posible to make sms carts today ,,i am just now getting in to this so someone let me know thanks..also i have started working on a game gear to master system adapter kinda like the super gameboy has anyone made one of these yet let me know thanks

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 6:51 pm
> i want to know if it is posible to make sms carts today ,,i am just now getting in to this so someone let me know thanks..

Read through the posts, you'll find some threads on that.
Short answer:
Depending on what you mean, yes.
Mike G has found that you can open up certain sms carts and replace the rom with an eprom containing any sms rom image file, and it'll run on an sms (or game gear).
Only certain carts contain the special chip needed for normal eproms to work, however, as sms roms use some special bank switching rom and it doesn't appear that you can buy eproms with that function.
Otherwise, without any special hardware you can probably burn the first 32k on a regular rom and not need any bank switching chips. 32k is the same size as sega cards, so that's how big a game you could put on it.

As for making a full cart without sacrificing an existing cart, you need to build a PCB, I think you could design and etch one yourself with the right tools, but it's a specialized skill, not something you learn to do in a weekend, and it requires an investment in tools and chemicals you wouldn't happen to have on hand.
There are services that can make small runs of PCB with a design you send in, but it's expensive (it can be $30 or $40 a PCB, or more or less depending on quantity). Or I suppose you could wirewrap the whole thing on veroboard if you were careful. (?).

As for fabricating a new cartridge shell, I just don't know. There are probably factories that will build them to order, but again it's impractical for short runs. Or you could saw it out of fiberglass or plastic and glue it together. Or make a mold and.. uh, well I don't know what you'd pour in it.

Or did you mean, write a game (or demo or whatever) for the sms, and have it run in an emulator or a sms with some sort of devcart? Yes, we've got several homebrew sms roms in the source code section (with source and compiled roms), some of which have been tested to run on a real SMS.

>also i have started working on a game gear to master system adapter kinda like the super gameboy has anyone made one of these yet let me know thanks

Won't work. Actually, it will, but not well enough to be playable.
The specific problems will be that all your colors will be corrupt, and you won't be able to use the start button, so you probably can't start any games. There might be garbage off the corners of the screen and other graphic glitches.
The game gear can play SMS games because it's -downwardly- compatible with the SMS. The two are not (quite) cross-compatible, although similar, the Game Gear has things the SMS does not, and a cartridge converter cannot bridge the gap.
The Super Gameboy works because it has parts of an acutal gameboy right on the cartridge (a z80 CPU and a modified gameboy graphics and sound processor that quickly output to a format the snes can put onto the screen). Also, the snes graphically can do anything the gameboy can do and more, the SMS can't do everything the GG can.

There were some far-fetched ideas for a on-the-fly game gear converter but it's really not something for a hobbyist to do. (I've been proved wrong before, of course)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!