SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - building/buying an eprom burner

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
building/buying an eprom burner
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 7:02 pm
I think whatever thread it was in which is was discussed where you can get an eprom burner kit for cheap has either timed out or was in the old message board. Where was this place? I'm wondering if I'd have a chance at assembling that thing correctly, being an amateur solderer and fairly clueless with electronics.

I don't see myself sinking down for a full eprom burner unless its cheaper than I imagine.

And how much do those lamps cost?
Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 8:48 pm
> I think whatever thread it was in which is was discussed where you can get an eprom burner kit for cheap has either timed out or was in the old message board. Where was this place? I'm wondering if I'd have a chance at assembling that thing correctly, being an amateur solderer and fairly clueless with electronics.

The EPROMr2 may be what you're looking for! Try the site linked below.

My EPROM projects page has some relevant info too, including a home-built eraser project and a tutorial for building a programmer (based on the EPROMr2):

http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/eprom/

Victor Kemp
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 12:53 am

> And how much do those lamps cost?

You don't need a lamp, just use the sun. Well as long as you don't need to erase too many too quickly. If you're lucky you can get one done in 3 or 4 days. In the summer anyway.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 2:40 am
>
> > And how much do those lamps cost?

> You don't need a lamp, just use the sun. Well as long as you don't need to erase too many too quickly. If you're lucky you can get one done in 3 or 4 days. In the summer anyway.

So I've heard.
Um, 3 to 4 days is a little long f
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 2:40 am
>
> > And how much do those lamps cost?

> You don't need a lamp, just use the sun. Well as long as you don't need to erase too many too quickly. If you're lucky you can get one done in 3 or 4 days. In the summer anyway.

So I've heard.
Um, 3 to 4 days is a little long for a compile and test cycle, I think. And in this climate I'd probably have to allow for at least a week.

I think I'll build something like the one Mike G. uses. I've got connections at a pet store so I could probably score the U/V bulb extra cheap too.
Consolemu
Hate to barge in but...
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 8:02 am
What exactly is an EPROM thingie? I'v been hearing that word for some time but I've never really looked into it. Is it the actual device that can read from roms? Can you write binary through them to used or empty Roms? If you can write to them then I want one immediately! Do you have to build it? I'm no electrician or technition but I've taken a class in soddering and I can read boards and piece stuff together. I would give almost anything to get my hands on something that can burn roms. That would open up a huge door of opportunity for me. Writing the software on my PC and then actually testing my code out on the real thing instead of emulators or simulators.

Chris :o)

Re: Hate to barge in but...
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 4:05 pm
> What exactly is an EPROM thingie? I'v been hearing that word for some time but I've never really looked into it. Is it the actual device that can read from roms? Can you write binary through them to used or empty Roms? If you can write to them then I want one immediately! Do you have to build it? I'm no electrician or technition but I've taken a class in soddering and I can read boards and piece stuff together. I would give almost anything to get my hands on something that can burn roms. That would open up a huge door of opportunity for me. Writing the software on my PC and then actually testing my code out on the real thing instead of emulators or simulators.

EPROM stands for Eraseable/Programmable Read-Only Memory. (EEPROM stands for Electrically Eraseable/Programmable Read-Only Memory.) It's a memory chip that can be written to, that doesn't lose it's information when the power is turned off (like a RAM chip would). EPROMs can be used to replace ROM chips (like the ones used in SMS cartridges), making them perfectly suited for use in SMS development carts.

There has been considerable interest in building a SMS development cart ever since Mike G. discovered that some SMS cartridges include the memory paging logic on chips separate from the ROM. This allows one to replace the ROM with an EPROM, programmed with their own software. In fact, Mike G. did exactly this, and tested Heliophobe's tetris demo (Tetracylcine) on a Game Gear with a Master Gear converter. (This was big news on the board a few weeks ago.) So far I believe only Mike G. has successfully created a SMS development cart using this method. You can see a picture of Mike G.'s development cart in the SMS paging chips document in the Technical Documents section.

Programming EPROMS (or EEPROMS) requires an EPROM burner. These devices generally hook up to a PC and program the EPROM from a data file. EPROM burners usually cost a few hundred dollars. However, some of the posts in this thread include information about how to build your own EPROM burner for much less money.

Eric Quinn
  • Site Admin
Re: Hate to barge in but... (long reply)
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 5:35 pm
> What exactly is an EPROM thingie? I'v been hearing that word for some time but I've never really looked into it. Is it the actual device that can read from roms? Can you write binary through them to used or empty Roms? If you can write to them then I want one immediately! Do you have to build it? I'm no electrician or technition but I've taken a class in soddering and I can read boards and piece stuff together. I would give almost anything to get my hands on something that can burn roms. That would open up a huge door of opportunity for me. Writing the software on my PC and then actually testing my code out on the real thing instead of emulators or simulators.

EPROM = Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.

When a company publishes a game in cartridge format, the ROM is made by etching a 'mold' (ROM die) with a microscopic binary 'pattern' of the rom image. In high volumes this is extremely cost effective, since the factory can simply 'stamp' out thousands of identical rom copies, encase them in a 'packaging' usually those DIP style chips you're familiar with seeing (a plastic or ceramic rectangular box with a row of metal pins on each side. DIP stands for Dual Inline Package (i think)). However, etching a rom die is a very expensive process, I think it's around $10,000 for a relatively small rom, probably much more for a Ni****do 64 cartridge...

EPROMs are roms that don't store information by having them etched into them. Rather, they contains thousands of electricity trapping 'cells' (one cell for each bit the eprom can hold). A blank EPROM has no charge in any of the cells. When you want to program an EPROM, and eprom burner (it's not really 'burning', more like zapping, but that's the lingo) will go through each cell on an eprom, and either zap it with enough electricity to 'fill' the cell, or do nothing. After the burning, all the cells will either have a charge or no charge. The bits with a charge represent '0's, and the bits without a charge represent one (that sounds backwards, but that seems to be the way it's done: although that might not be true of all kinds of eproms).

You can then put them where a rom is expected and components canr ead them like a regular rom. They won't lose their charge (except maybe after decades... anyone know how long they tend to last?) They're great for test cycles, or short production runs where etching a rom die would be impractical. Note that EPROMs are not like flash ram, it takes a significant amount of voltage to fill a bit cell (depends on the chip, about 12-20 volts held steady for several milliseconds), and the charge can't be released by interfacing with the pins, so you can't treat EPROMs like RAM, they won't accept a write request.

Ultraviolet light (a significant quantity of it) will erase an eprom by releasing the static charge in the 'set' cells. If you look at an eprom you'll see there's a little window in the center... the window exposes the functional part of the eprom. Sunlight will erase them, but it takes days. Usually you erase them with an ultraviolet lamp, which is (for safety sake) inside of a sealed box, usually in a pull out drawer. Mike G. built one out of an opaque VHS box and florescent lamp with an ultraviolet bulb.

If you don't want it to erase you can cover up the window with UV-opaque tape.

Before burning an eprom, it is tested to make sure all cells are clear. if not, back under the lamp they go.

Other variations:

PROM: same as an eprom, but no window, so it cannot be erased. For the final release, when ready for market. Used instead of ROMs for short production runs.

EEPROMS: Electronically Erasable Programmable blah blah blah: Like EPROMs, but are cleared by a strong pulse of electricity, cleared much faster, usually in the same device that writes to them, so they are more convienent. Also more expensive.

A commercial eprom burner usually has circuitry and an integrated microprocessor to properly test, administer voltage, time each pulse properly, and test again. The host computer just sends a valid image, and the burner takes care of the rest.
Of course these are rather expensive.

A cheap burner lets the computer do most of the work. It hooks through the parallel port, and uses the pulse that come through the parallel port pins to set or not set the cells (the signal is amplified before it's sent to the eprom), and another pin to control timing, and all the logic for reading and testing is part of a computer program which controls it all. The burner is just a 'dumb' circuit.

Some places sell do it your own kits, or you can download instructions and build your own if you know how. (I don't, but I might try and learn. Read Mike G.'s post and visit his own site, he gives instructions for his own EPROM burner that is VERY easy to understand for a guy like me who's only soldered a couple of wires and never built a thing like this). The parts to build it yourself can be under $25, although it requires some tools you may not have on hand. I'll probably have to spend around $50 on related tools before I could get started, but I wanted to anyway (I'll build a pic programmer next.. but that's another day).

You can also read some roms this way. Before arcade emulators were around rom readers and eprom burners were used to replace defective roms chips, so your pacman machine could be used even if a rom fried or corroded away. They were also used to make various hacks (like the 'fastest pacman machine in the west' at our local (old west-themed) arcade). That's why mame romsets usually have such cryptic names for each individual rom image - those names were the codes stamped on each chip, so an arcade operator could easily burn the correct chip and know where to place it.

The basic snag with SMS programming is that rom chips used in most games actually contain special bank-switching logic. It's the work of both the console and the cart rom to resolve which bank is being accessed. With a plain rom, you could -probably- use the first 32k of address space (maybe 48k, but I', uncertain of that), but beyond that, the bank switching registers don't work so you can't read the rest of the rom. It's unknown at this time whether the bankswitching rom format was a proprietary configuration by sega, or if it's some industry standard and there might actually be compatible bank switching eproms you can buy:
probably not, though.

However, Mike G discoverd than some cartridges had two chips, and correctly determined (despite my falsely insisting that 'it was just two roms, nothing special' [slaps forehead]) that one of them is just a standard 128k (or 256k, or 512k, depending on the chip) rom, compatible with 128k+ eproms that are commonly available, and one is a special bank switching chip, that interfaces between the cartridge slot and the rom, resolving read requests into the format the rom (and any eprom) can use. So if you're lucky enough to have such a cart (I -might- still) and an eprom burner, you can burn anything you want onto them, and it'll run on an SMS like it was an sms rom image on an emulator. JUST WHAT WE NEED. Of course, this is a little inconvienent for testing, since the burn and erase cycle can take a while (it's good to have several spare eproms so you can always have one ready to go while the others are in use or being erased). But it's good for now.
It'd also be interesting to find out if those bank switching chips are commercially available, and still compatible with the SMS. -could be-.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 5:46 pm

> The EPROMr2 may be what you're looking for! Try the site linked below.

> My EPROM projects page has some relevant info too, including a home-built eraser project and a tutorial for building a programmer (based on the EPROMr2):

Thank you, Mike!
Does the programmer in your tutorial program eproms that can be used with the sms, or am I going to have to build the epromr2?
I really liked your tutorial.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 7:13 pm
> Thank you, Mike!
> Does the programmer in your tutorial program eproms that can be used with the sms, or am I going to have to build the epromr2?
> I really liked your tutorial.

Thanks! Actually, the programmer is just an EPROMr2, hard wired to program 1 MByte EPROMs exclusively. Only the DIP switches and relevant wire links need to be added to program the full range of devices. I'm in the process of building one now, as it happens, so I'll write an addendum to the tutorial for anyone who wants to build the complete programmer.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2000 7:41 pm

> Thanks! Actually, the programmer is just an EPROMr2, hard wired to program 1 MByte EPROMs exclusively. Only the DIP switches and relevant wire links need to be added to program the full range of devices. I'm in the process of building one now, as it happens, so I'll write an addendum to the tutorial for anyone who wants to build the complete programmer.

stupdendous! Your version seemed to be within my grasp, I guess an extra component won't be much worse. I guess I can give you feedback as a complete novice reading your guide.
I'm going to hopefully get some of the tools and parts this weekend (if I have enough left over from the next paycheck).
The electronics store is a bit of a drive away, I might be better off ordering. hmm

By the way, have you tried anything else in the source section on with your dev cart?
Consolemu
Thanks, for the responses (nt)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:39 am
> I think whatever thread it was in which is was discussed where you can get an eprom burner kit for cheap has either timed out or was in the old message board. Where was this place? I'm wondering if I'd have a chance at assembling that thing correctly, being an amateur solderer and fairly clueless with electronics.

> I don't see myself sinking down for a full eprom burner unless its cheaper than I imagine.

> And how much do those lamps cost?

ATani
Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:35 pm
> Thanks! Actually, the programmer is just an EPROMr2, hard wired to program 1 MByte EPROMs exclusively. Only the DIP switches and relevant wire links need to be added to program the full range of devices. I'm in the process of building one now, as it happens, so I'll write an addendum to the tutorial for anyone who wants to build the complete programmer.

Well, i would certainly be interested in this, i have 5 devcarts (boards with sockets on them) for the Genesis and i am thinking of masacaring a couple real carts for the other systems that i have so i can do some playing :) SO i would certainly love to get this addendum once it is available..

ATani

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!