Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Golden Axe Warrior and Miracle Warriors Maps

Reply to topic
Golden Axe Warrior and Miracle Warriors Maps
Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:52 pm
I was impressed by maxim's stuff, so I tried to make a map for the sms museum.
So this is the world map of Golden Axe Warrior, I hope there's no errors, i think that pixels are right, but I can't be sure that every secrets are on. If you can confirm, i'll give this to the museum, it would be usefull for many players.

[Admin: old link was here, but I recompressed the image to be 80% smaller and added it as an attachment.]
golden_axe_warrior_map.png (209.74 KB)
Golden Axe Warrior overworld map
golden_axe_warrior_map.png

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:11 pm
funny, I did a Golden Axe Warrior Map a few years ago :/

I even hacked the game and stopped the palette cycling so the water and lava looks the same on all pictures, I noticed the water and lava was the same on all pictures on your map too :D

there are a few differences in staircases, and where you have removed trees, stones, bushes where I haven't and so on. A mega great combination map could probably be made from them!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:23 pm
balkry's seems to have all the water and lava the same (by hacking or just waiting), and more secret entrances.

I'm not sure about maps with secrets on them - I think they're useful for cheating but that means they will spoil the fun for people who didn't find the secrets yet. I usually don't add solutions or secrets to my maps.
Miracle Warriors Map
Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:32 pm
Hello, it took me some time, but i have realised the map of Miracle Warriors, it was not really funny, but i hope it could be usefull for some people.
So don't miss to add this to the sms museum

You can find this map also on my website in real size
Here
MiracleWarriors.png (151.39 KB)
Miracle Warriors map
MiracleWarriors.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:26 pm
I ran PNGOUT and made your full-size map into 28KB with no loss :)
MiracleWarriors.png (27.37 KB)
Miracle Warriors world map, smaller file :)
MiracleWarriors.png

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 am
Thank you Maxim, it's really nice.
Now I'll try to make a map for Ultima IV , but i'm affraid what it will take too many time. I don't know if there's an easy way to do this...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:25 pm
balkry wrote
Now I'll try to make a map for Ultima IV , but i'm affraid what it will take too many time. I don't know if there's an easy way to do this...

Hacking! Using MEKA memory editor you may be able find out a way to move the camera in a map, that would simplify things.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm
There's a good chance the whole map is stored in RAM, 1 byte per square(?). There's some software on the vgmaps.com forums that tries to search for that for you. In my experience, camera-position-hacking is hard to get working.
Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm
You can use the magic gem to gaze at the full map. They are sold in Vesper, southeast of Minoc (city of Sacrifice), if I'm not wrong.

In this way you minimize the full width/height of the map and avoid dense forest effect (which hides block tiles). And then you can go for coordinates in RAM so you can have the whole thing (65536 blocks) mapped. Dungeons, cities and shrines included.
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:15 am
Was there ever a program released that allowed you to view the data in any ROM as map data, given a bitmap image as the tileset? I've seen some that can display files as map data, but only with each map cell as a coloured dot, plus it was DOS-only.

If such a program existed, it would help out many things: map-searching, text-searching, etc.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:37 am
I'd be surprised to see maps stored uncompressed, considering the ease with which they can be compressed with RLE. Only in cases where the entire map needed to be accessed (in a read-only form) very quickly would it make sense to do it that way. (Or, if you were making one of the crappy US-developed games which seemed to ignore compression completely...)
Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 pm
I know this is an old topic, but thanks to both for these great maps. The Miracle Warrior map is going to help me a ton (it's tough to get around in the game without it, eh?), and I think I'll try Golden Axe Warrior when I finish Miracle Warriors... for the second time in 20 years or so. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:31 pm
Bock wrote
balkry wrote

Hacking! Using MEKA memory editor you may be able find out a way to move the camera in a map, that would simplify things.

I gave it a quick go. Here's a starting point if you wish to hack Ultima IV for mapping:

There's two set of position stored respectively at C953/C954 (X/Y) and C985/C986 (X/Y), they are based on different origin.

The starting town is at E8,87 and 18,07, so I suspect that the first position could be in some world map and the second one some local map. Anyway. Writing to those values while the game is running its main loop doesn't work (shows garbage). But if you trap writing to those values, and overwrite the values in memory, the camera will be refreshen properly.
break w C953..C954
; move in game, CPU should break
# d 0F4B
0F4B: 21 53 C9     LD HL,C953h
0F4E: 34           INC (HL)
0F4F: 21 85 C9    >LD HL,C985h
0F52: 34           INC (HL)
; for example, this is the code for moving left.
; let the two INC happens, then you can modify the values in RAM and your character will be moved properly.

Feel free to reply on this topic in the development forum if you want to take it further.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:47 pm
Sounds like it could be hacked with player 2 controls to adjust those RAM variables.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:33 pm
The world map (and town maps, etc) is stored uncompressed in RAM starting at $D000, loaded whenever the view changes. The current position is looked up in there and copied to $D800 once per frame, where it is used to make the displayed part. Each square is 2 bytes, one byte for the graphics and the other presumably for everything else. Dumping RAM should thus give you the whole map, you just have to decode the format, easy enough to do by poking 01 00 02 00 03 00 etc in the RAM viewer in Meka. Alternatively, you can figure out how it's loaded there and read the source data in from the ROM.
Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm
When I've said , "I want to make an Ultima IV map" , I wasn't thinking how it could be a such interest for you. But sorry for the suggestions of hacking the ram, I make java all the day, and when I come back to home, it's not for looking again code especially asm or some hexadecimal stuff.
So, I've began this week my map with old school methods : screenshots and PhotoShop. In only 2 hours I've make 75% of the map ( a one with the magic gems ) .If The Smashing Pumpkins had not came back and a final of the Champions League to see this week, it would be already finished.
This weekend, we will the result see of a first map. And I think, I can convert it after to the real format with some copy/paste of the squares.
Thanks for your help.
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:06 am
If you want to speed up the mapmaking progress, there are programs (like IrfanView) that can stitch up whole rows of images automatically for you. Just a heads up.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 am
Are you aware of anything that will auto-stitch pixel-based images with arbitrary overlapping sections? Irfanview only does a basic stick-all-the-images-together-left-to-right operation, and all other image-stitching software I've tried is designed for photos and does spherical distortion, blending, rotation, etc. A lazy, slow, user-helped brute-force pixel-happy stitcher wouldn't be too hard to write, if I ever get around to it.
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:37 pm
Yes, I was going to mention, but didn't, that of course, the pics could not have overlapping sections. But then really, aren't overlapping sections in screen shots just due to the sloppiness of the player?

Heh, just joking. :-)
Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:12 am
Hello, This is the first version of the Ultima map ( with gem ).
At first look, it seems to be difficult to find / replace squares of this map with the squares of the original world. And I don't want to replace manualy 65000 blocks.
I will look for a good software to make this hard job.
UtlimaIV_Map.png (30.29 KB)
UtlimaIV_Map.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 pm
There's some custom software linked from the vgmaps.com forums that can do that, but I haven't tried it myself and I've never heard of anything else to do the same job.
JonLeung
Replacing tiles
Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:30 pm
balkry wrote
And I don't want to replace manualy 65000 blocks.
I will look for a good software to make this hard job.

Hi, this is JonLeung, webmaster of VGMaps.

A mapper by the name of Revned created a tile slicer/splicer tool that can allow you to replace tiles. You can find it on my forums. I'd post it, except that I'm not registered. Just go to any topic and change the topic number in the URL to "102".

[Admin: here's the link: http://www.vgmaps.com/forums/genmessage.php?topic=102 and I've attached a copy to this post.]

It's really handy, I use it to check maps for errors.

Just run the slicer, and then it'll create individual .PNGs for each unique tile. If you see more than one very similar tile, then you know there's an error on one of them. Replace one with a copy of the other, splice it all together, then slice it apart again, until you're sure it's all correct.

Hope that helps! :)
0.5.zip (5.87 KB)
Revned's Tile Slicer/Splicer 0.5

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:43 am
Maxim wrote
A lazy, slow, user-helped brute-force pixel-happy stitcher wouldn't be too hard to write, if I ever get around to it.

- resulting image
Not really applicable to RPG maps, because it can't do the "user-helped" bit, but watching it "paint" out a scrolling game is cool. Now I just need to modify Meka to have "screenshot every nth frame" option...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 am
Reviving an old thread
For some reason the Golden Axe Warrior map had never been posted on the main site so it's now available here
http://www.smspower.org/Games/GoldenAxeWarrior-SMS
Still missing the dungeon maps though.

How about the Ultima IV map, any progress on that ? What exactly is wrong with the map posted above ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm
As it happens, Will Mallia submitted full dungeon maps to VGMaps today, and we can post them when they appear.

The Ultima map is a view of the world, not as it's seen in game.
Ultima IV Map
Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:11 pm
Hi.
I am happy and proud to present the map of Ultima IV, many years after the first one.
This one is really that you can see in the game ( not like the 'gem one').

It was a hard job to make it.
I used the advice that you provide us for the map in the RAM.
So I dumped RAM for all the parts the game (64 dumps), beginning from the coordinates in the game AA-AA to PP-PP.

I assemble this to have 8 dumps per line in order to represent the whole world.

As maxim said, there are 2 maps in the RAM.
The first one seems to represent everything that you have in the gem map.
The second one represents everything which is "changing" : shores, lava, water ...

In the first you have 22 different combinations and 36 in the second.
If the value is "A0" in the second one, it seems that you are on a "hard" square , something which never change : mountains, hills, towns ...

I create a small software to replace the RAM Hex by the proper square of 12*12 pixels and create the image after that.
So, a part of the final map came from the Map 1 (when Map 2 value is 'A0') , and the rest from the Map 2.

So yes, it is a generated map, but I think it's the perfect reflection of the game.

I'll try later this method with the maps of the towns and dungeon. I hope it will work in the same way and with same hex codes ;-)

I join to this, the RAM Dumps and the software (only a Java class with the "png" files), if you're interested.

I hope my explanation is correct (i am scared of my english skills).
Enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask if you're interested.
Ultima IV.png (317 KB)
Ultima IV.png
Ultima IV.zip (379.52 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:44 pm
That's really awesome. I hadn't realised it had 12x12 tiles, that's quite weird :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:12 pm
Great job. It's very exciting to progress this way making tools and hacking things!
Ultima maps update
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:59 pm
I have tried to generate maps for towns castle, it was not hard, i uploaded the results on the maps page of Ultima IV.
http://www.smspower.org/Maps/UltimaIV-SMS

But for the dungeons, i'll have to find an other way, because the map seems to store differently, or in an other place ...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm
I changed the Ultima map thumbnails to cropped squares to match the other maps on the site. This makes the thumbnails less spoiler-y and also makes the thumbnails load faster.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:41 pm
Thanks, I have to admit that it is really better.
I'll make thumbnails like this for the next time.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm
A long time ago in galaxy far far away I was into making game maps on excel. One of the ones I made was a world map for Golden Axe Warrior:

I had two gilcee canvas maps made from the file - the small one is 11" x 17" and the larger is 24" x 36". The guy that made them for me can now make one that is up 60"x 90" - not sure what I would do with one that size but it would be pretty nifty.

I also made maps of all of the battles for Warsong - and by torturing excel I was able to create hex grid battle maps for Brigandine and Dark Wizard,
image 4 (1).png (1.55 MB)
image 4 (1).png

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 am
Wow!! it's a great use for Excel!! :-D
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 am
Just try http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=53021 ...
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:51 am
Maxim wrote
Just try http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=53021 ...

wtf!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!