SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Use a SMS controller with a computer

Reply to topic
Sjeep
Use a SMS controller with a computer
Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2000 11:47 am
Is it possible to use a SMS controller with a computer?

The controller fits into the serial port, so I was wondering if there was some software that would enable you to use it like a normal joystick.

It would be great if you could use a origional sms controller with an emulator.

-=Sjeep=-

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2000 1:08 pm
> Is it possible to use a SMS controller with a computer?

> The controller fits into the serial port, so I was wondering if there was some software that would enable you to use it like a normal joystick.

> It would be great if you could use a origional sms controller with an emulator.

There is such a thing - it's called Direct Pad Pro and will support SMS, MD, Saturn, Atari, PSX, SNES, N64 controllers among others. It's freeware and can be downloaded from the URL below. It consists of an interface which connects to the parallel port, and a driver which lets you use it under Direct X in Windows. (MAME, incidentally, supports this interface natively.)

Mike

_Maximo_
Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 8:15 pm

> There is such a thing - it's called Direct Pad Pro and will support SMS, MD, Saturn, Atari, PSX, SNES, N64 controllers among others. It's freeware and can be downloaded from the URL below. It consists of an interface which connects to the parallel port, and a driver which lets you use it under Direct X in Windows. (MAME, incidentally, supports this interface natively.)
> Mike

parallel ? why make an interface if the sms controller, just like the Brazilian NES, atari 2600, and genesis..
fits into the serial..
havent a way ??

_Maximo_

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 8:23 pm
> parallel ? why make an interface if the sms controller, just like the Brazilian NES, atari 2600, and genesis..
> fits into the serial..
> havent a way ??

It fits the socket, yes, but it's not a serial device, so it can't be used directly via this port.

Mike
Maximo
Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 1:30 am
> It fits the socket, yes, but it's not a serial device, so it can't be used directly via this port.

i know that..
but i asking with there's not a program that reads the serial, and make it behave like a paralel..

Maximo

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 2:27 am
> > It fits the socket, yes, but it's not a serial device, so it can't be used directly via this port.

> i know that..
> but i asking with there's not a program that reads the serial, and make it behave like a paralel..

It's a question of wiring.
The serial port (serial = 1 bit at a time transmission, it only transmits data across a single pin) is simply not wired to be able to read from the other pins that those sorts of joysticks use to send data (they are parellel interfaces, that is, data is sent across several pins simultaneously... at least 5 pins, more for sms, genesis, and others).

Software cannot help here, you can't read from connections that aren't there. There has to be some sort of hardware interface.

One could build a serial port adapter that converts 9-pin parellel joystick signals to a serial code, which driver software could reinterperet as joystick movements. That would be nice if it existed, since most people don't use their serial port for much anymore unless you're stuck without a PS/2 mouse port.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!