SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - more cart/EPROM hacking stuff

Reply to topic
vecna
more cart/EPROM hacking stuff
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 12:05 am
Hmm. Well, I was intrigued by the prospect of hacking up a cart to be programmable, so after finally finding a screwdriver with a small enough head to fit but with a large enough handle to be usable, I opened up all my SMS carts in search of games that might be suitable for such an operation. Most of them were just the simple one-chip banked ROMs, but there are a couple interesting ones. Note that from my observations, the white/brown board color doesn't have anything to do with how many ICs are on the board. Damn. ^_^

Here are the carts of interest:

Phantasy Star: Two large ICs, 315-5235 and MPR-11711AT, and a smaller IC, labelled MB8464A-15LL-SK, with the battery mounted on the back.

Miracle Warriors: One large IC, MPR-11710, and the same smaller MB8464A-15LL-SK IC that Phantasy Star had. [has battery ram]

Penguin Land: Two large ICs, MPR-11190 and 315-5235. A smaller IC, the same size as the MB8... one, but this one says NEC JAPAN, D4363CX-15LL. I wonder if it serves the same purpose, just different make. (shrug) Also one more IC, a very tiny MB3771. [has battery RAM]

Y's: One large IC, MPR-12044F. Small MB8... IC. [has battery RAM]

R-Type: Two large ICs. 315-5235 and MPR-12002-T.

After Burner: Two large ICs. 315-5235 and MPR-11271-H.

Of all those games, I'm hoping After Burner is able to be turned into a devcart... because the game totally sucks, and it's a 512k game. I don't know however if the two chips are one ROM and one IC for banking control, or since it's a 4mbit game, just two seperate ROM chips.

Miracle Warriors also totally sucks, and has RAM, but it's only a 128k game.

I've had uh.. experience soldering stuff and building simple electronics from kits, but I've never really done any hardware hacking or circuit design. Hell, where does one get an EPROM programmer thingymajig? I don't really think the corner Radio Shack sells 'em... How hard is it to hack one of these things? I'd be willing to sacrifice After Burner or Miracle Warriors certainly in the name of science, and almost any of the other games with some reluctance, I guess cause that's what emulation is for. ^_~ I really, really do not want to mess with my Phantasy Star cart, tho, just cause I'm a PS nut and spent far too long tracking down an actual cart copy of the game to destroy it.

Hmm... now that I'm no longer a console-stuff-taker-aparter-virgin, I should maybe pick up one of those $19.99 Genesis 3s they sell at my place of employ and take that apart. If we could get a IC that handled 512k ROMs, you can fit some genesis games onto that...

- vecna

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 2:02 am

> I've had uh.. experience soldering stuff and building simple electronics from kits, but I've never really done any hardware hacking or circuit design. Hell, where does one get an EPROM programmer thingymajig? I don't really think the corner Radio Shack sells 'em... How hard is it to hack one of these things? I'd be willing to sacrifice After Burner or Miracle Warriors certainly in the name of science, and almost any of the other games with some reluctance, I guess cause that's what emulation is for. ^_~ I really, really do not want to mess with my Phantasy Star cart, tho, just cause I'm a PS nut and spent far too long tracking down an actual cart copy of the game to destroy it.

I've heard that www.ldti.com sells EPROM programmers for unusally cheap prices.

> Hmm... now that I'm no longer a console-stuff-taker-aparter-virgin, I should maybe pick up one of those $19.99 Genesis 3s they sell at my place of employ and take that apart. If we could get a IC that handled 512k ROMs, you can fit some genesis games onto that...

Hey, the cool controller that ships with those things is worth
20 bucks alone. If you do take this route, I'll warn you that
the Genesis 3 (unlike most other models) actually does
security checks on cartridges, so any homebrewn programs would
have to be properly set up to actually run.

Consolemu
Hey!!
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 4:53 am
After Burner doesn't suck! It may be difficult and repetive but it doesn't suck. I'm sorry but that game has some excellent graphics for it's time. Especially in the later levels.

Chris :o)

Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 4:11 pm
> Hmm... now that I'm no longer a console-stuff-taker-aparter-virgin, I should maybe pick up one of those $19.99 Genesis 3s they sell at my place of employ and take that apart. If we could get a IC that handled 512k ROMs, you can fit some genesis games onto that...

> - vecna

i demand you ship me some neat elusive stuff like genesis3's and even crusty old Nes stuff! it is rare here (well rare is the wrong term, because that indicated highly soughtafter. rare like leperosy would be a better comment)

• Site Admin
Re: Hey!!
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 4:42 pm
> After Burner doesn't suck! It may be difficult and repetive but it doesn't suck. I'm sorry but that game has some excellent graphics for it's time. Especially in the later levels.

It absolutely, irrevokably, undeniably sucks. It's the worst SMS game I own.

But we're getting off topic again.

Hopefully my penguin land can be sacrficed for greater good. I suppose it's a good game but I just don't enjoy it enough.
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 5:42 pm
> Hmm. Well, I was intrigued by the prospect of hacking up a cart to be programmable, so after finally finding a screwdriver with a small enough head to fit but with a large enough handle to be usable, I opened up all my SMS carts in search of games that might be suitable for such an operation. Most of them were just the simple one-chip banked ROMs, but there are a couple interesting ones. Note that from my observations, the white/brown board color doesn't have anything to do with how many ICs are on the board. Damn. ^_^

Do the carts with the 315-5235 all have a white board?

> After Burner: Two large ICs. 315-5235 and MPR-11271-H.

This (or R-Type) is probably your best bet - unsolder the MPR- chip (MPR denotes a ROM in a Master System cartridge) and solder a 32 pin socket in its place, so you can plug in a 512k EPROM.

If you later have a burning (!) desire to play After Burner for some bizarre reason, you can just plug the ROM you unsoldered back into the socket.

As for the EPROM programmer, commercial designs are generally expensive, but you can build your own - the EPROMr2 from www.zws.com is the one I use.

Mike
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 9:12 pm
>> After Burner doesn't suck! It may be difficult and repetive but it doesn't suck. I'm sorry but that game has some excellent graphics for it's time. Especially in the later levels.
> It absolutely, irrevokably, undeniably sucks. It's the worst SMS game I own.

Think about Back to the Future 2. It beats them all!

> But we're getting off topic again.

Being a bastard I'm going to abuse of my right in this message. It's still off topic! :)

> Hopefully my penguin land can be sacrficed for greater good. I suppose it's a good game but I just don't enjoy it enough.

Shit, no. Send it to me, I love it :) I'll give you a Back to the Future 2 in exchange!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2000 10:07 pm
> >> After Burner doesn't suck! It may be difficult and repetive but it doesn't suck. I'm sorry but that game has some excellent graphics for it's time. Especially in the later levels.
> > It absolutely, irrevokably, undeniably sucks. It's the worst SMS game I own.

> Think about Back to the Future 2. It beats them all!

so I guess it's the worst SMS game -you- own?
that's a statement with some clout.

> Being a bastard I'm going to abuse of my right in this message. It's still off topic! :)

How do you program 3-d stufF? what is the c command for that?
and how do you pleasure a woman?
can you do that in visual basic?

> > Hopefully my penguin land can be sacrficed for greater good. I suppose it's a good game but I just don't enjoy it enough.

> Shit, no. Send it to me, I love it :) I'll give you a Back to the Future 2 in exchange!

Hell, I'd take you up on it if I could hack a devcart out of back to the future 2.
Consoemu
Haha!!
Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2000 3:56 am
> >> After Burner doesn't suck! It may be difficult and repetive but it doesn't suck. I'm sorry but that game has some excellent graphics for it's time. Especially in the later levels.
> > It absolutely, irrevokably, undeniably sucks. It's the worst SMS game I own.

> Think about Back to the Future 2. It beats them all!

True, true. If I ever got a chance to interview the team that created that raving beauty of a game, I would do the following things...

1) Bring a 10 or 15 pound wet fish.
2) Ask them all to lean to the side so I could give them wet willies.
3) Ask them all to lean to the other side and smack them with the wet fish.
4) Ask them what kind of drugs they were taking while they developed that game so I could pitch in on a dose fer myself :o)

I really just want to take a wet fish, a duffle bag, a sock with 4 or 5 other socks, and just whail those bastards back and fourth. I wouldn't stop. "This is for the stupid skateboard ride!!" *WHAP!!* "This is for degrading that nice movie!!" *WHAP!!* "This is for...I dunno! Fuck!" *WHAP!!!* "And make sure you give this to whoever thought of publishing and advertising this game!!" *WHAP!!* Then, I'd breathe, redeem my composure, quietly walk away, and then turn back around, jump and give a gigantic whack! Then, I'd breathc, redeem my compsure, quietly walk away, and then turn with the Michael Jackson laugh (Like in the Thriller Video), "Guaaahahah! Guahahahahhahaaaaaa!"

Chris :o)

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2000 5:56 am
>> Think about Back to the Future 2. It beats them all!
> so I guess it's the worst SMS game -you- own?
> that's a statement with some clout.

You really gotta try it anyway. The you will reconsiders what you said about Afterburner.

>> Being a bastard I'm going to abuse of my right in this message. It's still off topic! :)
> How do you program 3-d stufF? what is the c command for that?
> and how do you pleasure a woman?
> can you do that in visual basic?

wow, a Chris emulator ! ^_^

>>> Hopefully my penguin land can be sacrficed for greater good. I suppose it's a good game but I just don't enjoy it enough.
>> Shit, no. Send it to me, I love it :) I'll give you a Back to the Future 2 in exchange!
> Hell, I'd take you up on it if I could hack a devcart out of back to the future 2.

We'll arrange that by e-mail.
vecna
Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2000 10:32 pm
> Do the carts with the 315-5235 all have a white board?

Nope; Both R-Type and After Burner have the 315-5235 and brown boards; likewise, HangOn&SafariHunt, Choplifter, and Great Volleyball have white boards and are single-IC ROMs.

> This (or R-Type) is probably your best bet - unsolder the MPR- chip (MPR denotes a ROM in a Master System cartridge) and solder a 32 pin socket in its place, so you can plug in a 512k EPROM.

> As for the EPROM programmer, commercial designs are generally expensive, but you can build your own - the EPROMr2 from www.zws.com is the one I use.

Hmm. Thanks for the help. Course, now I also need to find places to buy the 32 pin socket itself, as well as a 512k EPROM, but I suspect I can find some online place to order such things... Do you recommend any place in particular?

- vecna

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 10:21 pm
> Hmm. Thanks for the help. Course, now I also need to find places to buy the 32 pin socket itself, as well as a 512k EPROM, but I suspect I can find some online place to order such things... Do you recommend any place in particular?

Well, it depends where you are... I live in the UK and get a lot of my stuff from Maplin (www.maplin.co.uk). RS Components (rswww.com) and CPC Electronics (www.cpc.co.uk) are also supposedly good UK suppliers, though I haven't personally used them.

(CPC, in particular, stock a lot of hard to find Sega parts, like control pad spares, cart connectors and the special screw drivers to open carts, if you ever need those items.)

In the US, MCM Electronics (www.i-mcm.com) is often mentioned. (As a last resort there's always Tandy/Radio Shack, but don't count on anything you want being in stock!)

Hope this is of some help.

Mike
Nyef
Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 6:38 pm
> In the US, MCM Electronics (www.i-mcm.com) is often mentioned. (As a last resort there's always Tandy/Radio Shack, but don't count on anything you want being in stock!)

MCM charges an arm and a leg for shipping. Radio Shaft merely charges an arm and a leg. Depending on where you are in the country, you may be able to find a local electronics store (I was suprised to find that the _only_ Jameco retailer in the state is a couple miles from where I live). Also, dead consumer electronics can be a good source of parts.

I really recommend finding a local retailer if you can. If only for the instant gratification (as in, you have what you need in minutes, not days).

--Nyef

depet
Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2000 3:13 pm

> (CPC, in particular, stock a lot of hard to find Sega parts, like control pad spares, cart connectors and the special screw drivers to open carts, if you ever need those items.)

Is there a trick to open a cart with those security screws
if I don't have a special screwdriver? (without breaking it of course)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2000 8:05 pm
> Is there a trick to open a cart with those security screws
> if I don't have a special screwdriver? (without breaking it of course)

It's possible to file the blade of a standard flat blade screwdriver, to create a "fork" with two prongs to fit opposite notches of the security screw. This should work, provided the screws aren't too tight!

Mike
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!