Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - For Charles Mac Donald...

Reply to topic
Consolemu
For Charles Mac Donald...
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:22 am
Hey,

I downloaded the latest version of your Master System/Game Gear emulator and I just had to give you mad props...it's nice! Even though there's no spiffy GUI, neat little cheats and patches, it's accurate! It's very accurate! Especially sound wise! I know there's problems with the digital sound portion of it but the PSG is perfect! It sounds exactly like the SMS. I couldn't believe it when I enabled digital sound (-sound). I loaded up Thunder Blade and After Burner and the Noise channel is so authentic is kinda scares me. Shinobi, Vigilante, Double Dragon, Cyborg Hunter, they all sound correct (except for the voices). It's times like this when I wish there was someway vecna could take his graphical core, you could take your sound core, Zoop could take the GUI and the ROM naming database and stuff, and everyone create a super accurate Sega 8-Bits emulator. This would solve all this bits and pieces to the Sega emulation puzzle.

Chris :o)

Consolemu
Oh yeah, Also...
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:26 am
I checked out your other fine works and I must say, you have a special talent when it comes to sound emulation. I used GYMPlay and converted the GYMs to .WAV files and the digital sound is uncanny. It almost feels like there's a Genesis hooked up inside my computer. Again, if there was some way you could take your Yamaha sound core, Angus take his 32X emulation stuff, and the author of Gens create a super Sega 16/32 Bits emulation super system. This too would solve the Genesis emulation puzzle. Keep up the excellent work and I'll be looking out for any new releases or minor changes to your programs.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 6:44 am
[..]
> I couldn't believe it when I enabled digital sound (-sound). I loaded up Thunder Blade and After Burner and the Noise channel is so authentic is kinda scares me. Shinobi, Vigilante, Double Dragon, Cyborg Hunter, they all sound correct (except for the voices).

How different it is than Meka?

>It's times like this when I wish there was someway vecna could take his graphical core, you could take your sound core, Zoop could take the GUI and the ROM naming database and stuff, and everyone create a super accurate Sega 8-Bits emulator. This would solve all this bits and pieces to the Sega emulation puzzle.

Easy to say.
Consolemu
Different than Meka
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 8:03 am
I dunno if I said this before but people have told me that I have the god-given gift of distinguishing various tones. I can tell if an instrument isn't in tune, if a sound is off frequency, or if two sound patterns are different. Hopefully, you'll take what I'm saying literally and not as some arrogant slam or opinion. The melodic square wave tones in Meka are nice and accurate but the Noise Channel is a bit off. I don't know what it is but it doesn't sound like the original in some cases. Yes, it can play the 'dok' (base kick) 'hiss' (hi-hat) and 'prack' (snare drum) sounds of the PSG well in songs but sometimes the sound effect use of it is off in certain games. Not by a lot though. Don't do anything rash. It just a bit of tinkering somewhere that I have no clue programming wise but I can hear a difference between yours and Charles' sound engines.

Re: Different than Meka
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 4:36 pm
> I dunno if I said this before but people have told me that I have the god-given gift of distinguishing various tones. I can tell if an instrument isn't in tune, if a sound is off frequency, or if two sound patterns are different. Hopefully, you'll take what I'm saying literally and not as some arrogant slam or opinion. The melodic square wave tones in Meka are nice and accurate but the Noise Channel is a bit off. I don't know what it is but it doesn't sound like the original in some cases. Yes, it can play the 'dok' (base kick) 'hiss' (hi-hat) and 'prack' (snare drum) sounds of the PSG well in songs but sometimes the sound effect use of it is off in certain games. Not by a lot though. Don't do anything rash. It just a bit of tinkering somewhere that I have no clue programming wise but I can hear a difference between yours and Charles' sound engines.

And if I tell you the PSG emulation code is the exact same one?
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 4:57 pm

Thanks for the comments, I was going for that 'Master Gear'
sort of interface, which means all the nifty features went
out the window. Though I will admit the next version may
have some kind of simple GUI so you can load more than one
game per sessioon.

Believe or not, both Meka and SMS Plus use the SN76489 sound
emulation code from MAME. They should sound identical. But,
I use the PSG code from the current version of MAME, which
has had some minor internal changes. Maybe Meka uses an older
version, perhaps.

I think the sound is good too, but I really want to get voices,
Game Gear stereo sound, and FM sound working also. There's a lot
of work left for me to do. :)

Consolemu
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:29 pm
Well then, I know I'm not crazy. You must have a newer version therefore the sound is better. I do hear differences. Trust me.

Consolemu
Re: Different than Meka
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:31 pm
They probably both use the same core but I'm telling you somehow it's better on SMS Plus. Mabye he's using a newer version of the core that's more accurate.

• Site Admin
other reasons..
Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:59 pm
> They probably both use the same core but I'm telling you somehow it's better on SMS Plus. Mabye he's using a newer version of the core that's more accurate.

> Chris :o)

Chris, check whether both emulators are set to the same sound settings, that is, bit depth, output rate, etc.

The noise channel might come out a bit muffled at 22khz, and very muffled at 11khz.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!