SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star Retranslation 0.91 update

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
  • Site Admin
Phantasy Star Retranslation 0.91 update
Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:28 pm
The Phantasy Star retranslation patch has received a minor update today, with minor script clean-ups and a fixed checksum.
Phantasy Star retranslation 0.91
vbt
Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:13 pm
nice job Bock :)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:31 pm
I have nothing to do with that, I'm just posting a news because Maxim is in vacation. The patch is credited to "Paul Jensen, Z80 Gaiden, satsu, TheRedEye, Maxim".
Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:54 am
I believe I may have found an ingame translation bug

Included is a savestate and ingame save, go into the building above the character.
Phantasy Star (J) [!].png (19.92 KB)
Screenshot of bug
Phantasy Star (J) [!].png
PStrans_bug.zip (11.58 KB)
Savestate + ingame save - go into building above you

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 pm
zeus wrote
I believe I may have found an ingame translation bug

Included is a savestate and ingame save, go into the building above the character.

Hey, thanks a lot for reporting this, I'm sure a couple other bugs slipped through (in fact, someone on another forum found one: if you try to buy a passport without enough money, you get gibberish text).
Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:49 pm
Just noticed this little blurb in the translated manual:

Algol has three planets: Palma, the third planet; Motavia, the second planet; and Dezoris, the third planet.

Which one is first? :)
Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:07 pm
Palma is the first planet. The text should read:

"Algol has three planets: Palma, the first planet; Motavia, the second planet; and Dezoris, the third planet."

Note that the English translation of the Japanese manual is very literal. In "smoother" English, it would read:

"Algol has three planets: Palma, Motavia, and Dezoris."
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:21 pm
I fixed the manual typo; I'm leaving it "unlocalised" (ie. not edited into "smoother" English) for now, but anyone is welcome to do that if they wish.
Souther
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:35 am
Maxim wrote
I fixed the manual typo; I'm leaving it "unlocalised" (ie. not edited into "smoother" English) for now, but anyone is welcome to do that if they wish.

there is another bug i have encountered.

If you try and buy the ceramic sword you get this message "ok take care" or something along those lines and you are exited from the shop.

There is also a translation error where 1 guy says Abion and 1 guy says Avion.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 am
here is a pic to show what i mean.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 am
Thanks for all the bug reports. Please continue to report any bugs to this thread, preferably including a savegame - either Meka .s00/.s01/etc savestates, or any emulator's .sav or .ssm savegame which will contain your 5 in-game save slots.

Can someone please provide a savegame for the ceramic sword bug?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 pm
Last edited by Souther on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
Thanks for all the bug reports. Please continue to report any bugs to this thread, preferably including a savegame - either Meka .s00/.s01/etc savestates, or any emulator's .sav or .ssm savegame which will contain your 5 in-game save slots.

Can someone please provide a savegame for the ceramic sword bug?

heres the save game file. I am using freezesms emu.

i'm including the Battery savegame file

Hopefully this helps you out.
Unknown rom - Phantasy Star (J) [1CDD9244].zip (502 B)
battery save file(freezesms emulator used)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:52 pm
I removed the ROM from your attachment. The .sram file is all I need, and I'd like to avoid directly distributing the ROM.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 pm
Maxim wrote
I removed the ROM from your attachment. The .sram file is all I need, and I'd like to avoid directly distributing the ROM.

sorry about that.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:03 pm
When trying to "use" the "Laerma Berries" and its presumably not the right time you get the text

"Alisa took out the Laerma Berries. He's not hungry right now, so the berries were put back."

Unless i'm mistaken Alisa is a female and thus is should be she and not he.

*Potential spoiler alert*
Also when you have a conversation with "Otegani Chie-chan" asking you to tell her what you think of the game. Is this intended for another area? I believe the officially released English game said something about raising the prism to see the dark castle. I can provide a save for this if required.
*end spoiler*
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:32 am
Zeus: The line "He's not hungry now..." should read "Myau's not hungry now..." -- an apparent error in the script.

As for your question about Otegami Chie-chan, oddly enough, she is supposed to show up in the place you mentioned. I guess the original Japanese to English translators decided to replace Chie-chan with some other dialogue.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:00 pm
Last edited by Tom on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Just wanted to inform everyone that, if I'm not being stopped within a couple of days, I'll translate the manual to italian. I know there are at least 2 or 3 other italian users on this board and with this announcement I hope to avoid duplicate works.

Edit for updates.
Done: around 98.99%.
ETA: soon.
Tylon?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:20 am
Excellent work on this one Paul. It's a really impressive hack.

I really have to question "Tylon", though. Wouldn't Tyrone make a lot more sense, since it's an actual name? What's your basis for translating it this way?

Sorry if this is an obvious question or if it's been addressed before.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:38 am
I think "Tylon" is more close to the original sound.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:40 pm
The decision to use 'Tylon' instead of 'Tyrone' was based on a few factors:

First, the name is written タイロン (TA-I-RO-N). The two consecutive vowels in the first half of the name (TA-I) cause the pitch accent to fall on the vowel I. The resulting pronunciation is taIron, but crucially not taiRON. I think that 'Tyrone' would be represented in Japanese as タイロウン (TA-I-RO-U-N). The two pairs of consecutive vowels on either side of the lateral flap R would cause the accent to occur later in the word. The pronunciation in that case would be something like taIROun.

The other factor is that the Phantasy Star Compendium (at least I think that was the source) lists the name as "Tylon".
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 am
That explaination makes some sense. I still don't like the name Tylon, but if there's good reason to translate it that way, I won't blame you for it.

Quick little error I found: Tylon's default armor is "Iron Armour", when the rest of the game favors the american spelling without the "u". This also causes the item name to go onto the next like so it looks like:

Iron Armou
r

Also the guy who talks to you as you get on the ship in the spaceport says Motabia, but it's Motavia elsewhere.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:48 am
Those should both have been fixed in 0.91.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:18 pm
I never downloaded 090 at all, though, so I know I used the 091 patch.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:12 pm
Aargh, it seems in all the excitement I forgot to Americanise Armour back to Armor. I can't find any reference to Motabia in 0.91 though - can you quote the exact text (or just make a screenshot)?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:30 pm
Sure, no problem

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:26 am
There it is, sure enough. It'll be fixed in the next update... for now, assume the airport guy has an accent or something.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 pm
I have to thank your guys for all your hard work. I haven't played this far through the the game since I beat it when I was 10 years old.

Couple other minor things, 2 screens attached

Screen 1: I could be wrong, since I haven't seen the Japanese script, but this line looks a little suspect. First of all, Onee-san would probably be addressing Alisa, and not a name, since that would just been "sister" in Japanese (not neccessarily used literally). Also Chouko might be more naturally romanized as Choko since it isn't a Japanese name, and could be a reference to one of the designers in the credits who also goes by Choko (I've seen this name used many times in games, including Treasure's mysterious "Choko Monkey" and Tetsuhiko Kikuchi's hampster Choco. I've never seen it romanized as Chouko, though. Just speculating, but in any event the line sends up a red flag.

Screen 2: Obvious little formatting error. Removing the space between "Living" and "Dead" would probably resolve this.

Choko Oneesan
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:22 am
Frogacuda wrote

Screen 1: I could be wrong, since I haven't seen the Japanese script, but this line looks a little suspect. First of all, Onee-san would probably be addressing Alisa, and not a name, since that would just been "sister" in Japanese (not neccessarily used literally). Also Chouko might be more naturally romanized as Choko since it isn't a Japanese name, and could be a reference to one of the designers in the credits who also goes by Choko (I've seen this name used many times in games, including Treasure's mysterious "Choko Monkey" and Tetsuhiko Kikuchi's hampster Choco. I've never seen it romanized as Chouko, though. Just speculating, but in any event the line sends up a red flag.

You've got it mostly right. Let me see if I can clear this up.

The original line from the game is:

チョウコオネーサンデース。 ガンバッテ ボウケンヲ ツヅケテネ。
chouko oneesan de~su. gambatte bouken (w)o tudzukete ne.

This is a bit of dialogue I struggled with for a long time, until I came upon this interview, which contains the following in a sidebar:

「...デザインの"CHOKO"は、ちょう子姉さん(後にセガのテレフォンサービス"ジョイジョイテレフォン"の看板娘となる)です。」

Translation: 'The [game] designer CHOKO is Choko Oneesan (who later became the showgirl for Sega's Joy-Joy Telephone service).'

It hit me that this Choko Oneesan and the Choko Oneesan in Phantasy Star were the same person. This isn't too crazy to conclude considering that Gamer Miki-chan (another Sega staff member) already had a cameo in the game. So the correct translation is:

(spoken very "cutely") 'I'm Choko Oneesan! Be tough and carry on your adventure!'

A note about "oneesan". When used literally, oneesan means 'big sister'. But it can also be used figuratively. The most natural English translation of the figurative meaning would be something like 'auntie', so another possible translation would have been 'Auntie Choko', but I (arbitrarily) left it as 'Choko Oneesan'.

Now that you bring it up, though, I think it would be a good idea to get rid of the "u" in "Chouko Oneesan" so that it's just "Choko Oneesan". Chouko is indeed a Japanese name, but since most Japanese names with long "ou"'s like "Ryouko" and "Tarou" are usually written in English as 'Ryoko' and 'Taro', it makes sense to drop the "u" from "Chouko".

To Maxim: you were right -- I probably should release translation notes. :)
Re: Choko Oneesan
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 am
Paul Jensen wrote
To Maxim: you were right -- I probably should release translation notes. :)

You really should! I didn't know her dialogue was meant to be "cutesy," so I just had to guess at her tone (I think I made it something simple like "You're doing wonderfully, keep up the good work!").
Dialogs Bug
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:08 pm
Hello everybody!
It made quite a while I posted here, but I found a bug in the translation (I downloaded the patch v0.91, running with Meka). I don't have the saved game here, but here is the problem:
I go to the airport to buy the passport after obtaining the Roadpass, but I don't have the 100 mesetas to obtain it. The character who delivers the passports should tell me I don't have enough money, but instead of that, I just have a bunch of unrelated text. Fortunately, it doesn't freeze the game.
I guess that it may be a pointer problem. I hope it will help :)
I'll notice you any other problem I will meet.
Re: Dialogs Bug
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:43 pm
Hroþgar SCRB wrote
Hello everybody!
It made quite a while I posted here, but I found a bug in the translation (I downloaded the patch v0.91, running with Meka). I don't have the saved game here, but here is the problem:
I go to the airport to buy the passport after obtaining the Roadpass, but I don't have the 100 mesetas to obtain it. The character who delivers the passports should tell me I don't have enough money, but instead of that, I just have a bunch of unrelated text. Fortunately, it doesn't freeze the game.
I guess that it may be a pointer problem. I hope it will help :)
I'll notice you any other problem I will meet.

Thank you! We found this problem too, and Maxim has fixed it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:16 pm
TheRedEye wrote
and Maxim has fixed it.

Have I? (I think it's still on my list...)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:54 am
Just wanted to inform everyone that the italian translation of the manual is complete.
I'm just going to read it one more time to make sure there are no major errors, and then I will submit it to Bock.

I would appreciate if some of the other italians on this community wants to read it to help me in the check for errors, since I never played the game maybe I translated some stuff in the wrong way.

Anyways, it's 99.89% done.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:55 pm
Maxim wrote
TheRedEye wrote
and Maxim has fixed it.

Have I? (I think it's still on my list...)

I am posting from the future!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:43 am
Alright I'm too lazy to read again the whole italian translation of the manual, so I may just post it here.
Bock, I tried to edit your html file keeping it inalterated where applicable. I broken a link anyway.

Oh, and I found an inconsistency in the original translation.
Were it talks about fighting monsters, the text says "In this case, indicates 3 monsters, each with a life force (HP) of 11.", but the pic is completely different:

There were other inconsistencies here and there, but I forgot to write them down.

Well, for now just enjoy the italian version. I still think someone should read it again since I never played Phantasy Star and I hope that I didn't mess it up. It's a translation done by hand anyway, I didn't use any translation tool, so it should be quite accurate.
Phantasy Star manual (translation from Japanese).rar (12.73 KB)
Italian translation for the manual

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:51 am
Heh, I was rather rushed with the manual and I didn't notice that mistake. It won't be too hard to fix.

I am still intending on making a JPEG or even *shock* PDF version of the manual in the original format, the HTML version is a way of "debugging" the text first.

I noticed you didn't translate the ALT text on the images (one of which says "Map of Plama"...) and the capitalisation of some of the planet names seemed inconsistent.

Of course, an Italian translation of the game would be even better...
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:55 pm
Maxim wrote
I noticed you didn't translate the ALT text on the images (one of which says "Map of Plama"...)
Not to mention "Title svreen". I thought to don't rename them so you can reuse the same exact image files (but now that I think about that, the alt text has nothing to do with actual image files; my fault, I can rename them if needed); also all the anchors should be the same, except one that has been replaced with a giant text <BOCK PLEASE FIX THIS> because I deleted that by mistake, when it says "go to page 13".

Maxim wrote
Of course, an Italian translation of the game would be even better...
Why not? I may happen to do this if it's not too hard.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:30 pm
Tom: You would not want to go further and translate the game into Italian if you haven't played it before, unless you want to do a poor job. Play the game. :)

Tom btw, I have nothing to do with those webpages, Maxim made them.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:35 pm
Bock wrote
Tom btw, I have nothing to do with those webpages, Maxim made them.
I see; it seems that I was misleaded as well...
I apologise to Maxim.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:45 am
Maxim, how hard would be to insert accents in the game?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 am
The Brazilian Portuguese translation is under way, with a limited range of accented characters.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:22 pm
Maxim wrote
The Brazilian Portuguese translation is under way, with a limited range of accented characters.

Nice! :-)
Raiser
Yet another bug...
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:57 pm
I hate to necropost, but I found another script error that should probably be fixed for any future releases:

If you try to use the Alsuline (medicine) anywhere other than standing directly in front of Tylon, you get this message:

"Alisa took out an
Alsuline.
He
that for your
safety."

I'd assume that the "Alisa took out the Alsuline" part is correct, but the other part's just a garbled mess. All in all though, this patch is everything I could have hoped for in a retranslation.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:03 am
There's a couple of script bugs still in need of work, unfortunately. I hope to make another release for the Phantasy Star 20th Anniversary (20 Dec).
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:29 pm
The Italian translation of the manual I made some time ago isn't uploaded yet ;_;
Da_GPer
Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:02 am
Before I describe the few problems I noticed on this retranslation, I do want to mention that I am extremely surprised by how wonderful of a job the translator who translated the game did. It opened up more on the story of Alisa and gives us American players a better idea of what happened. Good job! :D OK, now for what I have noticed. First, after you start the game, at the beginning storyline area, if you press pause, the music will do the switch to either FM or non FM and play the title screen song. Do anything else and the game will freeze. Also, I cant seem to save my game. I can choose to save and it appears to act like it saved but if I reset or power off, the save disappears. Using save states dont work either. Other then that, Im very happy with what I have seen so far. Keep up the good work! :D

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:19 am
Da_GPer wrote
First, after you start the game, at the beginning storyline area, if you press pause, the music will do the switch to either FM or non FM and play the title screen song. Do anything else and the game will freeze.

Hmm, I might need to debug that a bit more. Obviously, pressing Pause there is not expected :)

Also, I cant seem to save my game. I can choose to save and it appears to act like it saved but if I reset or power off, the save disappears. Using save states dont work either.

That sounds like a problem with your emulator; there's no reason for that not to work.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:43 am
Da_GPer wrote

Before I describe the few problems I noticed on this retranslation, I do want to mention that I am extremely surprised by how wonderful of a job the translator who translated the game did. It opened up more on the story of Alisa and gives us American players a better idea of what happened. Good job!

Thanks for the words of praise. The script translation was a two-step, two-person process: I did the "raw" translation from Japanese to English; and TheRedEye reworked the raw script into one that is more natural-sounding, and also more dramatic. TheRedEye took some creative liberties with the script, and it can't be taken as a literal translation (although it is still generally accurate). On the other hand, the original Japanese script is actually pretty bland (maybe because the developers didn't have enough ROM space for deeper dialogue?), so the creative additions by TheRedEye are A Good Thing.

Looking forward to the 20th Anniversary release. Anything you'd like me to do, Maxim?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
It might be a good time to do some retrospective description of the process, it might be interesting. I have a fair bit of work to do on an updated release, but I'm going to struggle to find the time... it might be interesting if we could translate some of the supporting material like a guide book, but we'd need good scans first.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:25 am
Paul Jensen wrote
On the other hand, the original Japanese script is actually pretty bland (maybe because the developers didn't have enough ROM space for deeper dialogue?), so the creative additions by TheRedEye are A Good Thing.

It's very nice to hear that, thank you! I have to give credit to Maxim for being able to squeeze TONS of room for extra dialog out of the ROM somehow, and I was able to use it to squeeze a bit more feeling into the script, without getting too wordy (I hope!).

As far as whether or not it's "accurate," well, I didn't leave anything OUT, so I'd say it's accurate in terms of pure information. I'm probably most guilty of taking liberties with Dr. Luveno's dialog, but I got the impression that he was meant to be a crazy scientist, so I punched up the humor. I also got a kick out of the dialog for when you say "yes" to the guy trying to sell Myau ("Really? Hey wait, where are you going?" fade to black, Alisa's back outside). Oh, and I also slipped a really sly reference to Casablanca when you buy the bootleg Road Pass (the bit about "two dead couriers"), but I felt justified. It made sense with the plot, didn't detract from the original intent, and added a bit of spice to the fact that you're buying black market goods.

I made Alisa a bit less fragile too. In my mind, she's just a little bit stubborn and crazy (and I had Suelo say so, since she's probably an old friend). She watched her brother die before her eyes, and her immediate reaction was to pick up his sword and vow to kill the EMPEROR OF THE GALAXY. You've got to be crazy and really tough to do something like that, so I tried to make that come across a bit in cutscenes, particularly when meeting...the generic axe dude (what was his name, Lutz?).

I have the player's guide, if anyone actually wants to scan the whole thing. And Maxim, I'm more than willing to go back into the script when you start fixing this up again. There are some little details that bug me when I play through it now, especially in the first couple towns; for most of the game I condensed dialog so that sentences were never cut off (I always hated pressing a button in the middle of a sentence and getting like, one more word). It's great for most of the game, but I failed to go back to the beginning and fix it up, which I'd really like to do someday. I'd also like to punch up the ending a bit, and maybe LaShiec's fight dialog, both of which I really struggled with.

I'm really proud of the way this project turned out, thanks again for the opportunity. It was fun!
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!