Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Suggestion: cheat searcher

Reply to topic
Suggestion: cheat searcher
Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:15 pm
I've noted few emulators have an option to allow search for cheats.

It would be nice if meka had an option like those.

Best Regards.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:53 pm
Meka's lack of a cheat UI is more of a problem - a cheat searcher would be the logical step after that. However, with such a small amount of RAM, it's probably easier to find cheats visually instead of using a dumb PAR-like searcher.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:10 pm
Yes, I agree... There's no problem at all as the RAM is pretty small.
Anyway, the most cheat's dialogs I saw allow to search for values in RAM and in ROM.

It's a valuable tool to find ROM addresses with a known value.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:13 pm
Ya, it does have a small amount of ram. But it could wind up taking me half an hour finding codes as opposed to a few minutes.Cause finding infinite lives requires me to save state just as im gonna die, then i watch the ram and die and look to see if something changes by 1. If nothing changes then I gotta scroll the ram viewer down and look at the next scrreen as I die. Meka is alot better at finding cheat codes than Fusion as is, but we need a greater than less than search thing. Mostly all I can find with Fusion is known values. If you can make a good cheat interface perhaps gamegear and master system can have codes that can compete with nes amount of codes a bit. And we could make codes that aint just Infinite energy/lives type codes.

I hope Meka will get cheat inputters and cheat searchers in the future.

--------------------------------------------
Original Game Enhancer codes
---------------------------------------------
http://www.thegshi.org
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 am
Years ago I created a bunch of PAR SMS codes that appeared on Richard Good's site. I'd love to be able to go through SMS games on MEKA and create cheats, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. From what iamstillhiro said, it looks like you can check values looking at the memory. Is there a cheat interface being worked on presently? Is there an easier way to create codes that I am missing?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:44 am
Open up the RAM viewer in Meka and see if you can find which byte relates to what you're trying to do. One way is to make a savestate just before an event - eg. losing a life - so you can replay the event over and over while you look for the address where a corresponding change (eg. value decreases by 1, value similar to number of lives) happens at the right time. You can type in new values to see if it will work. Then for address $1234 and value $56 (hex) the PAR code is 00123456.

I know a proper cheat UI would be good, but for me, the "live" view of the RAM viewer is an integral part to be able to determine which address is really the one you want. There is no cheat UI under development.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!