SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Japanese Text

Reply to topic
Mark Smith
Japanese Text
Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:23 pm

Can anyone out there tell me if the Japanese text option works with VGM Tool and the VGM plug-in for Winamp. I live in Japan and use a Japanese PC with Japanese Windows 98SE and Japanese DOS but why I try to type Japanese text using VGMTOOL is just turns the text into some unreadable mess. Then I thought it would be ok in the VGM plug in for winamp, but no. Still the same unreadable mess. Can anyone shed any light on to this problem?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:28 pm
> Can anyone out there tell me if the Japanese text option works with VGM Tool and the VGM plug-in for Winamp. I live in Japan and use a Japanese PC with Japanese Windows 98SE and Japanese DOS but why I try to type Japanese text using VGMTOOL is just turns the text into some unreadable mess. Then I thought it would be ok in the VGM plug in for winamp, but no. Still the same unreadable mess. Can anyone shed any light on to this problem?

The file is just a storage area, so there's no problem with it. We defined the Japanese fields as being in Unicode format.
My guess is that one or both of the tools have incorrect interfaces to let user input Unicode text (VGM Tool), or display it (VGM Plugin). You can't blame Maxim for that, it's untested and obviously wasn't a priority.

You can get the Japanese Unicode Charts at http://www.unicode.org/charts. I'll try to fill a Japanese field manually (by Hexediting the file) and will see how it shows with VGM Plugin.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:18 pm
> I live in Japan and use a Japanese PC with Japanese Windows 98SE and Japanese DOS but why I try to type Japanese text using VGMTOOL is just turns the text into some unreadable mess.

As Bock said, I have no way of testing that since both are developed on vanilla English Win98. All I could test was that ASCII passes through the Unicode conversion unscathed. It uses Windows' exported Unicode functions for the conversion, but they're poorly documented and I just used the first implementation that worked (several just produced garbage). I might try something different in the possibly-happening C conversion, since that can more easily use the C-style string conversion routines, possibly even without relying on Windows. I also have the possibility of entering MBCS text on this computer for some testing, although I can't actually read it...

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!