Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star Retranslation WIP

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:18 pm
"Ltd.", "Plc.", "Inc.", "GmbH" etc are all specific to certain countries, where 株式会社 is the Japanese equivalent of some of them. I chose "Inc." fairly arbitrarily.
Progress
Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:59 pm
Hi everyone,

Times have been really busy lately, so I have had little time (read: no time) to work on the translation. I guess I'm just posting to keep myself motivated to work on it, and to keep the thread high up in the list. ;)

To TheRedEye: How's the editing going?

Paul
Re: Progress
Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:25 am
Just figured I'd bump this topic up.
Re: Progress
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:32 pm
Paul Jensen wrote
Hi everyone,

Times have been really busy lately, so I have had little time (read: no time) to work on the translation. I guess I'm just posting to keep myself motivated to work on it, and to keep the thread high up in the list. ;)

To TheRedEye: How's the editing going?

Paul

It's going so-so, I haven't looked at it in a while. What work do you have left to do? I thought everybody was waiting for me.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:34 pm
Item and spell names are still to be finalised/translated. But yeah, we're waiting on you :P
Kein
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:55 am
When you will relise the translation?
I like new font, maybe you can make OLD version with new font?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 am
We will release the retranslation when it is finished. There is a possibility for bug-testers to get hold of it earlier, though, but only if they are serious about finding bugs. We won't insert the font into the old version, what would be the point?
DumbQuestion - Versions of Phantasy Star
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:57 am
Sorry for coming in late. I've never played the game. Why is the Jap version so appealing when there already an english version out? (I know I could read this from page one but I don't have much time these days being a new Dad.)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:11 am
The original translation was a bit nasty (CAPITALISED TEXT, script changes for no good reason) and some people want to play it the way it was designed. Plus, it's good to play in English with FM music. As far as I know, the gameplay wasn't changed between versions (I could compare stat tables if anyone really needs that to be confirmed).
Kein
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:27 pm
Maxim, thanks for answer.
I am from another country, i need this font for my translation. I dont like first English version too.
When you done translation, can i translate your version?

Translation update
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
This is mostly for TheRedEye, just in case he didn't see it in the Main forum: the item name that I had translated as Perolimate should in fact be PelorieMate ("Pelorie" has stress on the first syllable, like the word "Calorie").
Re: Translation update
Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:00 pm
Paul Jensen wrote
This is mostly for TheRedEye, just in case he didn't see it in the Main forum: the item name that I had translated as Perolimate should in fact be PelorieMate ("Pelorie" has stress on the first syllable, like the word "Calorie").

And why were Sega's translators too stupid to get it right in PSIV?

What happened to actually hiring *gasp* qualified people?
  • Site Admin
Re: Translation update
Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:43 pm
jj_frap wrote
And why were Sega's translators too stupid to get it right in PSIV?

What happened to actually hiring *gasp* qualified people?

What's wrong with the translation in PS4?
As long as I'm posting in other threads...
Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:52 am
Any progress?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 am
I keep meaning to email TheRedEye about it, when I'm at home and have his email address handy... as far as I know, we're just waiting for him to finish his editing work. I'd also like to work more on the translated manual and box, but I had nightmarish problems getting my *cough* copy of Adobe Illustartor to work at all, so I may end up going back to my ancient 16-bit CorelDRAW! 3...
Re: Instruction manual (tenatively) translated (plus spell name theories)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:21 pm
Paul Jensen wrote
Hi everyone,

I just finished a translating the instruction manual. IMO, most of it is fine as is, but some parts might need some revision.

Some notes:
1. I use "tentative" because a lot of the names of items, spells, and things used in the manual don't match up with the translation in its current state. These might need to be changed according to the names in the ROM, or vice versa.
2. I plan to use the gender-neutral "they" for the third-person pronoun instead of "he or she". While a lot of people consider "they" to be gramatically incorrect, it's a lot less awkward than using "he or she". Plus, I have a degree in Linguistics, so I can assert authority here. ;)

Things to do:
1. Create a mockup of the manual's layout, so that whoever creates the final version will know where all the text is supposed to go. Also, people interested in revising the text -- or simply reading the manual -- will get the context of the manual in addition to the text itself.
2. Replace the screenshots in the manual with screenshots from the retranslated ROM.
3. Other miscellaneous stuff that I can't think of right now.

I hope to have the mockup done by this weekend. As for the rest, I suppose we'll have to wait until the ROM is ready.

Also, I have a few theories about some of the spell names in the game:
1. "Doheal" might mean something like 'super heal'. In Japanse, "do" is sort of a slang prefix for 'extreme, ultra, etc.'. Compare "aho" (roughly, 'jerk') with "do-aho" ('super jerk'). I don't think it's 'double heal', because "double" in Japanese is usually "daburu" (i.e. the vowel in the first syllable is /a/ as in "father", not /o/ as in "open".).
2. "Mu", used in "Muwalla" and "Muoode", seems to be a prefix meaning 'magic'. Compare "Walla", which creates a barrier against physical attacks, with "Muwalla", which creates a barrier that also protects against magical attacks. "Mu" doesn't seem to be actual Japanese, but is probably part of a "mini-language" created for the game.
3. "Muoode" might mean something like 'spread one's arms, with magical abilities' (no kidding). Assuming that "mu" is just a prefix, the word "oode" can mean 'to open one's arms wide'. So, picture Lutz opening a magically-sealed door by dramatically spreading his arms apart to get an idea of what I mean here.
4. "Hewn" (actually, "hyuu", but close enough) is the sound of gusting wind.
5. "Tandle" might be better read "Tandoray" (which I personally don't like, but...)
6. "Rakusuta" might mean something like 'easy escape'. "Raku" means 'comfort, ease', and "sutasuta" is sound-symbolic for 'quickly running'.
7. "Raputto" is probably something like "Rapt". The spell detects and disarms traps; "trap" in Japanese is "torappu". Therefore, "raputto" is simply "torappu" all jumbled up. The double consonant is even in the same place. The spell basically "messes up" traps, so the name of the spell makes sense if you think about it.
8. "Peyaraku" might be a play on the words "perapera" ('fluent') and "yaku" ('translation'), created by taking the word "perayaku" ('fluent/perfect translation') and switching the second and third syllables. Similar to "Rapt", this also makes sense if you consider that the spell allows you to talk to certain monsters. Also, since the name of the spell isn't a perfect rendering of "peyaraku", it makes sense that the spell doesn't work on all monsters. But maybe I'm looking too much into it. :)
9. I still don't quite know what to make of "Toruupa". :)

I don't think it'll be possible to incorporate the above into the game, so unless somebody can come up with some good ideas, we might just want to include a list of translation notes with the ROM and manual.

-- Paul

Well, for peyaraku, the English version of that would be flutransentlation. Bwahahaha. Sad, but true.

Toruupa....what is it in the game? What's it do?

Why can't Tairone simply be Tyrone? Pretty common name. Not for a white blond guy, but whatever. ;)

Digging the Mu=lost continent correlation. Makes a whole lot of sense.

Of course this thread is 100 years old now, so my posting may not be relevant at all. So, any news on this?

-Rob
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:07 pm
I really need to kick TheRedEye to finish his script editing.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:20 am

Well, for peyaraku, the English version of that would be flutransentlation. Bwahahaha. Sad, but true.

Heh. That's a good name, actually. I wonder if that would fit in the menu...?

Toruupa....what is it in the game? What's it do?

In the original English translation, it's called 'Fly'. Casting toruupa teleports you back to the last church you visited. I still don't know whether the name of this spell is a play on words.

Why can't Tairone simply be Tyrone? Pretty common name. Not for a white blond guy, but whatever. ;)

It's probably Tylon. There's a book called the Phantasy Star Compendium (translated some years ago by Rebecca Capowski), which as far as I know was put out by Sega. There's a picture of Tylon/Tyrone/Odin in there, captioned 'Tylon'. Since there's no distinction between 'R' and 'L' in Japanese, though, a ot of confusion arises when some words get Romanized (think back to games from the eighties that said CONGRADURATION on the ending screen). We can't tell for sure whether "tairon" is meant to be 'tyron' or 'tylon'. It's probably not 'Tyrone', not just because he's a white guy, but because the word "tairon" has emphasis on the first syllable, similar to 'Tylon', contrasted with 'Tyrone', which has empahsis on the second syllable. Intuitively, "tairon" and 'Tylon' simply sound more alike than "tairon" and 'Tyrone'. Plus, the fact that an official Sega book about Phantasy Star has his name listed as 'Tylon' is good enough for me.

Digging the Mu=lost continent correlation. Makes a whole lot of sense.

Lost continent?

By the way, has anybody seen or played this version of Phantasy Star? I wonder if it's any different from the original version, aside from consmetic improvements.
gc
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:40 am
According to the page's text, there's a deluxe version for the FOMA900 series of phones (the screenshots were all taken from the deluxe version), which incorporates improvements such as automapping in dungeons and multiple save slots.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:48 am
Maxim wrote
The original translation was a bit nasty (CAPITALISED TEXT, script changes for no good reason) and some people want to play it the way it was designed. Plus, it's good to play in English with FM music.

If this is a _RE_translation where can we get the original patch that was made at first??
Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:01 am
you mean the one released in 88 (or something?) by sega? try here.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 am
This is a retranslation because Sega's translation, released in 1988, was the original translation.

Stay tuned, we should have a beta ready in about a month, and beta testers are needed.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:58 pm
fx wrote
you mean the one released in 88 (or something?) by sega? try here.

Thanks fx. Your extraordinary help was very appreciated.

Maxim wrote
This is a retranslation because Sega's translation, released in 1988, was the original translation.

Just thought that the original translation was made by another group, not by Sega. This clears the question. Thanks Maxim.

Maxim wrote
Stay tuned, we should have a beta ready in about a month, and beta testers are needed.

We're all waiting! Congrats for the great work done until here.
  • Site Admin
Box translation, attempt 2
Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:18 pm
I had a go at laying out the box text in Illustrator (after photoshopping), I think it helps a lot. High quality JPEGs attached.
Front.jpg (444.11 KB)
Phantasy Star retranslation box front
Front.jpg
Back.jpg (362.8 KB)
Phantasy Star retranslation box back
Back.jpg

• Site Admin
Actual hacking WIP
Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 pm
I also hacked in a PSG/FM toggle function (press Pause on the title screen), and fixed up a few things you never knew were bugs anyway. I still have more bugs to look into...
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!