SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Meka and FC5

Reply to topic
Meka and FC5
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:17 pm
I built meka under FC5.

I had already have installed allegro 4.2.0 and nasm (from the Fedora Extras repository) and I rebuilt an src.rpm found on rpmforge to get seal 1.07.

I had to edit sound/sound.h and the Makefile to use seal "debian-style".

I also had to edit the Makefile to link allegro libraries in the following way:

LIB_ALLEG = `allegro-config --libs`

otherwise I had a linking error.

With this setup I had a successful build to play with :-)

First of all, I cannot have sound. If I choose 1. Linux Voxware at meka startup, I get a core dumped.

Playing with gdb backtrace, I get the following output:

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x080f8430 in UpdateVoices ()
#1  0x080f854b in UpdateAudio ()
#2  0x080f6ede in AUpdateAudio ()
#3  0x080b7968 in Sound_Init_SoundCard () at sound/sound.c:228
#4  0x080b75bb in Sound_Init () at sound/sound.c:104
#5  0x0805c7b7 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfd7dd94) at meka.c:396

I don't really know what is the problem with AUpdateAudio (). If I comment this call I'll get the same error next time this function is called.

Any help with this is really appreciated.

If I choose 0. Silence at startup, I am able to run meka, and to play games ("wonderboy in monsterland" run just fine).

There is a thing I do not like very much with meka under linux. All data files and config files must be in the same directory where the main executable is. Even if this is common practice under Windows, it is not really Linux friendly.

In "modern" Linux distros, usually you would have /usr/share/make as data directory, /usr/share/doc/meka-version as doc directory, ~/.meka as config and personal directory (eg for screenshots), and so on.

Maybe all there is to do is to edit file.c. I need to investigate this.

Bye,

Andrea.
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 am
I have not been able to even get any software to install GLib and Meka on my FC5 box.

Its really annoying me Linux.

Its just a HDD that sits there in my case that only ever gets used once in a while.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:27 am
musuruan wrote
I also had to edit the Makefile to link allegro libraries in the following way:
LIB_ALLEG = `allegro-config --libs`

You're right, I'll switch to using allegro-config in the Makefile.

I think there's an overflow in the sound code due to timer based buffer filling and no clamp in buffer boundaries, that may be code of the crash.
Sound doesn't work well anyway, that's a fact. Until we switch to another output library and clean/improve sound code it'll be this way.

There is a thing I do not like very much with meka under linux. All data files and config files must be in the same directory where the main executable is. Even if this is common practice under Windows, it is not really Linux friendly.

I'm not going to do any work in this direction, IHMO it is useless now. MEKA is about one megabyte. It would requires changing file.c (faisable) but also require to provide a proper installation system/package. If someone wants to do that feels free to.
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:35 am
I'm not going to do any work in this direction, IHMO it is useless now. MEKA is about one megabyte. It would requires changing file.c (faisable) but also require to provide a proper installation system/package. If someone wants to do that feels free to.

Actually I pointed at this problem because I was going to make an RPM of Meka for FC5. It should be not difficult at all. I already made RPMs of other emulators for my personal use. Maybe in the near feature I'll publish them somewere.

Bye,

Andrea.
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:18 pm
That would be good.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!