Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - HERE'S yer stinking' Tetris. (SMS)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
HERE'S yer stinking' Tetris. (SMS)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 6:33 am
It took me over a week, but I have gotten far enough on this tetris to deem it playable and worth releasing, primative though it is.

It runs on brsms and meka 4.0 (the latter took some work), and I don't see why it would run on other emulators, or even a real SMS with a copier (not to take us down THAT road again)... but who knows?

It's still missing a mess of things: scoring, title screen, sound of any kind, presentation, difficult changes, all but the barest graphics, next block, goodies...

But it does do the obvious: shapes rotation and fall, blocks stack, full lines disapear, the puzzle compacts, and it is possible to lose (which just triggers a reset)

instructions: you know the deal. buttons turn, left and right move right and left, but not in that order. down speeds the shape on its way. pause works as advertised. reset has the expected consequences.

i'll wait on releasing the source code until I can clean it up, add comments, take out old code and misleading (outdated) comments, fix a few things I'm not proud of, etc., maybe add a feature or two. Give it a couple days...

Tetris on the sms does present a small challenges.. there isn't enough time in the VBlank to redraw the puzzle, so it has to be done over the course of multiple frame. My current method of just drawing one row per frame after a compaction is a bit ugly. Actually, there's no reason why I couldn't draw several at once... not that I'd generally need to draw as many rows as I do.

Well, one thing at a time.

Hey, I'd say this is a bit of a milestone: I think this is the first homebrewn game released for the sms, if still in alpha stage.

That's pretty darned cool! *nt*
Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:26 pm
Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 10:00 pm
Nice job Heliophobe!

> It runs on brsms and meka 4.0 (the latter took some work),

Meka 0.40 ;-)
What was the "problem" exactly? Something like not polling VDP status and that kept interrupts enabled, or something else?

>and I don't see why it would run on other emulators, or even a real SMS with a copier (not to take us down THAT road again)... but who knows?

Actually I had an idea to run code on a real SMS, but it would be limited to 16 kb. Must investigate thought..

> i'll wait on releasing the source code until I can clean it up, add comments, take out old code and misleading (outdated) comments, fix a few things I'm not proud of, etc., maybe add a feature or two. Give it a couple days...

I suggest releasing it in it's current state could be good too. You never know what thing you may remove, might help strange kinds of coders and other eager to learn.

> Hey, I'd say this is a bit of a milestone: I think this is the first homebrewn game released for the sms, if still in alpha stage.

Right. My demo was the first demo, then :)
Congratulation anyway!
Chris
Oh my Gosh!!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 2:13 am
I don't believe it! Tetris on the SMS!! You can rotate and do all of that cool stuff!! You've given me MAD inspiration to give this SMS programming a try sometime! You've completely blown my tetris clone out the water and mine's on the PC! Anyway, I give you MAD kudos, 10 cool points times 20, and a ASCII smile :o)

Chris :o)

• Site Admin
Source Code release
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:18 pm
Okay, the source code, cartridge file, and readme are all available in the same directory as before.

Have at you!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 pm
> Nice job Heliophobe!

Garsh, thanks!

> > It runs on brsms and meka 4.0 (the latter took some work),

> Meka 0.40 ;-)
uh, yeah...

> What was the "problem" exactly? Something like not polling VDP status and that kept interrupts enabled, or something else?

Initially that, and also, I hadn't set a couple of the VDP registers that would put the sms into SMS mode (mode 5). Brsms sets the mode as default, whereas meka seems to use the absence of the mode switch as a clue to run in sg-1000 mode.

> Actually I had an idea to run code on a real SMS, but it would be limited to 16 kb. Must investigate thought..

my tetris probably fits neatly into the first 2k, and definately doesn't use the second bank for anything.
I'd love to at least be able to run a 16k program on a real sms, to see if it has any odd behaviors we don't know about yet.

> I suggest releasing it in it's current state could be good too. You never know what thing you may remove, might help strange kinds of coders and other eager to learn.

Didn't take out as much as I had thought.
It's up now, anyway.

> Right. My demo was the first demo, then :)

that it was!
Eric
Re: Source Code release
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:32 pm
> Okay, the source code, cartridge file, and readme are all available in the same directory as before.

> Have at you!

I'll place a copy of this file in S8-Dev Source Code area later today.

Eric Quinn

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:30 pm
> Initially that, and also, I hadn't set a couple of the VDP registers that would put the sms into SMS mode (mode 5). Brsms sets the mode as default, whereas meka seems to use the absence of the mode switch as a clue to run in sg-1000 mode.

There is no "absence" of video mode. You simply did set the VDP to a video mode other than 5. Four bits (2 in reg 0, 2 in reg 1)are affecting the mode I believe.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 9:05 pm

> There is no "absence" of video mode. You simply did set the VDP to a video mode other than 5. Four bits (2 in reg 0, 2 in reg 1)are affecting the mode I believe.

ya, s'whatti mean. the code (in my program) to switch modes was absent.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 8:09 am
>> There is no "absence" of video mode. You simply did set the VDP to a video mode other than 5. Four bits (2 in reg 0, 2 in reg 1)are affecting the mode I believe.
> ya, s'whatti mean. the code (in my program) to switch modes was absent.

Then I can assume the real problem is not with Meka but BrSMS ;)
H-Clone
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 10:57 am
> Actually I had an idea to run code on a real SMS, but it would be limited to 16 kb. Must investigate thought..

16Kb limit... are you talking some kind of re-writable card? If I remember the day I SMS-Fixed my entire rom library, then the old card games were all 16Kb.

If I don't, then I'm talking thoroughly out of my depth in a room full of professionals. Time to start bluffing.

H-Clone

Running code on real SMS
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 12:29 pm
> 16Kb limit... are you talking some kind of re-writable card?

Kind of. I must investigate :)

> If I remember the day I SMS-Fixed my entire rom library, then the old card games were all 16Kb.

They are 32 kb at my knowledge. Most of the earlier SG-1000 games are 8 or 16 kb, thought.
H-Clone
Re: Running code on real SMS
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 1:51 pm
> > 16Kb limit... are you talking some kind of re-writable card?
> Kind of. I must investigate :)

Now this I like the sound of. Lucky my SMS1 is still going.

> > If I remember the day I SMS-Fixed my entire rom library, then the old card games were all 16Kb.
> They are 32 kb at my knowledge. Most of the earlier SG-1000 games are 8 or 16 kb, thought.

Yeah, you're right, I checked as soon as I got back from college. Oh well, close.

H-Clone

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 2:51 pm
> >> There is no "absence" of video mode. You simply did set the VDP to a video mode other than 5. Four bits (2 in reg 0, 2 in reg 1)are affecting the mode I believe.
> > ya, s'whatti mean. the code (in my program) to switch modes was absent.

> Then I can assume the real problem is not with Meka but BrSMS ;)

If we ever find a way to run our code on a real sms (maybe that 16kb thing you're thinking about) then we'll know for sure.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:35 pm
> If we ever find a way to run our code on a real sms (maybe that 16kb thing you're thinking about) then we'll know for sure.

I'm 100% sure on this point.
SMS is backward compatible with the older modes anyway.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!