SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - A note on transcription of japanese titles

Reply to topic
clem
A note on transcription of japanese titles
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:40 am
on http://www.smspower.org/db/champion_kendou-sg-jp.shtml and on the front page you transcribe the name as "kendou" (since that's the way it'd be written in hiragana), but using diacritcs ("kendô" or more preferably "kendō") or just vowel doubling ("kendoo") it'd be phonetically more accurate

(I still guess your japanese is better than mine though, heh)

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization#Variations

bye,
clem

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43 am
You are right.
I shall consider switching to ô or ō (don't know how to type the macro, it's pasted) for my romanization. I'll address that later.

Variations

Variations of the Hepburn system indicate the long vowels ō and ū as follows:

* Tōkyō: indicated with macrons. This follows the rules of the traditional and revised Hepburn systems, and is considered to be standard.
* Tokyo: not indicated at all. This is common for Japanese words that have been adopted into English. This is also the convention used in the de facto Hepburn used in signs and other English-language information around Japan, mentioned in the paragraph on legal status.
* Tôkyô: indicated with circumflexes. Circumflexes are how long vowels are indicated by the alternative Nihon-shiki and Kunrei-shiki romanizations. Circumflexes are often used when a word processor does not allow macrons. With the spread of Unicode, this is becoming rare.
* Tohkyoh: indicated with an "h". This is sometimes known as "passport Hepburn", as the Japanese Foreign Ministry has authorized (but not required) this usage in passports. [1]
* Toukyou: written using kana spelling: ō as ou or oo (depending on the kana) and ū as uu. This is sometimes called wāpuro style, as this is how text is entered into a Japanese word processor (wādo purosessā) using a keyboard with Roman characters. This is not recognized as standard and is almost exclusively found in amateur romanization. Nevertheless, this method most accurately represents the way that vowels are written in kana, differentiating between おう (as in とうきょう (東京), written Toukyou in this system) and おお (as in とおい (遠い), written tooi in this system).
* Tookyoo: written by doubling the long vowels. This follows the rules of the modified Hepburn system, but is also common when writing words of foreign origin without reference to any particular system, i.e. paatii for パーティー ("party") instead of pātī. This is also used in the JSL form of romanization.

Some linguists object to Hepburn, as the pronunciation-based spellings can obscure the systematic origins of Japanese phonetic structures, inflections, and conjugations. Supporters argue that Hepburn is not intended as a linguistic tool.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:19 am
I've spent a lot of time typing in Hànyǔ Pīnyīn and it's a nightmare; in Word you can set up keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+-, O for ō (look in the Symbol dialog), but you have to set them up separately for all characters. For it to work in all programs, it would require some funky keyboard macro software that I'm not bothered to mess with; AutoHotkey is a scriptable hotkey program that I'd probably look at first.
clem
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:28 pm
for longer texts the safest way is probably to write "ô" throughout, then at the end do a global search and replace for "ô" to "ō" - just make sure you do it case-sensitive

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!