SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Update: SNAIL.ASM

Reply to topic
Eric
Update: SNAIL.ASM
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 5:27 am
I placed an updated version of SNAIL.ASM in the source code area of S8-Dev.

The update improves compatiblity with Zoop's emulator, Meka. The previous version ran too fast on Meka. At Zoop's suggestion I placed a VDP Status Register read at the beginnging of the interrupt handler, which fixed the speed problem. It should be also noted that the values used for each note's frequency are incorrect. They are based on an incorrect frequency base of 125KHz, (4MHz/32) rather than the correct value of 111.86KHz (3.579545MHz/32). Additionally, I believe the scale was calculated using a simple formula of multiplying the base frequency (A = 440Hz) repeatedly by the twelfth root of 2 (2^(1/12)) rather than using a table of the modern scale frequencies (which has deviated from the "pure" mathematical formula of simply multiplying each note by a constant multiplier.) You musicians/physics-gurus out there should know what I'm talking about. I'll update the note frequencies in a future version (once I find a reliable frequency table).

Have fun.

Eric Quinn

Did you know......
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 2:36 pm
... that a C# (C-Sharp in any octave) has a different frequency to a Db (D-Flat in the same octave) when generated by a tone-generator..... even though they are both the same note, played in the same place on the keyboard & everything.....
Weird, huh?

Anyways...... good work, Eric :)

~unfnknblvbl
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!