Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - ROM swapping update

Reply to topic
ROM swapping update
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 1:00 pm
Well, the only Alex Kidd sized cartridge I have posession of to try this with is Action Fighter.... and the ROM chips are identical in size :)
Now as soon as I can get my hands on a Soldering Iron, I can try this out :)

Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

~unfnknblvbl
Another question.....
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 3:29 pm
> Well, the only Alex Kidd sized cartridge I have posession of to try this with is Action Fighter.... and the ROM chips are identical in size :)
> Now as soon as I can get my hands on a Soldering Iron, I can try this out :)

> Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

> Thanks :)

> ~unfnknblvbl

Seeing as I'm only doing this to play Alex Kidd on my Gamegear, is it possible to solder the Alex Kidd ROM onto a GG cart?

~unfnknblvbl
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 3:58 pm
> Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

No. the BIOS is needed to tell the hardware to "initialize" the cartridge.
Re: Another question.....
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 4:00 pm
If you are doing it *only* to play Alex Kidd on a Game Gear, you'd better get a Master Gear adapter, you know :)
darn *nt*
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 4:01 pm
> > Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

> No. the BIOS is needed to tell the hardware to "initialize" the cartridge.
Can I make one myself? They're pretty rare around here *nt*
Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2000 4:03 pm
> If you are doing it *only* to play Alex Kidd on a Game Gear, you'd better get a Master Gear adapter, you know :)
Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2000 11:02 am
> > Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

> No. the BIOS is needed to tell the hardware to "initialize" the cartridge.

i believe the earlyer sms2's (ones with a grey/blue upper case and white pause button) either had no sega logo, or if they had one it was significantly shorter duration. i cant prove any of this tho, im relying on my memory (i havent seen another one of those models since i sold my original years ago). while im at it, i havent seen an original model sms for the last decade ;(

i want to grab RGB from the AV out port! (not vga rgb so dont try it)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2000 3:02 pm
> > > Also while I'm at it, it is it at all possible to remove the BIOS chip from the SMS to remove that annoyingly long SEGA logo?

> > No. the BIOS is needed to tell the hardware to "initialize" the cartridge.

> i believe the earlyer sms2's (ones with a grey/blue upper case and white pause button) either had no sega logo, or if they had one it was significantly shorter duration. i cant prove any of this tho, im relying on my memory (i havent seen another one of those models since i sold my original years ago). while im at it, i havent seen an original model sms for the last decade ;(

> i want to grab RGB from the AV out port! (not vga rgb so dont try it)

Wouldn't you believe it? I wanted the blue one, but my mother got a black one instead, because she thought it looked nicer.... the bitch. (Yes, I have issues :)

Try the Second hand shops for a SMS1....

~unfnknblvbl
Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2000 6:51 am
> i believe the earlyer sms2's (ones with a grey/blue upper case and white pause button) either had no sega logo, or if they had one it was significantly shorter duration. i cant prove any of this tho, im relying on my memory (i havent seen another one of those models since i sold my original years ago). while im at it, i havent seen an original model sms for the last decade ;(

Yes it does. The SMS2 show an ugly Sega logo for like two seconds, and that's all.
Johannes Holmberg
Master System 1/2 bios stuff
Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2000 11:19 am
> > i believe the earlyer sms2's (ones with a grey/blue upper case and white pause button) either had no sega logo, or if they had one it was significantly shorter duration. i cant prove any of this tho, im relying on my memory (i havent seen another one of those models since i sold my original years ago). while im at it, i havent seen an original model sms for the last decade ;(

> Yes it does. The SMS2 show an ugly Sega logo for like two seconds, and that's all.

SMS2 is the new model, the one lacking the reset button, right?
I have two Master Systems, they're both the old model, but one has the ugly sega logo and Alex Kidd built in,
and the other one has the classic logo and the snail game...

Hey....... I was serious! *nt*
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 11:39 am
> > If you are doing it *only* to play Alex Kidd on a Game Gear, you'd better get a Master Gear adapter, you know :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!