Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega CD/Genesis question...

Reply to topic
Sega CD/Genesis question...
Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 1999 8:00 pm
This just popped into my head during my long walk home today...

Wouldn't it be possible to put Genesis ROMs onto a CD, program a menu and run them in a Sega CD unit? It uses the same hardware right?

And I believe (and I never owned a Sega CD so don't quote me on this) that a RAM cartridge was made for the Sega CD. Would it be possible to save games onto there as opposed to the internal battery in the cartrdiges?

If anyone gets serious about starting a project like this...I really don't have much to offer but I do have a Sega Classics Arcade Collection disk that might help. I'm pretty sure it just uses the original Genesis ROMs.
Nyef
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 1999 1:08 am
> Wouldn't it be possible to put Genesis ROMs onto a CD, program a menu and run them in a Sega CD unit? It uses the same hardware right?

Not enough system RAM. Sorry, it's been discussed before (elsewhere). To do anything but the simplest games you'd need extra memory.

> And I believe (and I never owned a Sega CD so don't quote me on this) that a RAM cartridge was made for the Sega CD. Would it be possible to save games onto there as opposed to the internal battery in the cartrdiges?

Yes, there was a backup RAM cart made. It was used to supplement the savegame RAM in the SegaCD unit proper. Since you already have the RAM in the SegaCD, though, why not free up the cart slot for something more important? (like the several megs of normal RAM you'll need)

--Nyef

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 1999 5:26 am

> Wouldn't it be possible to put Genesis ROMs onto a CD, program a menu and run them in a Sega CD unit? It uses the same hardware right?

Sorta. You have 512k of RAM on the Sega CD, but you can only
access 128k of that on the Genesis side; so smaller games
might work.

> And I believe (and I never owned a Sega CD so don't quote me on this) that a RAM cartridge was made for the Sega CD. Would it be possible to save games onto there as opposed to the internal battery in the cartrdiges?

The battery backed RAM on the Sega CD is accessed in a different
way from how cart games handle it. You could theoretically
modify a cart game to accomodate this.

> If anyone gets serious about starting a project like this...I really don't have much to offer but I do have a Sega Classics Arcade Collection disk that might help. I'm pretty sure it just uses the original Genesis ROMs.

More or less; Columns is 99% identical to the cartridge version,
the remaining games are modified to work with the limited
RAM, and use the CD/PCM sound features of the Sega CD.

Dunno if you've ever noticed, but the Arcade Classics disc also
has Monaco G.P. on it (or whatever it's called, some racing
game), but you can't access it in the game select menu.
Maybe there's a code or something...
wow the Sega CD sucked! *NT*
Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 1999 4:19 pm
just kidding by the way...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!