SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Web Browser for SG1000

Reply to topic
Ricardo Bittencourt
Web Browser for SG1000
Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 1999 3:47 pm

Download it now from the BrSMS home page.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 5:27 am
>
> Download it now from the BrSMS home page.

heheh..
That -is- interesting. Although I'm not sure how useful it is, it is cool.

Any reason why it generates .sg and not .sms roms?
Naflign
That is so cool!
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 8:56 am
Wow, what an amazing program! It's just too fun, thanks for making it!

>
> Download it now from the BrSMS home page.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 10:56 am
> > Download it now from the BrSMS home page.
> heheh..
> That -is- interesting. Although I'm not sure how useful it is, it is cool.
> Any reason why it generates .sg and not .sms roms?

For technical reasons, such a program is almost impossible to do on the Master System : there is not enough memory to store a whole screen with different tiles. While it is faisable on the SG-1000/SC-3000, although the colors are crap ;)
Comments/suggestions
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 11:55 am
Nice job!
It's very well done.
I hardly found a page that would fit under the 16 kb limit, so made a few to try, and most of them looks good, just like the BrMSX/SMS homepage ones.

Was it first developed for the MSX then ported to the SG-1000, or it is brand new code dedicated to this system? (judging by the date on the doc and the BrSMS/MSX homepages it is an old sleeping project, I am right?)

What about releasing the source code? At least of the SG-1000 side, the PC side is half interesting but would help to improve the same program.

About that silly graphic bug (on line 8 i think). Did you worked on it? I mean, it is a weird little bug you cannot find (or didn't try to), or something you know about but which would be hard to fix because of the VRAM limitations?

About the lack of space.. considering the SMS is video backward compatible with the SG-1000, we have virtually up 4 megabyte usable as long as we (or you) can find a way to handle the bankswitching in the program.

About "you need a SG-1000", "burn it into an eprom", ..
Do you have a SG-1000? Did you actually had the chance to test real code on the system?

PS: What in the first bank is considering as being the header and that you plan to keep the same at the same location in future version?
"Ricardo Bittencourt" "BrSMS rulez" ?
Ricardo Bittencourt
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 12:02 pm
> > Any reason why it generates .sg and not .sms roms?

> For technical reasons, such a program is almost impossible to do on the Master System : there is not enough memory to store a whole screen with different tiles. While it is faisable on the SG-1000/SC-3000, although the colors are crap ;)

Almost impossible is not impossible.
You CAN do it using dynamic tiling, but it would be indeed a lot of work.

Ricardo Bittencourt

Ricardo Bittencourt
Re: Comments/suggestions
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 12:16 pm
> Was it first developed for the MSX then ported to the SG-1000, or it is brand new code dedicated to this system? (judging by the date on the doc and the BrSMS/MSX homepages it is an old sleeping project, I am right?)

I made the code originally for the MSX-1. I was working on two ports, one to SG1000 and other to
MSX-2, fortunately (for you) the SG1000 got finished first.

> What about releasing the source code? At least of the SG-1000 side, the PC side is half interesting but would help to improve the same program.

Actually there's no way to understand to SG1000 side without looking in the PC side.There's lots of
encoding and compressing done by WISE. FudeBrowser does not make any HTML processing.
At least for now the source will not be released. FudeBrowser for MSX-2 is a commercial product. (US$12)
But I still think debugging sessions are damn fun !!

> About that silly graphic bug (on line 8 i think). Did you worked on it? I mean, it is a weird little bug you cannot find (or didn't try to), or something you know about but which would be hard to fix because of the VRAM limitations?

Do you mean the two crappy scroll lines ?
I can't get rid of it with only 8kb of RAM. The MSX version does not have this bug,
since this machine has 64kb of memory. It was actually a challenge to make
a 64kb-program fit in 8kb !!!

> About the lack of space.. considering the SMS is video backward compatible with the SG-1000, we have virtually up 4 megabyte usable as long as we (or you) can find a way to handle the bankswitching in the program.

I'm not sure if the original SG1000 has the banking registers, and I'm also not sure if the
Master System has the four video modes of SG1000. I could make a version with more than 16kb,
but the project was meant to run on real machines, and not in emulators. That's
why the code has lots of EX (SP),HL to ensure the sync between CPU and video.
BrSMS supports the mapping registers in SG1000 mode, so a larger version of FudeBrowser
would work fine on it.

> About "you need a SG-1000", "burn it into an eprom", ..
> Do you have a SG-1000? Did you actually had the chance to test real code on the system?

Although I don't have an SG1000, I'm sure this code would work since it does work on real MSX-1.

> PS: What in the first bank is considering as being the header and that you plan to keep the same at the same location in future version?
> "Ricardo Bittencourt" "BrSMS rulez" ?

Sure, count on it.

"Ricardo Bittencourt"

Re: Comments/suggestions
Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 2:41 pm
> > About the lack of space.. considering the SMS is video backward compatible with the SG-1000, we have virtually up 4 megabyte usable as long as we (or you) can find a way to handle the bankswitching in the program.
> I'm not sure if the original SG1000 has the banking registers, and I'm also not sure if the
> Master System has the four video modes of SG1000. I could make a version with more than 16kb,
> but the project was meant to run on real machines, and not in emulators. That's
> why the code has lots of EX (SP),HL to ensure the sync between CPU and video.
> BrSMS supports the mapping registers in SG1000 mode, so a larger version of FudeBrowser
> would work fine on it.

The real SG-1000 doesn't have mapping, but SMS is definitively backward compatible.
Loletta no Shouzou is a SMS game, F16 Fighter too and they both use mode 2.

The Mega Adapter (sms->genesis) documentation say that F16 Fighter is known not to work.
So we can assume the Genesis doesn't implement mode 0/1/2.

As for the Game Gear, I tried running F16 Fighters on it. It works but with wrong colors (it's not the fixed tms9118 colors).

> > About "you need a SG-1000", "burn it into an eprom", ..
> > Do you have a SG-1000? Did you actually had the chance to test real code on the system?
> Although I don't have an SG1000, I'm sure this code would work since it does work on real MSX-1.

Good. It was very probable that it'll work, anyway. I was just wondering if you actually burnt an EPROM :)

I may get a Game Gear Flash Card soon.. hopefully it'll help figuring a few things..
Michael Cukan
24-bit PCX files
Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 4:13 pm
Thanks Ricardo, you did a great job!!!
Now even the coding-illiterate like myself can make working (albeit incredibly lame!) Sega roms!

Does anyone know of a good graphics program that can save 24-bit pcx files?
All of the programs I've tried give .sg images that end up quadrupled, with the wrong colors!

Re: 24-bit PCX files
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 1:26 am

> Thanks Ricardo, you did a great job!!!
> Now even the coding-illiterate like myself can make working (albeit incredibly lame!) Sega roms!

> Does anyone know of a good graphics program that can save 24-bit pcx files?
> All of the programs I've tried give .sg images that end up quadrupled, with the wrong colors!

Huh?
Try using "The GIMP" under Linux, or the Win32 port.
This is an insanely powerful graphics program that is completely free! :D
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!