SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sprite Reading

Reply to topic
Marcelo Magri
Sprite Reading
Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 11:17 pm
Anyone here know where I can find information on how to read sprites from SMS roms?
Thanx

Naflign
Oh, something I actually know 0_o
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 4:45 am

Oh, you mean simple being able to view the graphics of the games sprites? If so, it's extreamly easy to do these days. All you'll need to do is download one of the two (that come to my mind right now at least) graphic editing programs that can display master system graphics. Either tile layer, which can be found, among other places, in zophars(www.zophar.net) translation utility section, which is at
http://www.zophar.net/trans/tranutil.html

or you can download masscre, which can be found at
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73750/massacre/

Then at a dos command line, after you unzip them, simply put the rom into the same directory as them, go to dos and into that directory, and type in the program name followed by the rom files name. I suggest trying out both of the programs to see which one you like more.

Last I heard of Massacre, the author had developed a VERY VERY nice looking menu system for a new version of the program...havn't heard anything about it since though, sadly ;{

Hope I understood what you were looking for :)

> Anyone here know where I can find information on how to read sprites from SMS roms?
> Thanx

Marcelo Magri
Re: Oh, something I actually know 0_o
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 12:18 pm
Thanks for your reply,

Actually, I'm working with Massacre, but that's not what I'm really looking for. I'm working in an emulator for SMS based in Win32/DirectX7, and I think I explained myself wrong. What I need is ROM information, it's structure, how to read the header and graphic information. The sprite was something I mentioned because I'm thinking in a new way of doing things. How i'll be using DirectX for graphics, I thought in ripping the sprites, so I'd store them in video memory (or virtual memory) and would work with them from there. So, if something in the rom says: 'move sprite 16 to x,y', i'd do it with the sprite in memory. So, what I need is information on the rom structure, how to read it, things like that.

Anyway, thanks. If you know any doc that has this information, pls send the link t me. :)

>
> Oh, you mean simple being able to view the graphics of the games sprites? If so, it's extreamly easy to do these days. All you'll need to do is download one of the two (that come to my mind right now at least) graphic editing programs that can display master system graphics. Either tile layer, which can be found, among other places, in zophars(www.zophar.net) translation utility section, which is at
> http://www.zophar.net/trans/tranutil.html

> or you can download masscre, which can be found at
> http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73750/massacre/

> Then at a dos command line, after you unzip them, simply put the rom into the same directory as them, go to dos and into that directory, and type in the program name followed by the rom files name. I suggest trying out both of the programs to see which one you like more.

> Last I heard of Massacre, the author had developed a VERY VERY nice looking menu system for a new version of the program...havn't heard anything about it since though, sadly ;{

> Hope I understood what you were looking for :)

> > Anyone here know where I can find information on how to read sprites from SMS roms?
> > Thanx

Nyef
Re: Oh, something I actually know 0_o
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 2:27 pm
> Actually, I'm working with Massacre, but that's not what I'm really looking for. I'm working in an emulator for SMS based in Win32/DirectX7, and I think I explained myself wrong. What I need is ROM information, it's structure, how to read the header and graphic information. The sprite was something I mentioned because I'm thinking in a new way of doing things. How i'll be using DirectX for graphics, I thought in ripping the sprites, so I'd store them in video memory (or virtual memory) and would work with them from there. So, if something in the rom says: 'move sprite 16 to x,y', i'd do it with the sprite in memory. So, what I need is information on the rom structure, how to read it, things like that.

The SMS ROM format is an optional 512-byte header (which can be safely ignored), followed by a number of 16-k banks of code and data. Not a really hard format to use.

For what you appear to be trying to do, look at how the VDP works.

> Anyway, thanks. If you know any doc that has this information, pls send the link t me. :)

Okay, at the top of this page, there's a link for the S8-Dev forum. At the top of that page is a like back to S8-Dev. On that page is a link to some "Technical Information". That's about all the docu we have.

--Nyef

Naflign
*^_^* Whoops NT
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 5:49 pm

>

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!