SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG1K & Qbasic :o(

Reply to topic
Chris
SG1K & Qbasic :o(
Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 9:51 pm
Qbasic is terrible. I can't even get the ROM loaded to an array. QB says that this statement 0x7FFF
exceeds the 64k limit (Designed for 386s). I'm moving my project back to C. At least then I could
load roms and read from them. But, I'm still going to keep the idea of programming for accuracy
first; speed second. That way mabye I'll have Ninja Princess or Penguin Land working.

Chris :o)

Nyef
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 1:48 am
> Qbasic is terrible. I can't even get the ROM loaded to an array. QB says that this statement 0x7FFF
> exceeds the 64k limit (Designed for 386s). I'm moving my project back to C. At least then I could
> load roms and read from them. But, I'm still going to keep the idea of programming for accuracy
> first; speed second. That way mabye I'll have Ninja Princess or Penguin Land working.

Hah. You should have tried using a machine language interface to allocate some dos memory, and peek and poke to use it as an array. :-P

> Chris :o)

--Nyef

Johannes
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:11 pm
> Qbasic is terrible. I can't even get the ROM loaded to an array. QB says that this statement 0x7FFF
> exceeds the 64k limit (Designed for 386s). I'm moving my project back to C. At least then I could
> load roms and read from them. But, I'm still going to keep the idea of programming for accuracy
> first; speed second. That way mabye I'll have Ninja Princess or Penguin Land working.

Although I think the concept of emulating a 3Mhz cpu using QBasic is rather stupid, there is a way to get
around your problem... Just start QB with the /ah parameter, and then declare the array like this:
REDIM whatever(256,128)
Not a very nice solution, but I'm afraid it's the only one available if you really wanna use QBasic...
(unless you wanna do it the uNESsential way, and keep all ROM and RAM stored in files on the HD)

/Johannes

Chris
That's one way! :o)
Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 7:28 pm
Yeah, you're the Unnessential guy. That's a great solution but I think I'm destined to code this thing in
C for some reason. But every time I do it in C I'll get very far but something simple like passing
pointed variables through function parameters will mess me up. I'll figure it all out in the long run.
Especially since this message board is around.

By the way, what happened to Unnessential anyway? Do you plan on doing any further development
or what? What's the story? To tell you the truth, I'm a fan of yours. Your unnessential has shown
that QBasic, even though it's an outdated and simplistic language, can still accomplish any size
task. I guess you could call me a fan of QB revival and develpment.

Chris :o)

Johannes
Re: Yeah, it is.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 10:24 pm

> Yeah, you're the Unnessential guy. That's a great solution but I think I'm destined to code this thing in
> C for some reason. But every time I do it in C I'll get very far but something simple like passing
> pointed variables through function parameters will mess me up. I'll figure it all out in the long run.
> Especially since this message board is around.

Yeah, go with C, you won't regret it!

> By the way, what happened to Unnessential anyway? Do you plan on doing any further development
> or what? What's the story? To tell you the truth, I'm a fan of yours. Your unnessential has shown
> that QBasic, even though it's an outdated and simplistic language, can still accomplish any size
> task. I guess you could call me a fan of QB revival and develpment.

I'm glad you liked it, some people didn't :)
I rewrote uNESsential from scratch some time ago... And since I wanted it to be faster than the old version,
I didn't write any CPU-debugging code at all. Unfortunately the new 6502 emulator is
unbelievably buggy, and since the code doesn't really allow for a nice debugger there's not
much I can do about it, and besides, the point of uNESsential wasn't to make a great emulator,
it was just a fun/stupid challenge, and I guess it did prove something too... :)
I might release the new (buggy) source code some day...

/Johannes

AM
Use QB.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 1999 8:24 pm
Use the versions og QBasic named:

- QuickBasic 4.5
or
- Professional Development System 7.1

Both programs are made by Microsoft. They are not sold anymore so you'll have to follow links from www.qb45.com to get to site that has it.

These two programs are enhanced versions og QBasic and the last one can store your arrays in EMS & XMS memory. Try it.

This is the first time I visit this board. I plan to make a SEGA Master System emulator in QuickBasic with a little assembler.

To see a NES emulator made in QB, go to www.qb45.com, and look in the section 'others'.

Catch ya later,
AM
www.crosswinds.net/~tmb

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!