Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Calypso

Reply to topic
Calypso
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 7:24 am
Man, I think that we should all send a collective E-Mail to the author of Calypso for such a fine emulator.
It may not be the fastest of all emulators, but in debugging mode on my computer(P133/32MB), it is actually reasonably speedy.
Plus all of the debugging tools that will come in handy for us all at some time or another.
Man. It's about time someone came up with such a great debugger.
Now if only I understood it all ;)
~unfnknblvbl
Chris
P133/32MB RAM??
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 10:15 am
> Man, I think that we should all send a collective E-Mail to the author of Calypso for such a fine emulator.
> It may not be the fastest of all emulators, but in debugging mode on my computer(P133/32MB), it is actually reasonably speedy.
> Plus all of the debugging tools that will come in handy for us all at some time or another.
> Man. It's about time someone came up with such a great debugger.
> Now if only I understood it all ;)
> ~unfnknblvbl

Man, you could use Calypso on a 286 in debugger mode. A debugger is a debugger. It's not really high
priority. It may take some time to perform a big number of instructions at once (100, 1000) but
it's debugging mode on our crap P133s dosen't really make a huge difference. It's just a debugger.
Now it's emulation, well...That's a whole other ball game there. That shit needs MAD optomization
or something to speed itself up. I don't know what kind of core the guy is using but damn it! That's
like the RockNES for SMS emulators! That's ridiculous for it to be that damn slow! He must program
under a fuckin' PII500 and shit. But, I gotta remember it's a first release and all. Mabye speed will
come with advancement.

Chris :o)

I meant *running* the game under the debugger *nt*
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 12:11 pm

Nyef
Re: P133/32MB RAM??
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 12:45 pm
> Man, you could use Calypso on a 286 in debugger mode. A debugger is a debugger. It's not really high
> priority. It may take some time to perform a big number of instructions at once (100, 1000) but
> it's debugging mode on our crap P133s dosen't really make a huge difference. It's just a debugger.

This is all too true. I have a book that talks about developing on a 4MHz Z80, and it said that the
user interface is going to spend most of it's time waiting for the user. If a modern-day coder wrote
the interface, however, I feel that it would probably be the other way around. :-)

> Now it's emulation, well...That's a whole other ball game there. That shit needs MAD optomization
> or something to speed itself up. I don't know what kind of core the guy is using but damn it! That's
> like the RockNES for SMS emulators! That's ridiculous for it to be that damn slow! He must program
> under a fuckin' PII500 and shit. But, I gotta remember it's a first release and all. Mabye speed will
> come with advancement.

We can hope so. After all, a p133/32mb (Or is that MiB now?) can run an SMS at full speed using
Marat's Z80 core (I can point to two examples of this, one with source). You just need to do some
very heavy optimizaion in the VDP emulation (tilecache, etc.). Then if you want some extra speed
for some reason (like true fm synth or extra debug info or something), use some ASM. :-)

> Chris :o)

--Nyef

Chris
I know
Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 12:26 am
Didn't you listen to anything I said above?

Chris :o)

Jose Manuel Delgado
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 11:11 am
Hello :)

I´m the author of Calypso, and i´m very surprised by the problem you said. The emulator and the debugger
execute the same function (exec_one_frame_mfz80() (sorry, this but in spanish)). The only difference is that
the display mode is 320*200*256 in emulator and 640*480*256 in debugger, and the debugger calls
a function at the start of exec one instruction.

The emulator have an Allegro bitmap called pemu, and the VDP writes all to this. Then the bitmap is
blitted to the screen. And yes, the blit is FAST in 640 than in 320. I´m very surprised by this, but in fact it is.
I´m working in the new version with a library called Eagle, wich doubles the size of the screen, to work in
640*480 but at a resonably size of emulated screen. If somebody knows the best solution, tell me.

Stay tuned for newer versions. And yes, the VDP engine is TRHEE times slow that the Z80 engine. My
computer is a four years old Pentium 60, nor 450 or 500. The emulator runs at 13, 12 fps.

You don´t kown how to run the emulator? English docs are available at http://www.tel.uva.es/~jdelmen.

Thanks for all.

Saludos

Jose Manuel

PD: feel free to send me ANY question about Calypso.

Chris
Woah!
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 7:18 pm
> Hello :)

You can speak English! Yes! :o)

> I´m the author of Calypso, and i´m very surprised by the problem you said. The emulator and the debugger
> execute the same function (exec_one_frame_mfz80() (sorry, this but in spanish)). The only difference is that
> the display mode is 320*200*256 in emulator and 640*480*256 in debugger, and the debugger calls
> a function at the start of exec one instruction.

> The emulator have an Allegro bitmap called pemu, and the VDP writes all to this. Then the bitmap is
> blitted to the screen. And yes, the blit is FAST in 640 than in 320. I´m very surprised by this, but in fact it is.
> I´m working in the new version with a library called Eagle, wich doubles the size of the screen, to work in
> 640*480 but at a resonably size of emulated screen. If somebody knows the best solution, tell me.

Eagle is a dream come true. Except you need a faster PC for it. Atleast I do.

> Stay tuned for newer versions. And yes, the VDP engine is TRHEE times slow that the Z80 engine. My
> computer is a four years old Pentium 60, nor 450 or 500. The emulator runs at 13, 12 fps.

Oh. Well, I'll be looking forward to new releases.

> You don´t kown how to run the emulator? English docs are available at http://www.tel.uva.es/~jdelmen.

Yes. I can read some spanish. It's pretty difficult but I can figure out how to run it and stuff. Words like
byte and bit are universal, ya know?

> Thanks for all.

> Saludos

> Jose Manuel

> PD: feel free to send me ANY question about Calypso.

Jose Manuel
Re: Woah!
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 9:29 pm

I make a horrible mistake. The blit speed are better in 320 than in 640. The reason that the debbuguer was
fast is that is has a frameskip of 2 frames. Like the render engine is the poor part of the emulator, the speek
increase considerabily. I saw this looking the code. Sorry :)

And yes, I can spek english at a ridicuosly level. I didn´t pass my June exam of english.

Saludos,

Jose Manuel Delgado

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 10:32 pm
> Man, I think that we should all send a collective E-Mail to the author of Calypso for such a fine emulator.
> It may not be the fastest of all emulators, but in debugging mode on my computer(P133/32MB), it is actually reasonably speedy.
> Plus all of the debugging tools that will come in handy for us all at some time or another.
> Man. It's about time someone came up with such a great debugger.

It's a really nice debugger. The only thing I would like is Game Gear support, which the author indicated would be put in at some point in time.

I tried to load the first Game Gear demo that I released and it did nothing. I've seen this a number of times with other emulators.
Re: P133/32MB RAM??
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 10:36 pm
> Now it's emulation, well...That's a whole other ball game there. That shit needs MAD optomization
> or something to speed itself up. I don't know what kind of core the guy is using but damn it! That's
> like the RockNES for SMS emulators! That's ridiculous for it to be that damn slow! He must program
> under a fuckin' PII500 and shit. But, I gotta remember it's a first release and all. Mabye speed will
> come with advancement.

I would worry about getting the emulator running accurately before wasting time on speed. It's takes a lot longer to fix problems in optimized code.
Wow, Cool!
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 6:50 am
Yeah. You rock, man!
Does Calypso support sound? (ESS ES1788 AudioDrive)
Game Gear demo
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 7:02 am
> I tried to load the first Game Gear demo that I released and it did nothing. I've seen this a number of times with other emulators.

Ah btw, did you made anything else than the Frog Demo ?
Re: Game Gear demo
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 6:59 am
> Ah btw, did you made anything else than the Frog Demo ?

Yeah I made a simple text demo a long time ago. It was the basis of the Neon Spiral Injection stuff.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!