Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - This would be good...

Reply to topic
This would be good...
Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 8:29 am
I'm going to try to convince my computing teacher to teach SMS programming next year, instead of Visual Basic (yerk!!)
I'm going to tell him about this site and what it has to offer.
Personally, I think that most students would much rather write a game for a SMS emulator than a dodgy point-and-shoot game for a PC. But then, that's just my opinion. Most of the student next year probably won't remember the SMS :(
Wish me luck?
~unfnknblvbl
Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 1:51 pm
> I'm going to try to convince my computing teacher to teach SMS programming next year, instead of Visual Basic (yerk!!)
> I'm going to tell him about this site and what it has to offer.
> Personally, I think that most students would much rather write a game for a SMS emulator than a dodgy point-and-shoot game for a PC. But then, that's just my opinion. Most of the student next year probably won't remember the SMS :(
> Wish me luck?
> ~unfnknblvbl

Its a nice try! But I think them will want to learn code for something more newer..like psx or saturn...
btw..I would love to watch these classes :P
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 4:24 am
[...]

> Its a nice try! But I think them will want to learn code for something more newer..like psx or saturn...
> btw..I would love to watch these classes :P

I just asked then.
The bastard just laughed at me and muttered something about user bases or something :(

These classes are drop-dead boring.
We do just about nothing, and the teacher is trying to 'teach' me stuff that I already know. In fact, I probably know much more than the teacher I have. :)
~unfnknblvbl
Lin Ke-Fong
Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 5:13 am
> I'm going to try to convince my computing teacher to teach SMS programming next year, instead of Visual Basic (yerk!!)
> I'm going to tell him about this site and what it has to offer.
> Personally, I think that most students would much rather write a game for a SMS emulator than a dodgy point-and-shoot game for a PC. But then, that's just my opinion. Most of the student next year probably won't remember the SMS :(
> Wish me luck?

:)

No I disagree, you should better learn Java, that's a pretty cool language, it is one of the best designed. Built upon
firm experience and theory. And soon, well even now, there should be pretty much lot of work for it. Jobs in the database
area, which are really well paid, probably better paid than those in the gaming industry. Better to learn how to do
database management, it's not as fun as game, but not as hard, and really easier than "hard" stuff like numerical
analysis.

I don't understand, the premium language for learning CS in the end 80s and 90s was and is still (at least in France) Turbo
Pascal, why do they make you learn Visual Basic. That language sucks, it's badly designed, and you have some
irrationnal rules for expressions.

Well today, I am completely off topic of sms dev. :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 8:38 am
> No I disagree, you should better learn Java, that's a pretty cool language, it is one of the best designed. Built upon
> firm experience and theory. And soon, well even now, there should be pretty much lot of work for it. Jobs in the database
> area, which are really well paid, probably better paid than those in the gaming industry. Better to learn how to do
> database management, it's not as fun as game, but not as hard, and really easier than "hard" stuff like numerical
> analysis.

There's only so much database development one person can take. I lasted 9 months. Game programming has so much to offer. The only other field I think I would be interested in is embedded system development.

A cool game development related job is programming for PC based game systems. (hunting systems, bar (beer) game machines, golf simulators...) It's usually pretty nice since you have a definate target system (known graphics card, sound card, and input devices). Also it usually doesn't involve cutting edge technologies, and has shorter projects. I've programmed 4 games in a year period for a hunting system. I'm almost fully in control of the direction and completely in control of the programming of the game. The only job that would be better would be arcade system development.

WAAAAY off SMS dev topic... :) (We all have to do something else.)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!