Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Coming soon: SMS Japanese BIOS, Wonderboy 1 (title and area 1-1), Sonic 1 (all stages) and others

Reply to topic
Tincho DJ
Coming soon: SMS Japanese BIOS, Wonderboy 1 (title and area 1-1), Sonic 1 (all stages) and others
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:51 pm
Some of the soundtracks from the games mentioned above are going to be released by me very soon. Other music files include: Psycho Fox (title and zone 1-1), Streets of Rage II Stage 1 and maybe others that I forgot. All songs have the GD3 tag as complete as I could. The main problem is that most of the track authors are unknown (except for Yuzo Koshiro).

Since they are my first rips, I'd like to know how many times should I let the music repeat before stopping the VGM log. Most of the songs I have already ripped repeats at least twice, but if that's not right, let me know and I'll rip them correctly.

I also have one question: In the GD3 tag, the Japanese column should be filled with the Japanese gamename (ex: Bare Knuckle instead of Streets Of Rage), or is it for use with Japanese characters only?

• Site Admin
Re: Coming soon...
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:10 pm
> SMS Japanese BIOS

The Japanese BIOS uses a combination of FM and PSG, so any VGM recorded from it will only play the PSG part. Wait for FM playback...

> Sonic 1 (all stages)

I've done a couple of those already (Title screen, Green Hill and Bonus Stage). If you haven't finished those off then I'll contribute them.

> Psycho Fox (title and zone 1-1)

I have already ripped the whole of Psycho Fox, the only problem is the ending music which is destroyed by SFX. I'll probably release it as-is since I've had no luck hacking the rom.

> The main problem is that most of the track authors are unknown (except for Yuzo Koshiro).

Well, first you check the game credits, then the game manual, then you look in the rom in a hex editor. Then you give up...

Psycho Fox: "Sound Editor: Mr. Question" (credits)
Sonic 1: Yuzo Koshiro (credits)
Japanese BIOS: see Space Harrier
Wonder Boy: Shinichi Sakamoto (he is/was the entire West One sound department apparently)

[ Looping questions ignored :) ]

> I also have one question: In the GD3 tag, the Japanese column should be filled with the Japanese gamename (ex: Bare Knuckle instead of Streets Of Rage), or is it for use with Japanese characters only?

It's supposed to be for Japanese characters. If you want to include that information, put it in the Notes. Also note that Streets of Rage doesn't change its name when run on a Japanese (emulated) SMS, unlike the GG version; so it probably wasn't released there.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!