Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - PSG Music Editor...No Way!!!

Reply to topic
Chris
PSG Music Editor...No Way!!!
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 8:34 pm
Man, that program is damn there impossible to write! The reason why is because it's a graphical
based interpreter. I can't even begin to imagine what formula I would have to do to auto notate
the instructions for a song, let alone keep track of all the little positions and places the user could
click. Oh god, even to get the damn score view to scroll though the music is a challenge! I don't
even know how to declare an array that will allocate and deallocate with each note add on
and take off. How do I even declare an array from..ahh forget it. This is way too overwhelming
for me. I could write a command-based operating system from scratch in assembler before
I could do that. I'd rather write a damn Dreamcast emulator than to write that junk. At least
with that there's less to worry about. Just read the instructions, interpret what they mean,
execute them and check for controller input.

That would be one of the greatest tools but I can't do it, not in the state I'm in now. Mabye
Paul Jenson or someone else is willing to step up to the challenge but I can't handle it. I'll
drive my little brain insane if I even attempt this.

Chris :o)

Eric
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 8:50 pm
Why don't you try something a little less ambitious. Maybe you could write a utility that extracts 3 tracks from an existing MIDI file, and converts them into PSG commands.

I don't know much about the MIDI file specification, but certainly this should be possible. Let current MIDI sequencing software do the dirty work of actually displaying the music graphically, your program only needs to "post-process" the .MID files.

To begin with you can ignore the percussion track, and instrument voices - just a simple default SMS voice for all three tracks. Perhaps you can even make your program smart enough to reject .MID files that have too many tracks.

The benefit of such a program is that musicians can use MIDI software they are already familiar with (which most likely includes some powerful features,) and then just pass it through your program to convert the MIDI into SMS PSG programming commands.

Just a thought.

Eric

Chris
Eric, you're a genious!
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 12:49 am
That's pure genious! That's so, brilliant! Excellent idea! Let the damn sequencer do the dirty work
for me and I'll just convert the midi music file to a .PSG or Z80. Now this I can work with. Damn,
where did you get that idea from? That's so simple but such a novelty. I'm going to download
some MIDI docs and see what I can do from there. I think I'll call it,

MID2PSG

That sounds cool. And if the person reading this message happens to be Paul Jenson, be
prepared to read lots of E-Mail from me.

Chris
Another idea...
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 12:54 am
Check it out. A program that will convert PCM Wave files to Sms Voice. Then the programmer
could record their voice or a sound and use it in their SMS game. I'm thinking more of the
Ni****do programmer in mind because the NES can play PCM sounds without freezing the
system, which is excellent for ingame sound effects like precussion and "Arrgghh" sounds.
Looks like I'll be looking for not only a MIDI document but a Windows WAV document
as well.

A little provocation (because I'm a bad mood :)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 10:05 am
> That sounds cool. And if the person reading this message happens to be Paul Jenson, be
> prepared to read lots of E-Mail from me.

Oh my god!
Paul, change your e-mail address, quick!
Limbs a Flyin'
Re: Another idea...
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 2:07 pm
being that the sms does its voice by playing with the psg alot, i believe in theory it is possible to emit a sample and continue gameplay at the same time - but it could be a bit hard and consume a lot of z80 cpu power? (maybe thats why we havent seen it before)

> Check it out. A program that will convert PCM Wave files to Sms Voice. Then the programmer
> could record their voice or a sound and use it in their SMS game. I'm thinking more of the
> Nintendo programmer in mind because the NES can play PCM sounds without freezing the
> system, which is excellent for ingame sound effects like precussion and "Arrgghh" sounds.
> Looks like I'll be looking for not only a MIDI document but a Windows WAV document
> as well.

> Chris :o)

Huh? I'm seeing my name mentioned a lot. What gives?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 3:30 am
> That's pure genious! That's so, brilliant! Excellent idea! Let the damn sequencer do the dirty work
> for me and I'll just convert the midi music file to a .PSG or Z80. Now this I can work with. Damn,
> where did you get that idea from? That's so simple but such a novelty. I'm going to download
> some MIDI docs and see what I can do from there. I think I'll call it,

> MID2PSG

> That sounds cool. And if the person reading this message

Yeah... that DOES sound cool. Sounds like another program I know of... forgot the name, though... ;)

happens to be Paul Jenson, be
> prepared to read lots of E-Mail from me.

ee? chikusho! demo... shikata ga nai, naa...!

Actually, that's no big deal. I think I still have some MIDI docs floating around on my hard drive. Also, you should check out the gym2mid source— if it's not on my site now, it will be soon, or I can just eMail you a copy— for 'MIDI.BAS', which contains a lot of information about the MIDI file format, as well as some functions for writing various MIDI commands to a file buffer. The only problem is that you'll have to port it from VB to C, or whatever language you're using.

Good luck!

Paul

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 5:56 am
Try writing a program that just converts a three-track MIDI file int your .PSG format.
People can then just go & get Winjammer or something to write the music in.
That should be a little easier.

-unfnknblvbl
Re: Huh? I'm seeing my name mentioned a lot. What gives?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 6:03 am
Sorry Paul, that's my fault. I told him about GYM2MID earlier.
Good program though, is it possible for you to get GYM2MID to support MIDI format 0 output?
Chris
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 6:54 am
That's the thing. I don't even know what to code anymore. You know how many projects I have sitting
on my HD? Check out the latest message called I don't know what to code and you will see.

No, I'm not copying off of you or GYM2MID. I would like to mention how excellent the utility is
and I finally understand why you never added an automatic patching feature. The YM2612
uses programmable patches.

Oh, and I do have your source...Somewhere. You know how it is.

By the way, what does that chikusho mumbo stuff mean? Is it Japanese?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 7:51 pm
> No, I'm not copying off of you or GYM2MID. I would like to mention how excellent the utility is
> and I finally understand why you never added an automatic patching feature. The YM2612
> uses programmable patches.

No problem. You can call your program whatever you like. I was just joking around, anyway.

> Oh, and I do have your source...Somewhere. You know how it is.

Yes... yes I do...

> By the way, what does that chikusho mumbo stuff mean? Is it Japanese?

hai, nihongo deshita.

(yes, it was Japanese.)

ee? chikusho! demo... shikata ga nai, naa...!

(eh? damn! but... there's nothing I can do about it, huh?)

That line was in reference to what you said about sending me a whole lot of eMail. But don't get scared or anything; if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can.

Paul
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!