SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Turbo Graphix 16/PC Engine

Reply to topic
Chris
Turbo Graphix 16/PC Engine
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 5:22 pm
What kind of processor does the Turbo Graphix 16 use? I heard that it uses a 6502 or a 65C02
but either way if it's a old ass 6502 I'm going to faint! How could such a weak processor like
the 6502 control such a powerful system as that? But, I hope it does because that will definately
be a nice emulator to work with! I never owned a Turbo Graphix 16 because when I was young
it was too expensive and it wasn't as popular as the NES or Genesis. But from what I've seen
from Magic Engine and the screen shots from Dracula X, that system makes Genesis look like
a baby rattle! Man I hope it's true.

But now I got another problem. I can't decide which emulator I want to work with! My SG1K
(Sega Game 1000), PowerNES(NES emulator), Hypergfx(Turbo Graphix 16), GreatSMS
(Sega Master System), Leopard(Atari Lynx Emulator) or what. I want to just settle and work
with only one emulator at a time because I have a feeling I will get the systems confused
with one another and nothing will work or run right. But, my first steps are writing the CPU
cores, displaying graphics in 320x200 at least, and playing some sort of sound.

Chris :o)

PCEFAN
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 7:23 pm
> What kind of processor does the Turbo Graphix 16 use? I heard that it uses a 6502 or a 65C02
> but either way if it's a old ass 6502 I'm going to faint! How could such a weak processor like
> the 6502 control such a powerful system as that? But, I hope it does because that will definately
> be a nice emulator to work with! I never owned a Turbo Graphix 16 because when I was young
> it was too expensive and it wasn't as popular as the NES or Genesis. But from what I've seen
> from Magic Engine and the screen shots from Dracula X, that system makes Genesis look like
> a baby rattle! Man I hope it's true.

> But now I got another problem. I can't decide which emulator I want to work with! My SG1K
> (Sega Game 1000), PowerNES(NES emulator), Hypergfx(Turbo Graphix 16), GreatSMS
> (Sega Master System), Leopard(Atari Lynx Emulator) or what. I want to just settle and work
> with only one emulator at a time because I have a feeling I will get the systems confused
> with one another and nothing will work or run right. But, my first steps are writing the CPU
> cores, displaying graphics in 320x200 at least, and playing some sort of sound.

> Chris :o)

go to: http://joyce.eng.yale.edu/~bt/turbo/tginternals/

and that's right TG/PCE is Better that SEGA.

:)

ziggy880
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 9:25 pm
> > What kind of processor does the Turbo Graphix 16 use? I heard that it uses a 6502 or a 65C02
> > but either way if it's a old ass 6502 I'm going to faint! How could such a weak processor like
> > the 6502 control such a powerful system as that? But, I hope it does because that will definately
> > be a nice emulator to work with! I never owned a Turbo Graphix 16 because when I was young
> > it was too expensive and it wasn't as popular as the NES or Genesis. But from what I've seen
> > from Magic Engine and the screen shots from Dracula X, that system makes Genesis look like
> > a baby rattle! Man I hope it's true.

> > But now I got another problem. I can't decide which emulator I want to work with! My SG1K
> > (Sega Game 1000), PowerNES(NES emulator), Hypergfx(Turbo Graphix 16), GreatSMS
> > (Sega Master System), Leopard(Atari Lynx Emulator) or what. I want to just settle and work
> > with only one emulator at a time because I have a feeling I will get the systems confused
> > with one another and nothing will work or run right. But, my first steps are writing the CPU
> > cores, displaying graphics in 320x200 at least, and playing some sort of sound.

> > Chris :o)

> go to: http://joyce.eng.yale.edu/~bt/turbo/tginternals/

> and that's right TG/PCE is Better that SEGA.

> :)

both systems have there virtues just a note though dracula x pc engine is a cd game for the tg cd
so when comparing it you should compare it to at least the sega cd games the tg has more colors on screen though they
both have the same number per sprite 497/16 tg 61/16 genny standard res on the genny is higher though theres supposed to
be ways to stretch the screen on the tg dont know if theres an equivalent for the genesis then theres the multiple backgrounds
thing

Chris
The Page is Outdated
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 12:52 am
And I still don't know what processor it uses.

Limbs a Flyin'
the name of a pce emu gives you some info...
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 6:48 am

> And I still don't know what processor it uses.

Hu6280, the emulator is called that because its the name of the cpu inside the pce/tg16.

i think the cpu was made by NEC (well, its their machine).

if you are desparate for cpu ifno, mame includes a core for the hu6280

Chris
Re: the name of a pce emu gives you some info...
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 7:38 am
I already figured it out. The Turbo Graphix 16 6280 works just like the 6502. I think it contains
the 6502 instruction set, plus some extra instructions. Kinda like what the Z80 did with the 8080;
except those bastards went all out and wrote like 50 new instructions and well over an extra
300 combinations of opcodes to make it one bad ass processor. What I don't know is if the PCE
uses a custom NEC graphics chip and if the sound is some suited-up SN what ever the numbers
are.

ziggy880
Re: the name of a pce emu gives you some info...
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 8:28 pm
> I already figured it out. The Turbo Graphix 16 6280 works just like the 6502. I think it contains
> the 6502 instruction set, plus some extra instructions. Kinda like what the Z80 did with the 8080;
> except those bastards went all out and wrote like 50 new instructions and well over an extra
> 300 combinations of opcodes to make it one bad ass processor. What I don't know is if the PCE
> uses a custom NEC graphics chip and if the sound is some suited-up SN what ever the numbers
> are.

www.classicgaming.com/epr and http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3340/console.html
both somewhat outdated but the info is there
the huc6270 is the video display controller and its 16 bit

Nah, he won't look at MAME, it is too lame for him ;-) *nt*
Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 9:17 pm
>
> > And I still don't know what processor it uses.

> > Chris :o)

> Hu6280, the emulator is called that because its the name of the cpu inside the pce/tg16.

> i think the cpu was made by NEC (well, its their machine).

> if you are desparate for cpu ifno, mame includes a core for the hu6280
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!