SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - vgz and vgm extension

Reply to topic
Sean
vgz and vgm extension
Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:24 pm
I can drop and drag files directly into winamp to play and they play fine from playlist. But when I click on them (Open) I chose winamp to operate that program but I get a windows error message saying it is an invalid file format. Then it doesn't open. No problem though if I open with winmap. Is this a Windows ME problem or is there something else I am missing. On a side note is the sound difference of the FM chip really that much better to warrant not ripping FM tracks until it is emulated?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:04 pm
> I can drop and drag files directly into winamp to play and they play fine from playlist. But when I click on them (Open) I chose winamp to operate that program but I get a windows error message saying it is an invalid file format. Then it doesn't open. No problem though if I open with winmap.

Try this: press Ctrl+P in Winamp. Click on "File types", then make sure VGM and VGZ are highlighted in the list. That'll make Winamp associate them fully with itself (you'll get stuff like Enqueue on the context menu).

If they don't appear on the list, you've probably installed a buggy plugin like the in_ra.dll.

> On a side note is the sound difference of the FM chip really that much better to warrant not ripping FM tracks until it is emulated?

What? People aren't ripping FM tracks because there's no point, it's not yet possible to play FM music. All games with FM music also come with PSG music, usually quite similar, which people are ripping (WB3, Out Run 3D, Psycho Fox* come to mind). FM music is different, it is technically more advanced, and has a very different sound (3 square wave channels vs. 9 FM sine wave channels).

* My Psycho Fox rip is unreleased in the hope I'll figure out how to hack the ending music to record it without the loud SFX played over it.

Maxim
Sean
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:21 am
> What? People aren't ripping FM tracks because there's no point, it's not yet possible to play FM music. All games with FM music also come with PSG music, usually quite similar, which people are ripping (WB3, Out Run 3D, Psycho Fox* come to mind). FM music is different, it is technically more advanced, and has a very different sound (3 square wave channels vs. 9 FM sine wave channels).

> Maxim

Ya I think I just had to resart my computer for Winamp to regigister the file extensions or somthing because it works now and thats the only think I did. I guess my question was should you have two versions of game music, one FM and one PSG or would it be a good idea to save some effort and not rip a game with FM music until it is emulated.(As opposed to doing one PSG now and doing it again later in FM)

• Site Admin
PSG vs FM
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 11:01 am
> I guess my question was should you have two versions of game music, one FM and one PSG or would it be a good idea to save some effort and not rip a game with FM music until it is emulated.(As opposed to doing one PSG now and doing it again later in FM)

Well... it seems a lot of games which have FM music also happen to have very good music (WB3, Out Run). It seems logical to rip the PSG music now so we can listen to it.

BTW, if anyone cares, after *many* hours of dull, tedious work (and stupid questions like "what does ^ mean?" and no C programmers online in my ICQ list*), I'm about 3/4 of the way through translating EMU2413 to Delphi... it'll be a miracle if it doesn't crash my computer due to the number of mistakes I'm bound to have made, it's 43KB of code I don't really understand.

* So what does ^ mean? It means "xor". What symbol does Delphi use for this? "xor". Am I alone in thinking that's a hell of a lot more logical? Ah, I digress...

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!