Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Hey Maxim..

Reply to topic
Shaka
Hey Maxim..
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:01 pm
A couple of issues that appeared to me, while using your VGM plugin :

1. When i select the +Dir option in winamp, it adds all songs in that directory, twice.. hehe, is this normal ? (it only happens when i add .vgm or .vgz files btw.)

2. Even if i select to play the looped part 0 times, it still plays more than one time.. (the BIOS tune plays twice, the same happens with every other song..)

3. The VGM plugin likes flanger effects, but really dislikes chorus, reverb effects, again, is this normal ? (btw, alex kidd with flanger is a real trip. :).

also, a couple of sugestions..

1. don't add that Unsupported VGM Version in the tag if the vgm version isnt up-to-date, it only keeps people like me, who still uses 800x600 resolutions to not see the name of the song. :).

2. can you add a option to make the "Unsupported VGM Version file found, Would you like to play it anyway (yes/no)" window, be seletable to appear or not, (i say this because i've made quite a big playlist right now (all 14 wb tunes, all akmw tunes, all r-type tunes, all outrun3d tunes, plus a couple more of ps tunes.) and that window keep annoyning me.. ( i dont like to be typing a text and have that windows poping-up like every 2 minutes or so.. :).

for the vgm plugin that would be it.. hehe..

also i would like to ask..
does the VGM tool add the GD3 tag, if i dont trim the file. (i already have the file playing perfectly, and doesnt need to trim, but the vgm tool doesnt seen to be writing to original the gd3 tag. is it me ? is it windows98 ? or is it my stupid pc ??

hehe

well.. that's it..
i'm having lots of fun with vgm.. (finally small files that i can keep on a disk, and listen while i work!) heheh

thanks again for all your effort on this..

--Shaka

• Site Admin
Re: Hey Shaka...
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:47 pm
> A couple of issues that appeared to me, while using your VGM plugin :

> 1. When i select the +Dir option in winamp, it adds all songs in that directory, twice.. hehe, is this normal ? (it only happens when i add .vgm or .vgz files btw.)

That's caused by another plugin. I think the RealPlayer one is the main culprit; until I deleted it I used to get every MP3 twice as well.

> 2. Even if i select to play the looped part 0 times, it still plays more than one time.. (the BIOS tune plays twice, the same happens with every other song..)

That's strange. Try deleting the VGM section from your winamp.ini, since maybe an old alpha version's settings are confusing it. Needless to say, it doesn't happen to me...

> 3. The VGM plugin likes flanger effects, but really dislikes chorus, reverb effects, again, is this normal ? (btw, alex kidd with flanger is a real trip. :).

You mean using a DSP plugin? I downloaded a few to see what they were like. "Dee" causes almighty crashes all the time. "AlienDSP" generally sounds bad, with the notable exception of the "Pseudo stereo" setting (which just delays one side by a few ms), which sounds quite cool. Let me know which plugin you're using, I'll give it a go. The main thing is that my plugin's producing 100% square waves, which will cause strange effects with some DSP filters. (They also cause problems with anything doing FFTs, like the equaliser, which starts eating up a lot more CPU than normal.)

> also, a couple of sugestions..

> 1. don't add that Unsupported VGM Version in the tag if the vgm version isnt up-to-date, it only keeps people like me, who still uses 800x600 resolutions to not see the name of the song. :).

What are the old files you have? All the official ones are compliant and shouldn't display that.

> 2. can you add a option to make the "Unsupported VGM Version file found, Would you like to play it anyway (yes/no)" window, be seletable to appear or not, (i say this because i've made quite a big playlist right now (all 14 wb tunes, all akmw tunes, all r-type tunes, all outrun3d tunes, plus a couple more of ps tunes.) and that window keep annoyning me.. ( i dont like to be typing a text and have that windows poping-up like every 2 minutes or so.. :).

You must have an old plugin. I removed that because it was annoying Dave - it should only appear now if the version data in the file isn't 1.xx.

> does the VGM tool add the GD3 tag, if i dont trim the file. (i already have the file playing perfectly, and doesnt need to trim, but the vgm tool doesnt seen to be writing to original the gd3 tag. is it me ? is it windows98 ? or is it my stupid pc ??

"Write to original" should add it to the file named at the top, if necessary after removing the old tag.

So... check the plugin, it should mention "v0.11" a lot. If you like I can send you a beta of 0.12, just to be sure. If you used any of the alphas then be sure to delete them (in_dym.dll, in_aym.dll); if you have DLL icons showing then they'll show up with Sonic in your plugins folder.

Email or ICQ me if you like.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:10 pm
> A couple of issues that appeared to me, while using your VGM plugin :
> 1. When i select the +Dir option in winamp, it adds all songs in that directory, twice.. hehe, is this normal ? (it only happens when i add .vgm or .vgz files btw.)

That could be because of the playlist also contained in the directory.
  • Site Admin
No... it's Winamp <2.75
Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:54 pm
> > A couple of issues that appeared to me, while using your VGM plugin :
> > 1. When i select the +Dir option in winamp, it adds all songs in that directory, twice.. hehe, is this normal ? (it only happens when i add .vgm or .vgz files btw.)

> That could be because of the playlist also contained in the directory.

...Winamp ignores that. From Winamp's history:

Winamp 2.75:
* MASSIVELY optimized directory scanning and removed multi-add bugs

The playlist ignoring was probably added then.

Maxim
Shaka
Re: i think i'm using lastest plugin..
Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:12 pm
> That's caused by another plugin. I think the RealPlayer one is the main culprit; until I deleted it I used to get every MP3 twice as well.

i see.. i think its strange because it only happens with .vgm .vgz files.. and i deleted the playlist from the dir.. maybe its just some weird crash on winamp or something..

> > 2. Even if i select to play the looped part 0 times, it still plays more than one time.. (the BIOS tune plays twice, the same happens with every other song..)

> That's strange. Try deleting the VGM section from your winamp.ini, since maybe an old alpha version's settings are confusing it. Needless to say, it doesn't happen to me...

that worked..
i cleaned up the vgm section and now its playing perfectly.. thanks.. :).

> You mean using a DSP plugin? I downloaded a few to see what they were like. "Dee" causes almighty crashes all the time. "AlienDSP" generally sounds bad, with the notable exception of the "Pseudo stereo" setting (which just delays one side by a few ms), which sounds quite cool. Let me know which plugin you're using, I'll give it a go. The main thing is that my plugin's producing 100% square waves, which will cause strange effects with some DSP filters. (They also cause problems with anything doing FFTs, like the equaliser, which starts eating up a lot more CPU than normal.)

the eq works normally for me.. and it is really usefull since i'm using some powerfull speakers. it doesnt really eat up lot of cpu i think.. this k6-300, 128mb of ram can play vgm files using the eq, and i can normally see webpages, types e-mails, stay on irc.. no prob.

i'm using a old version of DeFX for the DSP effects..
if you want i may send to you.. no problema..

> What are the old files you have? All the official ones are compliant and shouldn't display that.

hmm.. a old sonic one (that doesnt play very well), and the akmw i downloaded from smspower music section.. also the ones i create with meka 0.59b is doing that too.. i'm using 0.11 version of the plugin..

> You must have an old plugin. I removed that because it was annoying Dave - it should only appear now if the version data in the file isn't 1.xx.

maybe i have an old beta lying around.. but i'm pretty sure i downloaded 0.11 from smspower music section.. about 2 or 3 times.. :) (1 time at work, 1 time at home.. another time at home).

> "Write to original" should add it to the file named at the top, if necessary after removing the old tag.

hmm.. i'll check into deeper into that.. i think i'm screwing up with the files.. :)

> So... check the plugin, it should mention "v0.11" a lot. If you like I can send you a beta of 0.12, just to be sure. If you used any of the alphas then be sure to delete them (in_dym.dll, in_aym.dll); if you have DLL icons showing then they'll show up with Sonic in your plugins folder.

i think i still have a in_aym.dll file.. i'll delete it.
all my dllshave the same icon.. so i'm not sure..
i will delete my in_vgm.dll and in_aym (if still's there.) and re-install it..

> Email or ICQ me if you like.

i need to re-install icq..
so... i will stick with forum and mail... :)
hehe

--Shaka

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:19 pm
> the eq works normally for me.. and it is really usefull since i'm using some powerfull speakers.

If they're powerful they shouldn't need any EQ :P The EQ messes with the waveshape, mainly because a square wave can't be Fourier transformed accurately (bah, I'm getting a bit too technical here). On my (slow for its spec) K6 450 the EQ increases CPU use from ~6% to ~30%, although I've changed a lot since I tested that. I only use the EQ when listening to MP3s on in-ear headphones since they have weak bass and over-emphasised treble (especially MP3 ringing artifacts).

> it doesnt really eat up lot of cpu i think.. this k6-300, 128mb of ram can play vgm files using the eq, and i can normally see webpages, types e-mails, stay on irc.. no prob.

That's because the decoding, processing and playback threads are all higher priority tasks :P

> i'm using a old version of DeFX for the DSP effects..
> if you want i may send to you.. no problema..

I got a copy from http://www.ancelot.8k.com/.

> > What are the old files you have? All the official ones are compliant and shouldn't display that.

> hmm.. a old sonic one (that doesnt play very well), and the akmw i downloaded from smspower music section.. also the ones i create with meka 0.59b is doing that too.. i'm using 0.11 version of the plugin..

Let me know if you still get that after clearing out the old plugins.

Maxim
Shaka
Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:44 am
> If they're powerful they shouldn't need any EQ :P The EQ messes with the waveshape, mainly because a square wave can't be Fourier transformed accurately (bah, I'm getting a bit too technical here). On my (slow for its spec) K6 450 the EQ increases CPU use from ~6% to ~30%, although I've changed a lot since I tested that. I only use the EQ when listening to MP3s on in-ear headphones since they have weak bass and over-emphasised treble (especially MP3 ringing artifacts).

i like to lift up the bass.. and i have to use the eq while playing my guitar wave files.. because winamp out_dsk uses the eq.. which is really usefull and great.. i also use the eq while writing vgms to waves.. (great cdr's).

> That's because the decoding, processing and playback threads are all higher priority tasks :P

i see.. and i think.. hmm.. typing inst a much cpu instensive task.. so doesnt need a high priority..

great.. DeFX is a great plugin..

> > > What are the old files you have? All the official ones are compliant and shouldn't display that.

> > hmm.. a old sonic one (that doesnt play very well), and the akmw i downloaded from smspower music section.. also the ones i create with meka 0.59b is doing that too.. i'm using 0.11 version of the plugin..
> Let me know if you still get that after clearing out the old plugins.

well.. not anymore..
not with the new files..
and the douple listing still continues.. but i have get used to it.. hehe..

i had (still have in a cd with my last week backup) the in_dym and in_aym plugins..

now everything seems to work great.. :)
thanks maxim..

--Shaka

> Maxim

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!