SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Nobody....?

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Nobody....?
Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:44 pm

Just a quick reminder of my earlier post about my SMS rom checker/renamer, because there's been no interest (except for a mail from Zoop :o). So, if you missed it, please look.

Don't worry, I'm not one of those freaky internet types who won't let it lie, I was just surprised... won't post about it again.

Ta,

Maxim

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 2:37 am
> Just a quick reminder of my earlier post about my SMS rom checker/renamer, because there's been no interest (except for a mail from Zoop :o). So, if you missed it, please look.
> Don't worry, I'm not one of those freaky internet types who won't let it lie, I was just surprised... won't post about it again.
> Ta,
> Maxim

So, SMSchecker is your creation? Let me DL it and i'll give you my impressions afterwards....
  • Site Admin
OK, so I lied... it now reads zipped roms (nt)
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 9:58 am
The lie being, I said I wouldn't post again.
And I suppose the (nt) was a lie too...
Re: OK, so I lied... it now reads zipped roms
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 12:50 pm
> The lie being, I said I wouldn't post again.
> And I suppose the (nt) was a lie too...

You bastard lier!! ;)
I'd like to comment on your first post.

Unfortunately, it is something to cope with that many people don't really care about anything going on, they just download the stuff and hide away :)
I hardly get one compliment message about Meka a day (the rest being ROM request and asking how to play with a joypad), but that's not a real problem you know: just remember you are doing this for yourself and you won't be deceived of anything!
And think about the people who will get your program in a SMS archive in ten years and say "wow, this guy was there in the good old days",
That should be motivating enough :)

The same goes for Hamster Croustillant doing his Basic games, and the folks at S8-Dev doing great programs no one is commenting on yet.
History takes a lot of time to construct.
  • Site Admin
The hard life of a lowly programmer
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 3:11 pm
> Unfortunately, it is something to cope with that many people don't really care about anything going on, they just download the stuff and hide away :)

True... when I think about it, I've never actually mailed someone about software, good or bad (except when I registered Meka :o). I think the thing about Meka is, people want to register, even though the unregistered version is just as good. Well, getting new rom releases immediately is nice too...

> I hardly get one compliment message about Meka a day (the rest being ROM request and asking how to play with a joypad), but that's not a real problem you know: just remember you are doing this for yourself and you won't be deceived of anything!

Right again! I don't think I stayed up till 2 this morning for the benefit of some anonymous users out there, I did it for the dubious thrill of programming something good that works.

Oh yeah, and BTW, Meka is really great (is Massage 1.0 still "Delayed. Coming VERY soon."?), even if it does act funny with my graphics drivers, when's Maze Hunter 3D coming out, how do I get my SideWinder to work? That's today's complement :o)

> And think about the people who will get your program in a SMS archive in ten years and say "wow, this guy was there in the good old days",

Here's hoping... of course, in 10 years people will need PC emulators to run Windows 95 on their Borg implants...

> The same goes for Hamster Croustillant doing his Basic games, and the folks at S8-Dev doing great programs no one is commenting on yet.

Alright then, I'm off to S8-Dev to see what's happening...

Maxim
ben
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 2:39 am
> Just a quick reminder of my earlier post about my SMS rom checker/renamer, because there's been no interest (except for a mail from Zoop :o). So, if you missed it, please look.

being the total SMS nut i am, i checked it out straight away the other day... but unfortunately as soon as i double clicked on the icon i got an error, so i simply deleted it.

after reading your latest post, and being a programmer myself i thought you would probably appreciate some feedback, and hence my bug report.

APPLICATION ERROR
Exception EDatabaseError in module SMSCHE~1.EXE at 001:2787.
An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland DataBase engine. Error $2108

ben

• Site Admin
Re: crash
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 2:34 pm
> APPLICATION ERROR
> Exception EDatabaseError in module SMSCHE~1.EXE at 001:2787.
> An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland DataBase engine. Error $2108

Thanks ben... That's a stupid error - my program has no database stuff in it. Anyone else get it? Tell me here: maxim@mwos.cjb.net
  • Site Admin
Ain't it the truth?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 10:53 pm
> > Unfortunately, it is something to cope with that many people don't really care about anything going on, they just download the stuff and hide away :)

> True... when I think about it, I've never actually mailed someone about software, good or bad (except when I registered Meka :o). I think the thing about Meka is, people want to register, even though the unregistered version is just as good. Well, getting new rom releases immediately is nice too...

Funny thing, now I'm a registered Meka user, and I've never used the primary site to get a new release. In fact, I think the only timeI ever used it was to see just how bad Back to the Future 2 (or 3?) was, since Zoop had said it was the worst SMS game ever.
But I like knowing that I -can-.

> > I hardly get one compliment message about Meka a day (the rest being ROM request and asking how to play with a joypad), but that's not a real problem you know: just remember you are doing this for yourself and you won't be deceived of anything!

Yeah, I rarely mail shareware/freeware authors with compliments on their software. Even with the occasional coorespondance with Zoop I don't know if I've ever said anything nice about it.

(Maybe I'm just jealous, Meka was the SMS emulator I always wanted to write, back when it was Massage, MasterGear, or nothin') (there's an indirect compliment for you).

I think I generally don't want to mail an author about their software if I don't have something particularly original or important to say besides "Your program's cool!" Yet, as an occasional programmer I like all the feedback I can get. What a hypocrite I am.

> Right again! I don't think I stayed up till 2 this morning for the benefit of some anonymous users out there, I did it for the dubious thrill of programming something good that works.

Yep. Sometimes you write something because it just needs to exist.

> > And think about the people who will get your program in a SMS archive in ten years and say "wow, this guy was there in the good old days",

I haven't had a use for such a tool, and I haven't had a lot of PC time to spare looking at new stuff lately (great big SIGHHhhh). But I think it's the sort of thing that really -should- be out there, and I'm glad someone's working on it.
I'll take a look at it sometime soon and give you a report.

> Here's hoping... of course, in 10 years people will need PC emulators to run Windows 95 on their Borg implants...

> > The same goes for Hamster Croustillant doing his Basic games, and the folks at S8-Dev doing great programs no one is commenting on yet.

At least I got 'mad props' from Consolemu.

> Alright then, I'm off to S8-Dev to see what's happening...

Atta boy! The grass is greener over there, you know.
  • Site Admin
...fixed (nt)
Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:06 pm

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!