Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Has anyone tried the new version of calypso?

Reply to topic
Naflign
Has anyone tried the new version of calypso?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 9:38 pm
Has anyone tried the gui version of calypso? So far with all the games I've tried loading, it just crashs, even though the command line version can play the games I've tried.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 2:14 am
> Has anyone tried the gui version of calypso? So far with all the games I've tried loading, it just crashs, even though the command line version can play the games I've tried.

Yup . Both versions work fine but the gui version is 20 fps slower on my pc ( a crappy overdrive 180mhz mmx centauthauls !?!? ) . Both work fine , for a newly realased emu . But the sound... arghhhhh! . Sound is really important to me , so i`l let this one blossom some more . Anyway , i`m gona use MEKA ( tm ) ... ( hehe ) for the time being... P.S. and probably for a long time , since it is THE best . No no , this is no plug , i think meka is the nesticle of the sega master...
Jose Manuel Delgado
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 9:23 am
Hello :)

Relating to the sound: have you try digital or Adlib sound? Digital sound it's not best because it's a 8 bit, and correct voice emulation requiere 16 bits. Adlib sound is good, but you nedd a true Adlib compatible card, like SB16.

Relating to the crash: it's a GO32 crash, a Calypso Error, what?. Why don't you send me A BUG REPORT?

Saludos,
Jose Manueld

No Offence to Zoop, but...
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 9:28 am
No, I think that Massage is the "Nesticle of the SMS" because every emulator author tries to surpass it.
Massage can run some games at aroun 180% speed on my P133/32MB RAM at frameskip 1/1, whereas Meka almost never reaches 100% on frameskip 1/1.
But Meka does sound way better than Massage.
Does anybody know if and when a new Massage will be released?
~unfnknblvbl
Re: No Offence to Zoop, but...
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 2:23 pm
> No, I think that Massage is the "Nesticle of the SMS" because every emulator author tries to surpass it.
> Massage can run some games at aroun 180% speed on my P133/32MB RAM at frameskip 1/1, whereas Meka almost never reaches 100% on frameskip 1/1.

Try to enable color approximation and you'll notice a difference. Just the same with BrSMS. which is not SO fast that people say (yes it is still fast :) after you have enabled all features that are always enabled in Meka (true line-per-line engine and color approximation).
A bug report..
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 2:24 pm
> Hello :)

> Relating to the sound: have you try digital or Adlib sound? Digital sound it's not best because it's a 8 bit, and correct voice emulation requiere 16 bits. Adlib sound is good, but you nedd a true Adlib compatible card, like SB16.

> Relating to the crash: it's a GO32 crash, a Calypso Error, what?. Why don't you send me A BUG REPORT?

I've got an error when opening my SMS roms directory, but it doesnt happens on the GAMEGEAR, SG1000 or whatever directory. Maybe that's because there are too many files? (there are 350 files and a dozen of directorys)
Jose Manuel Delgado Mendi
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 4:41 pm
The same is for Calypso.

Calypso uses a line-per-line rendering engine, wich support pallete raster efects and scroll ind both x axis. It uses a cache because tiles are stored in memory like in the SNES, not by color, rather than in a strange format, which is slow to decoder. I don´t know exactly what Massage do, but it uses triky.

Saludos,

Jose Manuel Delgado

Jose Manuel
Re: A bug report..
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 4:45 pm
> > Hello :)

> > Relating to the sound: have you try digital or Adlib sound? Digital sound it's not best because it's a 8 bit, and correct voice emulation requiere 16 bits. Adlib sound is good, but you nedd a true Adlib compatible card, like SB16.

> > Relating to the crash: it's a GO32 crash, a Calypso Error, what?. Why don't you send me A BUG REPORT?

> I've got an error when opening my SMS roms directory, but it doesnt happens on the GAMEGEAR, SG1000 or whatever directory. Maybe that's because there are too many files? (there are 350 files and a dozen of directorys)

It crashes, or emit and error, or hangs the system. It´s improtant that you tell me the exact action of the emulator.

I´ll work on it soon.

Thanks.

Saludos,

JM Delgado Mendinueta

PD: What do you think about the emulated voices?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 7:44 pm
> > I've got an error when opening my SMS roms directory, but it doesnt happens on the GAMEGEAR, SG1000 or whatever directory. Maybe that's because there are too many files? (there are 350 files and a dozen of directorys)
> It crashes, or emit and error, or hangs the system. It´s improtant that you tell me the exact action of the emulator.

Sorry I wasn't at home when posting the previous message. The error is:

Calypso Build 010
Error:
_ No se puede abrir 'SMS'
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 11:48 pm
> No, I think that Massage is the "Nesticle of the SMS" because every emulator author tries to surpass it.
> Massage can run some games at aroun 180% speed on my P133/32MB RAM at frameskip 1/1, whereas Meka almost never reaches 100% on frameskip 1/1.
> But Meka does sound way better than Massage.
> Does anybody know if and when a new Massage will be released?
> ~unfnknblvbl

Like you said , meka sounds better than massage , a big point for me as i am an " audiophile " ( or , i fancy myself to be one... ) . Meka also has variable screen size , wich is a plus for me ( try 320 x 240 , it`s better than 320 x 200 ) . Meka has scanlines , a feature that i use on allmost all of my emulators and that i hapen to like ( meka also has eagle (tm) effects that i absolutely hate !!! ) , oh well . Meka doesn`t get 100% speed/frames ? the human eyes only catch 24 images by seconds so 60 images by sceonds... I get about 46 frames by seconds in meka with games that use fm sounds , thats enough for me...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 12:00 am
> Hello :)

> Relating to the sound: have you try digital or Adlib sound? Digital sound it's not best because it's a 8 bit, and correct voice emulation requiere 16 bits. Adlib sound is good, but you nedd a true Adlib compatible card, like SB16.

> Relating to the crash: it's a GO32 crash, a Calypso Error, what?. Why don't you send me A BUG REPORT?

>
> Saludos,
> Jose Manueld

Hi . Let`s get something straigt : Your emu works fine , has nice fetures but since it is new , it isen`t optimized yet... as for the sound , i have an ess audiodrive onboard ( compatible sound blaster ) and the sound works fine , just not at the same level of meka but then again , it`s a new emu . i get 24 fps with the gui version . It`s ok , but i`m sure you`l work on it . Keep up the good work , it`s comming along nicely ! A little request : can you put a language selection in calypso ? like spanish/english ? i think it would be cool ( usefull to ) ...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 5:09 am
> Try to enable color approximation and you'll notice a difference. Just the same with BrSMS. which is not SO fast that people say (yes it is still fast :) after you have enabled all features that are always enabled in Meka (true line-per-line engine and color approximation).

I do all the time.
In fact, when I use Massage, the first thing I do is load a ROM.
Then I turn white noise off
Then I turn color approximation on
Then I cut the slowdown untill I get it running at about 150% speed.
Then I play the game.
I've never noticed any speed difference with color approximation on or off.
The only difference that I have seen is the screen has black edges if it is turned on.
But I still use Meka most, because of its' GUI
~unfnknblvbl
No offense, hamster, but...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 6:25 am
> Like you said , meka sounds better than massage , a big point for me as i am an " audiophile " ( or , i fancy myself to be one... ) . Meka also has variable screen size , wich is a plus for me ( try 320 x 240 , it`s better than 320 x 200 ) . Meka has scanlines , a feature that i use on allmost all of my emulators and that i hapen to like ( meka also has eagle (tm) effects that i absolutely hate !!! ) , oh well . Meka doesn`t get 100% speed/frames ? the human eyes only catch 24 images by seconds so 60 images by sceonds... I get about 46 frames by seconds in meka with games that use fm sounds , thats enough for me...

...I think you might be a little confused about the framerate thing.

15 fps is about the minimum required to trick the brain into perceiving motion, and 24 fps (film speed) is more fluid, creating a more realistic image. It is possible to distingush between film speed and that of video (30 fps, U.S.), and it is even further possible to notice the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. Even more to the extreme, some people have eyes that are so sensitive that they can see incandescent light bulbs flickering on and off 120 times per second (U.S. voltage).

On average, though, most people can not tell the difference between framerates above about 75 fps or so. That's why computer people reccomend that monitors be set to a refresh rate of at least 75, to eliminate flicker. The flicker is still there, but most people's eyes aren't good enough to see it.

This is why people boasting about 100+ fps ratings on games are pretty lame. Once you get up to 75, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Sorry if I sounded preachy. ;)

Paul
No prob...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 3:51 pm

> ...I think you might be a little confused about the framerate thing.

> 15 fps is about the minimum required to trick the brain into perceiving motion, and 24 fps (film speed) is more fluid, creating a more realistic image. It is possible to distingush between film speed and that of video (30 fps, U.S.), and it is even further possible to notice the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. Even more to the extreme, some people have eyes that are so sensitive that they can see incandescent light bulbs flickering on and off 120 times per second (U.S. voltage).

> On average, though, most people can not tell the difference between framerates above about 75 fps or so. That's why computer people reccomend that monitors be set to a refresh rate of at least 75, to eliminate flicker. The flicker is still there, but most people's eyes aren't good enough to see it.

> This is why people boasting about 100+ fps ratings on games are pretty lame. Once you get up to 75, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

> Sorry if I sounded preachy. ;)

> Paul

Not at all . My point was that at 46 fps , meka runs fine... Wich is what i want in an emulator , that it runs fine ! everything else is just smoke and mirrors... and anyway , sms games will not win animation awards ! when a character walks ( on average ) they have about 3 to 5 frames of animation ( or something like that ) so , a gazilion fps... i don`t think so...
jose Manuel Delgado
Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 6:36 pm
Thanks. I´ll work on it soon.

If you discover another BUG, please send me.

Thanks another.

Jose Manuel

EXE:Danni
Re: Sound in Meka
Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 1999 8:40 am
> But Meka does sound way better than Massage.
> Does anybody know if and when a new Massage will be released?
> ~unfnknblvbl

I must say I disagree. I have a (crappy) SoundBlaster 16 ISA card, and Meka doesn't play the music especially accuratelyl, when compared to BrSMS for example.

I should know, I just switch try it on my real SMS, and it's easy to hear the difference.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 5:48 pm
> I must say I disagree. I have a (crappy) SoundBlaster 16 ISA card, and Meka doesn't play the music especially accuratelyl, when compared to BrSMS for example.
> I should know, I just switch try it on my real SMS, and it's easy to hear the difference.

Probably you got a 50 hz SMS and things are slower?
EXE:Danni
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 1:19 pm

> > I must say I disagree. I have a (crappy) SoundBlaster 16 ISA card, and Meka doesn't play the music especially accuratelyl, when compared to BrSMS for example.
> > I should know, I just switch try it on my real SMS, and it's easy to hear the difference.

> Probably you got a 50 hz SMS and things are slower?

I have a PAL MegaDrive II with a Master System converter II, but I think the games sounded the same with my old PAL MasterSystem (which I sold - stupid me). Dunno if it is 50 Hz, but the difference in sound is kind of like Meka has "cleaner" sound, and not kind of the "hissing" low quality radio sound the real SMS (should?) sound like.

H-Clone
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 8:32 pm
> > Probably you got a 50 hz SMS and things are slower?

I'd never thought about that. I thought the Phantasy Star music was punchier on Emulation, and it would explain why the Spellcaster theme doesn't plod so much.

As for the music differences, it could be that the game runs in FM. Playing Spellcaster for the first time in Meka was *very* different to the non-FM Massage.

H-Clone

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!