SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - stop telling lies

Reply to topic
Ricardo Bittencourt
stop telling lies
Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 1999 2:19 pm
> Yeah I know. It's a dynamic palette overflow detection - in other words, nothing that you should care about.

Unless, of course, you care about perfect emulation.
This error means Meka couldn't display all the colors required by the game.

> Meka implement raster palette effects the dynamic way, so that only 64 colors are used to emulate them why BrSMS need to use a buggy 32000 colors mode for it.

Why is my 32000 colors buggy?
It's not my fault that Meka can't display all the colors and BrSMS can.
As a matter of fact, there's NO WAY to display all the 512 game gear colors on 256-color display,
so that's why I use the 15-color mode.
I can make a game gear rom display all the 512 colors at same time, if you want to see it,
but of course you will need BrSMS for that.

Ricardo Bittencourt

Raster Palette Effect Emulation (nicer subject)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 1999 9:06 pm
> Unless, of course, you care about perfect emulation.
> This error means Meka couldn't display all the colors required by the game.

Right for some games that truly act a weird way with the palette.

> Why is my 32000 colors buggy?

Actually, it's not *your* 32000 color mode that is buggy. It's 15-bit color modes in general, many video cards do not support them correctly.
Well, last time I tried BrSMS with that feature (for.. I don't remember, most probably Super Monaco GP 2) I had very weird colors.

> It's not my fault that Meka can't display all the colors and BrSMS can.
> As a matter of fact, there's NO WAY to display all the 512 game gear colors on 256-color display,

Theorically right, but in fact no games would have all of them displayed on the same time.
That's why a dynamic color management do the work nicely (and faster than a hicolor mode)

> so that's why I use the 15-color mode.

Then I suggest using a 16-bit mode and it'll rules ^_^

> I can make a game gear rom display all the 512 colors at same time, if you want to see it,
> but of course you will need BrSMS for that.

I do have all versions of BrSMS still unzipped :)
Blizzard
Re: Raster Palette Effect Emulation (nicer subject)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 3:16 am
> > Unless, of course, you care about perfect emulation.
> > This error means Meka couldn't display all the colors required by the game.

> Right for some games that truly act a weird way with the palette.

> > Why is my 32000 colors buggy?

> Actually, it's not *your* 32000 color mode that is buggy. It's 15-bit color modes in general, many video cards do not support them correctly.
> Well, last time I tried BrSMS with that feature (for.. I don't remember, most probably Super Monaco GP 2) I had very weird colors.

Same over here as well. 16bit is a more standard mode. Move to this mode and Zoop can't call it buggy anymore :)

> > I can make a game gear rom display all the 512 colors at same time, if you want to see it,
> > but of course you will need BrSMS for that.
> I do have all versions of BrSMS still unzipped :)

Cool, go for it. Need more public domain SMS games.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 4:06 pm
> > > Unless, of course, you care about perfect emulation.
> > > This error means Meka couldn't display all the colors required by the game.

> > Right for some games that truly act a weird way with the palette.

> > > Why is my 32000 colors buggy?

> > Actually, it's not *your* 32000 color mode that is buggy. It's 15-bit color modes in general, many video cards do not support them correctly.
> > Well, last time I tried BrSMS with that feature (for.. I don't remember, most probably Super Monaco GP 2) I had very weird colors.

> Same over here as well. 16bit is a more standard mode. Move to this mode and Zoop can't call it buggy anymore :)

even 16-bit mode is weird on my card... i always end up using systems with shoddy VESA (2+) support... my current computer (with a creative labs graphics blaster exxtreme value.. ran me $25 or so six months ago) has never been happy giving me any VESA modes but 640 x 480 x 16 banked, and the free GB Exxtreme-specific version of SDD they gave me caused more harm than good.
As usual, the win32 display driver and directx driver work flawlessly or near flawless for the usual range of resolutions that I'd love to have in DOS...

...which brings me to and idea that I suspect might deserve a thread all to itself:

I'm surprised that nobody (to my knowledge) has endevoured to write a dos-wrapper (or emulator, or... I'm not sure what I'd classify it as..) that would remap VESA support, video card access, and sound blaster through directx drivers, so that video and sound cards that have shoddy dos drivers (most of them, these days) could be used to their maximum potential.

Sitting here and thinking about it, maybe I understand why it's never been done... maybe the sound blaster support is a bit too much to ask, intercepting port access would take no less than some sort of dynamic recompiling system (although the 'recompiling' part isn't so difficult now is it? hmm, 80x86 -> 80x86 minus port access).

So far as I know (I never dealt with it directly in my dos programming days) VESA support doesn't require any port access..
However, I would guess it does allow free access to video memory with the pointers suppied by the driver, right? DirectX gives you direct video access, but only while the display memory is locked, and that should only be for a brief period of time..

Oh hell, I'm in over my head again. I just wanted to use these meka and brsms with better video support and 44.1khz sound reliably (I also get stuck with crappy sound cards which won't go over 22khz with dos drivers.. ever. of course I only paid $7 for the last one, which declared on the box, in broken english, that it was Windows 97 Compatible).

> > > I can make a game gear rom display all the 512 colors at same time, if you want to see it,
> > > but of course you will need BrSMS for that.
> > I do have all versions of BrSMS still unzipped :)

> Cool, go for it. Need more public domain SMS games.

Yeah, I came up with a few simple sms demos that used a lot of raster tricks, and brsms ran a few of them that meka didn't, although I haven't tried it on newer mekas...

I'd have gone further with sms coding but I've gotten spoiled on C and on cpu's that can do multiplication by themselves. Lazy man.

BTW, thank/damn you to Ricardo Bittencourt and Zoop/Omar(is that two people or one?) for giving us the best emulators and continuing to innovate. ('damn' because I wanted to write the defacto best and most loved SMS emulator, but I never did it because I'm lazy and stupid... well, maybe I can write the best win32 sms emulator if I hurry).
Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 5:39 pm
> ...which brings me to and idea that I suspect might deserve a thread all to itself:

> I'm surprised that nobody (to my knowledge) has endevoured to write a dos-wrapper (or emulator, or... I'm not sure what I'd classify it as..) that would remap VESA support, video card access, and sound blaster through directx drivers, so that video and sound cards that have shoddy dos drivers (most of them, these days) could be used to their maximum potential.

> Sitting here and thinking about it, maybe I understand why it's never been done... maybe the sound blaster support is a bit too much to ask, intercepting port access would take no less than some sort of dynamic recompiling system (although the 'recompiling' part isn't so difficult now is it? hmm, 80x86 -> 80x86 minus port access).

> So far as I know (I never dealt with it directly in my dos programming days) VESA support doesn't require any port access..
> However, I would guess it does allow free access to video memory with the pointers suppied by the driver, right? DirectX gives you direct video access, but only while the display memory is locked, and that should only be for a brief period of time..

> Oh hell, I'm in over my head again. I just wanted to use these meka and brsms with better video support and 44.1khz sound reliably (I also get stuck with crappy sound cards which won't go over 22khz with dos drivers.. ever. of course I only paid $7 for the last one, which declared on the box, in broken english, that it was Windows 97 Compatible).

>
> > > > I can make a game gear rom display all the 512 colors at same time, if you want to see it,
> Yeah, I came up with a few simple sms demos that used a lot of raster tricks, and brsms ran a few of them that meka didn't, although I haven't tried it on newer mekas...

Heh! Why didn't you release your demos? The Development section is awaiting for them :)

> I'd have gone further with sms coding but I've gotten spoiled on C and on cpu's that can do multiplication by themselves. Lazy man.

> BTW, thank/damn you to Ricardo Bittencourt and Zoop/Omar(is that two people or one?)

It's one person: Omar Cornut = Zoop
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 12:37 am

> > Yeah, I came up with a few simple sms demos that used a lot of raster tricks, and brsms ran a few of them that meka didn't, although I haven't tried it on newer mekas...

> Heh! Why didn't you release your demos? The Development section is awaiting for them :)

Maybe I will, if I can get them working again. I left off several months ago with only a work-in-progress version that doesn't really work anymore, and damn me I didn't comment anything whatsoever.

> It's one person: Omar Cornut = Zoop

Thought so.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 8:01 pm
> > Heh! Why didn't you release your demos? The Development section is awaiting for them :)
> Maybe I will, if I can get them working again. I left off several months ago with only a work-in-progress version that doesn't really work anymore, and damn me I didn't comment anything whatsoever.

Who cares if they work? Go and release the damn things :P
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!