Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Choosing a dodge roll gesture

Reply to topic
Choosing a dodge roll gesture
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:54 am
I'm debating porting an open world exploration platformer (sometimes called a M*troidvania) to SMS. It was originally designed for another platform with buttons lets call them A, B, C, and Start. It binds C to jump, B to fire the current weapon, A to a dodge roll, and Start to open a menu for viewing the map and inventory. Gestures including a direction include Up Up to reload, direction+B to aim (like in Contra Hard Corps), Down+B to fire forward while crouching, Down Down to lock into crouch for aiming without moving, and C+Up to grab a ledge.

As a convenience, I would provide this same layout to users of a Mega Drive/Genesis controller. That leaves how to map everything to the original 2-button controller. Some of them look straightforward: attack on button 1, jump on button 2, and menu on the Pause button on the console. That leaves the roll. Suggestions have included forward+2+1, down then forward+2 (like a hadouken motion), double-tap forward, or even pressing button 2 on the second controller with your toe. Which of these sounds least impractical? What do other SMS games do?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:03 am
I’d vote for double-forward.
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:29 am
Another alternative if autofire is possible is to do similar to what Power Strike II did and allow the player to choose what button 1 does and have autofire on. Then button 1 could be pause, dodge roll, or something else.
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:11 am
I also vote for double forward
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:08 pm
Double-tap forward for the win. It’s the most intuitive of the options and fits nicely with the other double-tap moves.
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 pm
I'd love to see a game to use two SMS pads in a creative way - tied together so that second player pad is below the first one facing down?
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:24 pm
Hm, double tapping a direction sounds good.

However, if platforming is more frequent than shooting, may I suggest "diagonal down left + jump" to roll left and "diagonal down right + jump" to roll right ? This would be to avoid potentially dodge-rolling into a pit while just trying to adjust distance by tapping a direction repeatedly.

I am curious to know if that's a move that has to be used often or not, and if the direction of the roll is locked in while rolling.

I am aware that my suggestion could potentially be annoying if you can fire diagonally while jumping.
When shooting from the ground and then jumping, there's a chance you would shoot diagonal down and jump (which would cause the player to roll) instead of jump and shoot diagonal diagonal down (which would cause the player to first jump and then shoot diagonally).
But then you could make it so that you have to stop firing to be able to dodge roll but I am unsure how well that would be received...
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:37 pm
sverx wrote
I'd love to see a game to use two SMS pads in a creative way - tied together so that second player pad is below the first one facing down?

That could be the basis for a Robotron / Smash TV clone.
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:11 am
haroldoop wrote
sverx wrote

That could be the basis for a Robotron / Smash TV clone.

Like the Nes version that used two pads at the same time
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:54 pm
I was originally on the double-tap train, especially since you said you already have a double-tap down to go prone, but after playing some King of Fighters I might consider how good 1+2 plus stick direction can feel. In the late 90s KoF titles, hitting A+B does the dodge roll and it feels great. It may mean some input buffering, however.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!