Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Question about Pro Action Replay

Reply to topic
Question about Pro Action Replay
Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 am
A few years back I paid way too much money on eBay to get a Pro Action Replay, because I'd always really wanted one. Anyway, I never actually got around to using it, because I haven't played video games as much in recent years.

Anyway, I'm trying to test out a copy of Operation Wolf I picked up from Brazil, to look for glitches after the second level, which I can't get to. So I figured I'd bust out the Action Replay and put on the invincibility code so I could check.

Problem is, I think my Pro Action Replay is broken. There's a toggle switch on the side and it has three positions: down, center, and up. On my American model 1, down and center go straight to the game. Up doesn't load anything at all. On my Japanese Master System, all three positions just load the game straight up.

Having never used the Action Replay before, I'm assuming it's supposed to load a menu first where you can put in your cheat codes before loading up the game, much like the Game Genie does.

I tried checking the instruction manual, but it's all in German.

Does anyone have experience with one of these and can give me any useful information?
Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:20 pm
The King of the Mods wrote
A few years back I paid way too much money on eBay to get a Pro Action Replay, because I'd always really wanted one. Anyway, I never actually got around to using it, because I haven't played video games as much in recent years.

Anyway, I'm trying to test out a copy of Operation Wolf I picked up from Brazil, to look for glitches after the second level, which I can't get to. So I figured I'd bust out the Action Replay and put on the invincibility code so I could check.

Problem is, I think my Pro Action Replay is broken. There's a toggle switch on the side and it has three positions: down, center, and up. On my American model 1, down and center go straight to the game. Up doesn't load anything at all. On my Japanese Master System, all three positions just load the game straight up.

Having never used the Action Replay before, I'm assuming it's supposed to load a menu first where you can put in your cheat codes before loading up the game, much like the Game Genie does.

Does anyone have experience with one of these and can give me any useful information?

Hi !
It's pretty simple
Lower position if for searching codes
Middle position is deactivate AR
Upper position is to activate codes previously entered

I don't remember if you need to reset the game to enter any code
I think at start up you should have the 4 lines of code you can enter before having title screen of your game.
Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:26 pm
yogi_om wrote

Hi !
It's pretty simple
Lower position if for searching codes
Middle position is deactivate AR
Upper position is to activate codes previously entered

I don't remember if you need to reset the game to enter any code
I think at start up you should have the 4 lines of code you can enter before having title screen of your game.

So when I start up the system with the switch set to the bottom, I should see a special screen for entering the codes, right? Because all I'm seeing is the normal game screen.
Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:59 pm
Yes, when you start up the system with the switch set to the bottom, you should see a special screen for entering the codes with a few options. You can search for a code or introduce one if you already have it.

After you input the code, the Action Replay will prompt you for a fast or slow reset. Then, the game starts and you only need to move the switch to the top position for the code to be activated. Sometimes you may need to deactivate the cheat; for instance, in some games, after completing a level where time is counted for points, having unlimited time will prevent the game from accurately counting it. In such cases, you must move the switch to the center position. Then, when the next level starts, you can move the switch back to the top position to reactivate the code.
Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:35 pm
Aranya wrote
Yes, when you start up the system with the switch set to the bottom, you should see a special screen for entering the codes with a few options. You can search for a code or introduce one if you already have it.

After you input the code, the Action Replay will prompt you for a fast or slow reset. Then, the game starts and you only need to move the switch to the top position for the code to be activated. Sometimes you may need to deactivate the cheat; for instance, in some games, after completing a level where time is counted for points, having unlimited time will prevent the game from accurately counting it. In such cases, you must move the switch to the center position. Then, when the next level starts, you can move the switch back to the top position to reactivate the code.

Mine must be busted. When I start it up with the switch in the bottom position, there's no special screen. The game just starts up as normal.

Unless maybe there's compatability issues I'm not aware of? I was using my American Model 1 Master System with Snail Maze installed. I'm under the impression these Action Replays were sold in Europe where pretty much only the Model 2 was in use.
Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:07 am
Not sure about the master system AR, but on my GG AR the switch was faulty and I had to spray some contact cleaner and flip it a few times to get it working.
Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:14 pm
I use my AR reproduction (Apocalypse) with a Sega Master System I PAL. Here in Europe, the first model sold very well, and it is not difficult to find one. The second model is cheaper than the first one, of course, because it is more common.
Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:09 pm
Aranya wrote

Mine must be busted. When I start it up with the switch in the bottom position, there's no special screen. The game just starts up as normal.

Unless maybe there's compatability issues I'm not aware of? I was using my American Model 1 Master System with Snail Maze installed. I'm under the impression these Action Replays were sold in Europe where pretty much only the Model 2 was in use.

Uggh... No, there is just an unusual procedure for using the cart and it's not like a game genie where the menu is there when you fire it up.. but anyways pay attention cause this is how you roll -

1. Put your game in the PAR and start it up with the switch in the middle position first...
2. Then at the games title screen (after the Sega logo screen) flip the switch in the down position and THEN PRESS PAUSE TO ACTIVATE THE MENU, after you're done in the menu go to Return to game, select Fast or Slow restart... (I always pick fast)
3. Next you'll be back at the games title screen again, now flip the switch in the up position to activate the cheats...
you can flip the switch back to the middle or down position to deactivate the cheats

but yeah.. middle is bypass, down is activate PAR, up is activate codes and pause button is to activate the PAR's menu after the switch has been moved to down ..but the switch needs to be in the middle first before it all gets turned on
(that's the shorter summary of it)

Hope that helps!
Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:20 pm
Wayek wrote
Aranya wrote

Uggh... No, there is just an unusual procedure for using the cart and it's not like a game genie where the menu is there when you fire it up.. but anyways pay attention cause this is how you roll -

1. Put your game in the PAR and start it up with the switch in the middle position first...
2. Then at the games title screen (after the Sega logo screen) flip the switch in the down position and THEN PRESS PAUSE TO ACTIVATE THE MENU, after you're done in the menu go to Return to game, select Fast or Slow restart... (I always pick fast)
3. Next you'll be back at the games title screen again, now flip the switch in the up position to activate the cheats...
you can flip the switch back to the middle or down position to deactivate the cheats

but yeah.. middle is bypass, down is activate PAR, up is activate codes and pause button is to activate the PAR's menu after the switch has been moved to down ..but the switch needs to be in the middle first before it all gets turned on
(that's the shorter summary of it)

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for the information. That's such a convoluted set of steps I'm sure I never would have figured it out on my own. Certainly not with an instruction manual that's only written in German. I'll give the thing another try when I get home.
Post Posted: Today at 1:23 am
Here is a link to a not so great but mostly readable scan of the instruction manual in English. Details are all there on how to use the Trainer to make your own codes too - https://shinobiman.proboards.com/thread/5254/par-instructions-scan-english - to make your own codes you'll need to be bouncing the switch and hitting the pause button alot...it's a tedious process but it works. I just made a 100% energy code for Return of the Sinister Six a few days ago cause there isn't any documented apparently
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!