Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Is this a real white Game Gear?

Reply to topic
Is this a real white Game Gear?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 pm
Hi all, coming to this forum for an unusual question!
I just got my hands on an unusual Game Gear, it has a very strange setup that I cannot make sense of!
- It’s a white Game Gear in working order (see picture, volume is quite low and screen is washed off).
- It came in a box meant for a black Game Gear, with a price tag of $239.
- The power supply is really odd, coming with a battery pack and an external supply labeled "GP."
- There are several games that seem to be old, unofficial cartridges with multiple games that you can switch by turning the console on and off.

I did a few Google search and found that the white game gear existed but was a very limited release (I cannot put the link due to forum restriction). But there are also copycat with aftermarket white case.

My main question is how to find if it’s an original white GG or not?

It seems very old and has a lot of wear and tear marks. I found an interesting post here on decrypting the serial number of the Game Gear, it’s seems to be a very early production batch (B10029223 Factory B ; 1 for 1991 ; production batch 0 ; 29223th GG to be made in that batch).

Thanks in advance for your help to solve this mistery!
IMG_0992.jpeg (4.08 MB)
GG and accessories
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg (982.26 KB)
It works
IMG_0994.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg (1.36 MB)
Serial Number
IMG_0995.jpeg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:46 am
That’s a third party battery pack (almost certainly dead) and charger, and pirate games. There’s definite hints that this has Hong Kong origins with the Chinese test on the carts and the battery pack manual in English from a HK maker.

The system itself looks plausible to me, and it’s quite possible the box is not the one it originally came with. If you were to open it up there would probably be dates inside the plastic shell which would confirm its age.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm
For what it is worth, my previous GG-White had those serial numbers:
- B11001349
- B11002762
- B11005192
And I have two black ones with B10xxxxxx numbers.
But it doesn't necessarily means that the regular GG-White batch from Japan never used B10xxx numbers.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:37 pm
It's off the topic but I'm just looking at that Game Gear box and realizing that isn't very good. Why is it promoting Alex Kidd and Miracle, which wasn't (officially) on Game Gear and especially Cyberball, when the latter isn't even on Sega 8-bit hardware at all?
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm
KingMike wrote
It's off the topic but I'm just looking at that Game Gear box and realizing that isn't very good. Why is it promoting Alex Kidd and Miracle, which wasn't (officially) on Game Gear and especially Cyberball, when the latter isn't even on Sega 8-bit hardware at all?

The Genesis version of Moonwalker is also shown if you look real close.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm
Bock wrote
For what it is worth, my previous GG-White had those serial numbers:
- B11001349
- B11002762
- B11005192
And I have two black ones with B10xxxxxx numbers.
But it doesn't necessarily means that the regular GG-White batch from Japan never used B10xxx numbers.

Thanks quite interesting to know that you have already these models in hands! I would you know if there are any details that I can check to differentiate an original one with a copycat?
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 pm
I think the amount of wear and tear is enough to show that's an original white shell and not a reproduction. Repro shells also don't really bother with the serial number labels.

You might also want to get it recapped ASAP, that will fix the issues you're having with the screen and audio volume.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!