Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG-1000 Model 1 Voltage Regulator & Controller Questions

Reply to topic
SG-1000 Model 1 Voltage Regulator & Controller Questions
Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:43 pm
Hello all - I'm back and more inquisitive than ever.

I finally got a Model 1 SG-1000 that was listed as not working.
Thankfully, it does work...mostly. But, I have some technical questions I'd like some help with.

1. The 7805 voltage regulator does not have a heat sink. It's just kinda floating there. Looks almost exactly like the one in GameSack's tear down: https://youtu.be/RlSBNIKE4SY?si=XtJA50xb0VRDn5Kh&t=84 - hopefully that link can work - except his 7805 appears to have a small back plate heat sink on it - which mine does not.

Any advice on where to get a good, suitable heatsink for the 7805?
The model II SG-1000s have a pretty sizeable heat sink - which I assume was the plan for Model 1s as well.

2. The Joystick does not work properly.
Namely, the UP direction does not work.

Looking at the internals of the joystick, there appears to be a thin strip of metal covering a round metal contact of some sort.
Any idea as to what these metal contacts are called - and if it's possible to source a replacement? Same for the thin metal strip that covers the metal contact.

All in all, it's a fascinating little console. Much different - and more old-school - than any I've worked on in the past.
SG-1000 Model 1 Voltage Regulator & Controller Questions
Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:01 am
Heatsinks for the 7805 come in all shapes and sizes. Search for "TO-220 Heatsink" and pick on that fits on the mainboard and inside the case. You'll need some heatsink paste as well.

I'm not sure if there are repro parts for SG-1000 joysticks or not, but it would be a good idea to narrow down where the problem is in case it's not with the contact mechanism, i.e. cable, joints, 74 logic on the mainboard.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:10 am
Glimlocker wrote
Hello all - I'm back and more inquisitive than ever.

I finally got a Model 1 SG-1000 that was listed as not working.
Thankfully, it does work...mostly. But, I have some technical questions I'd like some help with.

1. The 7805 voltage regulator does not have a heat sink. It's just kinda floating there. Looks almost exactly like the one in GameSack's tear down: https://youtu.be/RlSBNIKE4SY?si=XtJA50xb0VRDn5Kh&t=84 - hopefully that link can work - except his 7805 appears to have a small back plate heat sink on it - which mine does not.

Any advice on where to get a good, suitable heatsink for the 7805?
The model II SG-1000s have a pretty sizeable heat sink - which I assume was the plan for Model 1s as well.

2. The Joystick does not work properly.
Namely, the UP direction does not work.

Looking at the internals of the joystick, there appears to be a thin strip of metal covering a round metal contact of some sort.
Any idea as to what these metal contacts are called - and if it's possible to source a replacement? Same for the thin metal strip that covers the metal contact.

All in all, it's a fascinating little console. Much different - and more old-school - than any I've worked on in the past.

I replaced the 7805 linear regulator with a Murata switching replacement which doesn't need any heatsink. The product code is: OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:59 am
siriokds wrote

I replaced the 7805 linear regulator with a Murata switching replacement which doesn't need any heatsink. The product code is: OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C

Ok - this is exactly something I was curious about - I think this would ultimately be the best option in this scenario, as much as I'd like to keep something "stock".

Does anyone know where to get those "metal leaf" contacts found on old game joysticks, such as the SG-1000 joystick?

I saw a Luke Morse video of him replacing them altogether with a lower profile tactile microswitch. However, the microswitches are only rated at 100000 cycles, so that didn't seem to be a great permanent solution.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!