9 22% 22%
10 (Excellent) 5% 5%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2024] Last Escape by chirinea
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 am
Last edited by Maxim on Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
https://www.smspower.org/Music/LastEscape-Homebrew

"You've just installed the virus. As you disconnect, your heart races and you start running, aware that the entire complex will collapse in a few minutes. The guards start chasing you, and you know there's no turning back. That's it, this is your last escape"

Last Escape.mp3 (5.24 MB)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm
I really like this music, it perfectly reflects the description you made of it...
It would have been perfect by the end of Zillion !
Good job !
But how do you go about playing that gritty bass?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm
Atmostfear wrote
I really like this music, it perfectly reflects the description you made of it...
Good job !

Thank you very much! The bass uses the PSG's periodic noise mode to reach lower notes than possible with the square wave channels.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am
Last edited by Atmostfear on Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
chirinea wrote
Atmostfear wrote
Good job !

Thank you very much! The bass uses the PSG's periodic noise mode to reach lower notes than possible with the square wave channels.

Yes, I've noticed that you can reach this type of note with the NOISE channel combined with another channel. But I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. Is there a tutorial that explains how the channels interact with each other? Personally, I work on Deflemask, do you too?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am
Very good track. I imagining hearing this in a game in a difficult sequence and I can almost feel the surge of adrenalin rush my bloodstream.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:57 am
Last edited by chirinea on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atmostfear wrote

Yes, I've noticed that you can reach this type of note with the NOISE channel combined with another channel. But I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. Is there a tutorial that explains how the channels interact with each other? Personally, I work on Deflemask, do you too?

I'm not sure if there is a tutorial, I use Furnace, but as I far as I know you set that the same way in both. There's an effect that you can use in the noise channel that sets it in 4 different modes:

2000: periodic noise, fixed frequencies (C, C#, D)
2001: white noise, fixed frequencies (C, C#, D)
2010: periodic noise, free frequencies
2011: white noise, free frequencies

Whenever you choose the "free frequencies"* mode, you cannot use the Square 3 channel. So if you play a note using the periodic noise in the Noise channel, you have to leave the Square 3 channel empty for the duration of that note.

And that's all there is to it. By carefully jugling notes between those two channels you can achieve interesting results.

*edited
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 pm
chirinea wrote

Whenever you choose the periodic noise mode, you cannot use the Square 3 channel. So if you play a note using the periodic noise in the Noise channel, you have to leave the Square 3 channel empty for the duration of that note.

And that's all there is to it. By carefully jugling notes between those two channels you can achieve interesting results.

Thank you very much for these explanations.
Until now, I've just used the NOISE channel for the drums without ever alternating its functionality.
I'm going to try to use it from now on.
Thanks again Chirinea!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 pm
chirinea wrote
Whenever you choose the periodic noise mode, you cannot use the Square 3 channel. So if you play a note using the periodic noise in the Noise channel, you have to leave the Square 3 channel empty for the duration of that note.

It's not the periodic noise mode, it's the "free frequencies" that matters - it actually means that it's going to use the frequency generator from the 'square 3' channel (this means you could use the periodic noise with the 3 preset frequencies if you wanted...)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 pm
sverx wrote
chirinea wrote

It's not the periodic noise mode, it's the "free frequencies" that matters - it actually means that it's going to use the frequency generator from the 'square 3' channel (this means you could use the periodic noise with the 3 preset frequencies if you wanted...)

Yeah, sorry, I meant the "free frequencies". In this song, for instance, I use it to play the high pitched hi-hat.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm
Great work! It sounds very balanced/good overall. Gotta love that popcorn-ish "arp".
You made very good use of the noise channel. Alternating between bass, hihat and snare, as you just mentioned.

About the noise type switching. An alternative way to set it is using duty macros in the instrument. That way you don't need to use the effect in the pattern.

I just realized 2000 (or duty 0) in noise channel is interesting, but I never actually used it so far. Even though it is only 3 different frequencies of periodic noise, you can still use any frequency in channel 3 at the same time.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm
slogra wrote
Great work! It sounds very balanced/good overall. Gotta love that popcorn-ish "arp".
You made very good use of the noise channel. Alternating between bass, hihat and snare, as you just mentioned.
Thank you, I'm missing you in the Music category this year! The drum/bass groove was the first thing I thought about, the whole song was built on top of it (that's also why it starts with just the drums and bass).

Yeah, with the duty 0 thing you can squeeze a bit more out of the Square 3 channel whenever you're playing those specific 3 notes.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 pm
chirinea wrote
Thank you, I'm missing you in the Music category this year!

I did make 2 Oh No More Lemmings songs, but those are not interesting or polished enough for the competition.
I started working on a song from a Genesis/MD game, which could be competition material, but it's far from finished.
I put the time i had in my hack, and even that is also not really finished :p.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:10 pm
Very good track, lots of depth to this one with that scratchy bassline.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:01 pm
Matt Furniss, is that you?

This is euro chiptune at it's finest, with sound design gritty yet clean, and an arrangement packed yet easy to follow. Will put on when pilfering state secrets, or maybe when I'm rushing to catch the bus.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:36 am
marklincadet wrote
Matt Furniss, is that you?

This is euro chiptune at it's finest, with sound design gritty yet clean, and an arrangement packed yet easy to follow. Will put on when pilfering state secrets, or maybe when I'm rushing to catch the bus.

Wow, after being compared to Matt Furniss I don't even care about the results of the competition! Thank you so much!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!