9 13% 13%
10 (Excellent) 6% 6%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hacks competition 2024] Mônica e a Sereia do Rio by chirinea
Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:53 am
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/WonderBoy-SMS-MonicaEASereiaDoRio-Mod

This graphical hack turns Wonder Boy into a Mônica game based on the movie "Turma da Mônica e a Sereia do Rio" (1987). It also includes the Estrelinha Mágica, a character from the movie "Turma da Mônica e a Estrelinha Mágica" (1988) which was also made into a toy by Tectoy. I made this because I always thought Tectoy should have made a Mônica game out of the first Wonder Boy game too. The back of the box says:

"The beautiful River Mermaid enchants everyone with her beautiful singing! But the king of filth, the terrible Captain Fray, decided to put an end to the singing and kidnapped the poor mermaid! Only Monica can rescue her now! The problem is knowing where Captain Fray took her. Monica will have to explore dense forests, vast oceans, volcanoes, glaciers, and even walk on clouds! And to find Captain Fray, she will need to find all the hidden fairies along the way. Luckily, she won't be alone on this mission. She will have the help of Angel, the Magic Star, and of course, you!

Changes:
Tom Tom was changed to Mônica
The hatchet was changed to Sansão (Samson, Monica's stuffed rabbit)
Tanya was changed to the Sereia do Rio (River Mermaid)
King was changed to Capitão Feio (Captain Fray; his head only appears in area 10, area 9 still is King's head)
Tom Tom's Angel powerup was changed to Estrelinha Mágica (Magic Star)
Pina was changed to Anjinho (Angel)
The dolls were changed to fairies
Items are now found inside present boxes
The skate colors were changed to contrast with Mônica's clothes
The title screen was changed, but using the existing tiles as they are compressed
The game was fully translated to Portuguese, including the signs at the beginning and ending of reach round

ROM info:
Database match: Wonder Boy (USA, Europe, Brazil) (Rev 1)
Database: No-Intro: Master System (v. 20210216-223458)
File/ROM SHA-1: 63149F20BF69CD2F24D0E58841FCFCDACE972F49
File/ROM CRC32: 73705C02
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 pm
Very interesting! I appreciate what you did here. From a nostalgic view, it trully feels like playing something Tectoy could have done.
It makes me wonder how it would be, had they made it and released among their initial cartridge batch, back in 89! This probably would be a top seller! =)
I think it just needs an improved title screen. ;)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 pm
tsp wrote
Very interesting! I appreciate what you did here. From a nostalgic view, it trully feels like playing something Tectoy could have done.
It makes me wonder how it would be, had they made it and released among their initial cartridge batch, back in 89! This probably would be a top seller! =)
I think it just needs an improved title screen. ;)
Thank you very much for the feedback! The problem with the title screen is that the tiles there are compressed and there's no easy way to edit them, so I had to improvise using the already existing ones, that's why the M, the C and the A in "Mônica" look rough around the edges.
Awesome hack
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:46 pm
Awesome hack chirinea - the original Wonderboy is one of my favorite all time arcade games and the Sega Master System had arguably the best port so I always enjoy any / all mods to this 8-bit classic - thanks!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:32 pm
SteveProXNA wrote
Awesome hack chirinea - the original Wonderboy is one of my favorite all time arcade games and the Sega Master System had arguably the best port so I always enjoy any / all mods to this 8-bit classic - thanks!

Thank you, SteveProXNA! I was under the impression my hack would only appeal to Brazilians, I'm glad I was wrong.

By the way, here's a video where I discuss the creative decisions behind the hack:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am
Awesome! The cartridge looks straight out of a parallel universe where it was indeed released by Tectoy! ^^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 pm
Really nice video explaining your work!

I believe maybe somehow on the forum could help you if you wanted to redo the title screen. Maybe wait for a potential update before making a few cartridges (I may want one if you do ;).

Cheers!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm
I already half volunteered to do it… but didn’t start yet. The compression algorithm is documented on the wiki, but it might be easier to replace it with a new one.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 pm
Maxim wrote
I already half volunteered to do it… but didn’t start yet. The compression algorithm is documented on the wiki, but it might be easier to replace it with a new one.
If it was possible to implement the compression algorithm in Master Tile Converter, I could be able to make it myself. I successfuly updated the title screen in Pit Pot for my new hack using MTC.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:47 am
chirinea wrote
Maxim wrote
If it was possible to implement the compression algorithm in Master Tile Converter, I could be able to make it myself. I successfuly updated the title screen in Pit Pot for my new hack using MTC.

Fala Chirinea blz?
Na minha hack do Adventure Island sofri com essa compressão também. Só que diferente de você que a galera aqui ta querendo ajudar, na época ninguém quis me ajudar com ela. Hoje um amigo me deu uma força e fizemos a expansão da rom e tiramos a compressão. Ficou mais fácil editar sem aquela parte chata do MTC com limitações de tamanho.

Espero que o Maxim ou outra pessoa adicionem outras compressões no MTC. Eu fiquei anos pedindo isso para o autor e outras pessoas da scene de master mas foi completamente ignorado. Tirando o Calindro, Slogra, xfixium, Haroldo e BcnAbel76... esses sempre me ajudaram ou tentaram ajudar.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:44 pm
Last edited by chirinea on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Good news, everyone! Thanks to sverx who made a BMP2TILE plugin, I was able to update the title screen. Version 1.1 of the hack is available at its page. Here's how it looks now.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:47 pm
EmuBoarding wrote
chirinea wrote
Maxim wrote

Fala Chirinea blz?
Na minha hack do Adventure Island sofri com essa compressão também. Só que diferente de você que a galera aqui ta querendo ajudar, na época ninguém quis me ajudar com ela. Hoje um amigo me deu uma força e fizemos a expansão da rom e tiramos a compressão. Ficou mais fácil editar sem aquela parte chata do MTC com limitações de tamanho.

Espero que o Maxim ou outra pessoa adicionem outras compressões no MTC. Eu fiquei anos pedindo isso para o autor e outras pessoas da scene de master mas foi completamente ignorado. Tirando o Calindro, Slogra, xfixium, Haroldo e BcnAbel76... esses sempre me ajudaram ou tentaram ajudar.
O sverx fez um plugin pro BMP2TILE com a compressão do Wonder Boy, agora você pode atualizar seu hack também!

(Sverx did a BMP2TILE plugin for the Wonder Boy compression, now you can update your hack too!)
v1.02
Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 am
Today I released a new version. Since I'm now able to edit the compressed graphics in the game, I changed the game font to support Portuguese accented characters. Now the translation is more accurate.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 am
chirinea wrote
Good news, everyone! Thanks to sverx who made a BMP2TILE plugin, I was able to update the title screen. Version 1.1 of the hack is available at its page. Here's how it looks now.

Ficou show! Então vc não usa o MTC? Me manda ele em mp depois... da pra mexer em tudo agora? Até nas fases? Abraço.
Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:04 pm
chirinea wrote

Parabéns, cara! Ficou excelente! Se vc resolver fazer uma versão física, eu vou querer com certeza. ^^
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!