Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Is there demand for 2-player games anymore?

Reply to topic
Is there demand for 2-player games anymore?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:06 am
Former SEGA and Xbox head Peter Moore speculates that living room TV gaming has become marginal in favor of bedroom monitor and phone gaming, and couch multiplayer has become marginal in favor of single-player and online multiplayer. From an interview published in "Microsoft Will Be Debating Right Now Whether Xbox Consoles Have a Future, Says Peter Moore" by Wesley Yin-Poole:
Peter Moore wrote
And what are we doing? Well, we're not in the living room anymore. We're back in the bedroom with our YouTube influencers, our TikTok creators, and it's about content on demand. And we are going through the same thing in sports. So you're seeing all of these different pressures, if you will, on this next generation that Phil's talking about. Gen Z is coming through and they're going, why do I need to spend four or 500 bucks on a bespoke piece of gaming hardware when I've got my smartphone, or I got my PC or my Mac, and I can do things there with a pretty decent controller?

This caused me to doubt whether supporting a second controller for player 2 is worth it anymore. Does the Master System differ from modern platforms as to whether people are willing to get together and plug in two Control Pads?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:39 am
These things come and go in cycles. Right now we're at the point in a cycle when in-person multiplayer gaming isn't as common as it used to be. I have little doubt the cycle will change, just as short-play arcade style games faded but have made a massive comeback.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:43 am
wasnt one of the first launch titles of the current console generation a 2 player game? (Snipperclips was the name?) I mean obviously it isnt as common as it used to be, but thats just change, i love doing 2 player and i think a lot of people still do, i wouldn't be so doomer about it.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:05 am
I wonder how many families have two children nowadays - but that's a larger topic likely.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:37 pm
I wish I could play multiplayer games offline with my friends, but... well, they're all simply over the internet now. I don't know people offline for this sort of thing anymore.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:53 pm
Honestly, most SMS game players are rarely playing with other people because the density of SMS fans is too low. The exception is when we have meetups and retro events with game competitions, where (as you’d expect) multiplayer games are a great thing. It might be nice to have games that support internet play but doing that on an emulator with games expecting synchronous, low or zero latency interactions requires a lot of work on synchronisation and rewinding time - and I’m not aware of a good implementation of that.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:03 pm
After buying my Wii U last year, I only bought local multiplayer games for it. For me, playing video games is something I usually don't do alone so single player games and online multiplayer games aren't really attractive to me.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:29 pm
It's not a direct answer to the OP question, but my first thought to making a 2 player game was "what will I have to cut from a 1p game to make it run smoothly with 2p!"
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:06 pm
This sort of thread has reminded me of how badly I wish I could do a 4 player Cadash game, but that'd need having the two arcade cabinets linked together. Argh. That'd be so much fun.

Nobody's even made a hacked version of the game to play nice with online. Oh well.
Is there demand for 2-player games anymore?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:16 am
No doubt the single player and OLMP genre is big right now (eg Fortnight) but there are still console co-op games out there. Sonic superstars comes to mind.

Gaming will vary household to household, but for my house at least, it's a social experience. There are 2 large screens and 3 consoles (atm) in the main living area. No laptops or consoles in bedrooms.

One thing's for sure; 20+ years on and Peter Moore still has no idea what's coming up next in gaming. He's clearly looking sideways at numbers and what others are doing.

At least the big N had an idea for a point of difference for the Switch, bridged the gap between a portable and console, and are now reaping the rewards.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!